Galaxy S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
"I went to the store and played with it and it lagged. I'm going to disregard that it's a demo unit and tell everyone it was slow after my 5 minutes of using it." - Most everyone in this thread

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
It may of been bogged down from users installing things and changing settings that would result in your experience. Not a good representation of what the device can actually do.

I was at a really small authorized dealer store. I was one of the first people to play with it. Lol I live in the country.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It could have been because it was a demo unit and had additional stuff loaded on it
Before I got my phone, I went to Best Buy and they had two demo units...one was blazing fast and the other was really laggy for some reason
My phone is blazing fast no lag so far, and I am really glad its like that

Maybe people don't use ART. Maybe people don't cut the animations in half. I have no idea, but there's nothing laggy about this phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With most Galaxy devices I didn't like TW.. As other have said it has to many animations to draw which causes delays sometimes. I now use Nova and don't really have draw issues or animation issues.. Whatever you want to call them :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So much bitterness in this thread. But nobody has bothered to think logically.

Yes, the GS5 lags. But all phones lag.

When any type of event or instruction to do something is sent to the system, there is a delay before it appears on the screen. The issue is perception. A 100 millisecond delay is something everyone would likely say is fast. A 50 millisecond delay is something nobody would notice. But both are lag.

Your eye and your brain has a point where it's acceptable, and where it is not. Once it reaches this point ?whether from other apps taking CPU time (it's not RAM like everyone thinks) or because of inadequate optimization or from poor hardware ?it doesn't matter why, we see it.

Consider this hypothetical situation. You think something is laggy if it takes more than 150 milliseconds before you see any action on the display. The Moto G can open the app drawer in 145 milliseconds, but it takes the S5 155 milliseconds. You can not distinguish 10 milliseconds of time (our brains just can't do it) but we can see "lag" in the S5 because it is over our threshold. Add in an extravagant animation (which most people enjoy seeing) and it feels even worse.

To me, the real question is: What are you doing or who are you that an 10 extra milliseconds makes a difference?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
To me, the real question is: What are you doing or who are you that an 10 extra milliseconds makes a difference?

I don't think anyone is worried about an extra 10 milliseconds, it's when the phone noticeably lags or stutters. There's a clear difference in what an animation is when I press the Message icon and it opens compared to when I tap in a text area to type a text message. At times I can literally see the animation frame by frame as I send the message and it goes form the text area to the message window. That's lag, stutter, or whatever you want to call it. Kill some apps or reboot and it's fine. Too much TouchWiz, too little RAM (or too much old, bad TW code).

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So much bitterness in this thread. But nobody has bothered to think logically.

Dude...did you just use the word logic with the "interwebz people" - they're going to need a definition of the word. I wonder how many of these stupid debates would end if every forum required you to prove you actually owned a device before opening your mouth about it. And yes, I genuinely believe in that...will never happen, but a man can dream about a place where people living imaginary lives measure their imaginary ePen0s's against each other because one guy ponied up $200 for one device, and someone else ponied up the same amount of money for a different device.

Jerry? Don't you know...everyone on the internet is a super-ninja-investment-broker-double-secret-super-agent-model-twitter-****

First world problems people...first world problems

Jack

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

Lol that actually made me laugh pretty hard, thanks for that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It might be a tad bit slower. Either way I will stick with the gs5. Stock android is dull and boring.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with touchwiz and it's heavy animations. After using the new touchwiz and sense 6 for the past few days I very much noticed that. Sense 6 is more like a stock android with some goodies added and a few features. Touchwiz is VERY feature packed which might cause a hiccup here and there. No biggie. Unless you suffer from ovessive compulsive lol.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
That diverts from the real point though, which is, as you said, "we can see "lag" in the S5 because it is over our threshold". Some people aren't happy about the fact that other phones give a smoother, more pleasant experience. What it truly comes down to is where someone prioritizes such things.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That diverts from the real point though, which is, as you said, "we can see "lag" in the S5 because it is over our threshold". Some people aren't happy about the fact that other phones give a smoother, more pleasant experience. What it truly comes down to is where someone prioritizes such things.

Well that is why you have a choice

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dunno.... I've see a few side by side comparisons with the Nexus 5.... and while the slightlyless powerful Nexus is a bit smoother and peppier than the S5, seems to me that the average user may not notice it all that much unless you held the two side by side.

Though, where the S5 DOES seem to have a noticeable disadvantage is multitasking. It was noticeably slower to switch between apps, and the heavier RAM footprint of TW was evident (there were fewer apps kept in memory to quickly switch to). But the fact still remains that the S5 is still a VERY fast phone.... sure, it might not be as responsive as a Nexus 5, or the M8, but it's not that far behind on most things and other than task switching, the difference isn't all that noticeable.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Mine is laggy. Pressing the home button takes a second to get back to the home screen. Camera app takes 2 seconds to open. General lag all around. I want to keep the phone. Hoping that the lag gets patched out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Turn off the double tap the home button to launch s-voice. What's happening is every time you hit the home button the phone is holding on to see if you tap it again. If you turn it off you'll see a major difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I sometimes experience lag when using the fingerprint scanner to unlock, its like it's deciding whether or not it's me, but the majority of the time it opens right away. I've stopped using the fingerprint scanner at the moment because i find it kind of annoying having to hold my phone in a different way for a few seconds to unlock it. I am lazy. However when using the phone in other situations I have not experienced any lag that I have noticed. That video comparing the opening app speed to the HTC One M8 has wounded me slightly but I chose the S5 and I believe in the end it will be better, after having had two HTC's that just kinda gave up at being good after a bit.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty this phone is very responsive. Yes I have experienced lag on certain occasions. I turned off the double tapping the home button to launch s- voice because every time I pressed the home buttton the s5 would wait to see if I was going to tap it again before bringing me home which can make it seem laggy. Another place where I experienced lag was with the Samsung keyboard. I use Google keyboard which I feel is superior anyways. Also I found lag when I had almost all my applications still running in the background.
All these situations are easily remedied and don't represent a lack of performance on the phones part. I think everyone who is frustrated needs to take a deep breath and realize this phone just got released and will have its bugs. All of which will be solved in due time with updates to the os and to the individual apps not fully optomized for the os.
If you really want to experience what REAL lag is try using the phone you upgraded from for a day and I guarantee you'll see a difference.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty this phone is very responsive. Yes I have experienced lag on certain occasions. I turned off the double tapping the home button to launch s- voice because every time I pressed the home buttton the s5 would wait to see if I was going to tap it again before bringing me home which can make it seem laggy.

Yeah, they've had that 'feature' for quite some time now. I had two Galaxy phones, and never liked the fact that S-Voice, which I NEVER used, would hold my home button hostage. Does anyone use S-Voice? I played with it way back in the day, but it seems to me that Google Now kind of has that market cornered and Samsung should just accept fate and stop trying to get people to use it.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Turn off the double tap the home button to launch s-voice. What's happening is every time you hit the home button the phone is holding on to see if you tap it again. If you turn it off you'll see a major difference

Can you walk me through how to turn this off in the settings menu? I can't seem to find it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid