[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hey guys I just ordered a new LG G3 phone.

I read over this thread and just wanted to confirm if this method will still let me keep my unlimited data plan.
Line 1(my line): Unlimited
Line 2(iphone 4): Tiered 2GB data plan.-Update Available

Line 2 had the upgrade available and is originally a 2GB data plan, I used Line 2 to upgrade and order the LG G3. Line 2 is originally using the iphone 4 with 3G micro sim card. When I checked my Verizon order it appears they have shipped a 4G sim card with the phone(not sure if this info is relevant).

So from what I am reading is I can just receive that spanking brand new LG G3 and pop in Line 1 UDP sim card that I use into the LG G3 and I can still keep the unlimited data plan? Do I need to something specific if I activate online about switching device option? Would it be easier to activate through phone?

OR

Do I do the method in which I receive the G3 activate it on Line 2 and then deactivate it. Pop in Line 1's sim card and activate it to continue using the G3 with unlimited data?

Thank you guys!

Just take SIM from your UDP phone and put it in your new G3 and your done.

Posted via Android Central App

samsungchargeuser

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Looking to get some confirmation from folks who have very recently tried this -

1. Line 1 - UDP - up for upgrade
2. Line 2 - Dummy Phone - Not ready for upgrade.

Can I transfer upgrade to line 2. Get a new smart phone with a 2GB data plan. Use it. Change back to dummy phone. Switch smart phone from line 2 to Line 1 and be able to keep UDP?

Thanks,

DroidxRage

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4 UDPs on Family Plan in different parts of the country

I've polled some folks on Reddit, and have had a few confirmations of people who have upgraded to various devices through Amazon and retained their UDP. I haven't tried it first-hand, but where I'm willing to sacrifice my UDP for a new device anyhow (I seldom go over 2GB), I might just take the plunge today.

My biggest holdup right now is deciding if I want to pull the trigger on the G3 NOW or wait for the Note 4 to hit. Note 4 will have the SD805, 4k, and S-Pen... but will probably also cost $2-300 at launch and I won't have a chance of hitting this loophole if it ends this week.

Decisions, decisions...

shm4h

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Quick question...I plan on doing this and want to make sure I don't mess anything up and lose my UDP. I have an iPhone 4, which from what I understand does not have a SIM slot. I called Verizon and asked them to send me an NFC SIM card. Once I receive it, can I order a phone through BB and then activate the SIM that Verizon sent me using my new phone from BB? Or do I have to activate the SIM BEFORE I order the phone from BB? Or do I have to activate the SIM before I put it in the new phone (if this is the case, can I wait until I receive my phone from BB, use a friend's phone to activate my new SIM, and then put it in my new phone right after)? Sorry for the confusingly-worded questions!!

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Quick question...I plan on doing this and want to make sure I don't mess anything up and lose my UDP. I have an iPhone 4, which from what I understand does not have a SIM slot. I called Verizon and asked them to send me an NFC SIM card. Once I receive it, can I order a phone through BB and then activate the SIM that Verizon sent me using my new phone from BB? Or do I have to activate the SIM BEFORE I order the phone from BB? Or do I have to activate the SIM before I put it in the new phone (if this is the case, can I wait until I receive my phone from BB, use a friend's phone to activate my new SIM, and then put it in my new phone right after)? Sorry for the confusingly-worded questions!!

My situation was exactly like yours...moving from iPhone 4 to a new smartphone from BB.

You need to get the SIM working BEFORE you place your order for a new phone at BB.
I borrowed a friends old 4G phone for a week or so. Got it working on my UDP line. AFTER the 4G SIM was working on my line bought a new smartphone on BB.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Can I transfer upgrade to line 2. Get a new smart phone with a 2GB data plan. Use it. Change back to dummy phone. Switch smart phone from line 2 to Line 1 and be able to keep UDP?

Thanks,

Yes but you only have a few days to use this loophole. It's posted all over the place here.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Currently, yes, that's how you do it. Transfer your UDP upgrade to a dumbphone line, upgrade the dumbphone, and then there's your new phone. It's recommended to activate the new phone first on the line you upgraded, then put the dumbphone back on it, and then use your existing SIM in the new smartphone.

However, after 8/24, they will require you to keep a data plan for 2 years if you upgrade a line, even if you put a dumbphone back on it. So you'll probably want to do that this week.

What is unclear is exactly how they plan to implement this. The method described above is the surefire method to upgrade now without losing UDP, but after 8/24 it will also require you to pay for a data plan for 2 years on the upgraded line, which makes the subsidy not worth it if you don't plan to use data on that other line.

Many folks report that they have upgraded a line, then directly activated that new phone on another line, without ever activating it on the line they upgraded. Apparently, this only results in a pending activation notice that expires after about a week, and then everything on your account is back to normal. There is the possibility that one could do this after the 24th and not have to pay for data, as the plan does not currently go into affect until the phone is activated on the line.

However, they may very well change this as well, as again their intention is for you to pay for data on the line you upgrade. They could easily just add the monthly charge on when the pending activation falls off, or they could charge you the subsidy if you never activate it. Or they may do nothing at all. We won't know until after the date. But it does seem safest to go ahead and do this now.

HuskyKMA

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

OK, there I did it. Ordered the LG G3 from Amazon. One day shipping, should be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Same here, did the best buy method with an S5, I will also keep y'all posted

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

My situation was exactly like yours...moving from iPhone 4 to a new smartphone from BB.

You need to get the SIM working BEFORE you place your order for a new phone at BB.
I borrowed a friends old 4G phone for a week or so. Got it working on my UDP line. AFTER the 4G SIM was working on my line bought a new smartphone on BB.

Are you sure? Because I thought as long as you didn't use BB SIM and just used Verizon's it's fine.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Are you sure? Because I thought as long as you didn't use BB SIM and just used Verizon's it's fine.

One of the things that keeps a forum useful and trustworthy is for people to speak from firsthand knowledge and personal experience rather than just expressing opinions. It is much easier to just start saying our opinions but that is how people hear unreliable advice and lose their UDP. Your suggestion might work or it could cause someone to forfeit their UDP.

There are several different forum threads on this topic here at AC. Before I purchased my new smartphone I read through the 3 most relevant threads on the topic of "The Best Buy Method." Some of the comments date back 2 years. They made it clear a working SIM was the way to safely upgrade WITHOUT losing UDP.

I was speaking from my firsthand knowledge and experience. I cannot confirm the other method and won't urge anyone else to try it. I've already got my phone so feel free to offer any advice you'd like but I suggest that advice MUST BE CONFIRMED TO WORK and should include a link to someone who has successfully completed that method.

YMMV

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

One of the things that keeps a forum useful and trustworthy is for people to speak from firsthand knowledge and personal experience rather than just expressing opinions. It is much easier to just start saying our opinions but that is how people hear unreliable advice and lose their UDP. Your suggestion might work or it could cause someone to forfeit their UDP.

There are several different forum threads on this topic here at AC. Before I purchased my new smartphone I read through the 3 most relevant threads on the topic of "The Best Buy Method." Some of the comments date back 2 years. They made it clear a working SIM was the way to safely upgrade WITHOUT losing UDP.

I was speaking from my firsthand knowledge and experience. I cannot confirm the other method and won't urge anyone else to try it. I've already got my phone so feel free to offer any advice you'd like but I suggest that advice MUST BE CONFIRMED TO WORK and should include a link to someone who has successfully completed that method.

YMMV

Agreed but for those who do have a SIM but isn't the right size have said it worked fine just getting one from Verizon and sticking it in the phone (instead of cutting their existing SIM). Only difference is that your previous phone should already be on existing 4g LTE otherwise you might have some activation problems. I'll update on my experience later down the road when the new Motorola phone and Samsung phones are released this fall.

DroidxRage

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site

Can someone confirm if this loophole is being closed this weekend? I'm seeing conflicting reports of it being this or the "add a dumb phone and swap upgrades" being closed out... and would appreciate that being cleared up.

If I have time to wait until the Note 4 is announced, I may just do that as well.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Can someone confirm if this loophole is being closed this weekend? I'm seeing conflicting reports of it being this or the "add a dumb phone and swap upgrades" being closed out... and would appreciate that being cleared up.

If I have time to wait until the Note 4 is announced, I may just do that as well.

NOT being closed. It's just that after 8/24 if you upgrade a basic line or tier line the data feature HAS TO stay on the line for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DroidxRage

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site

NOT being closed. It's just that after 8/24 if you upgrade a basic line or tier line the data feature HAS TO stay on the line for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's also what I've been reading mostly, and then I also saw some articles which lists both methods being axed so I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for confirmation!!

If/when I pull the trigger I'll report the date/site/and success here so people have more up-to-date confirmations. :)

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site

have one UD line, no contract, can i do the best buy trick on costco too?
it gives me this page...

"For the handset that you have selected you must choose from the following two options:

Upgrade your phone and keep your current rate plan.

Required Service for 3G & 4G Smartphones
The phone you have chosen requires one of the following data services. If the feature you choose is not compatible with your current plan we will notify you to change it. Monthly fee and data amount may vary based on compatibility with your current rate plan.

2GB Data Bundle with Personal Email
($30.00 / month) [Show Details]
More Everything - iPhone Monthly Line Access
($40.00 / month) [Show Details]
5GB Data Bundle with Personal Email
($50.00 / month) [Show Details]
10GB Data Bundle with Personal Email
($80.00 / month) [Show Details]"

can it be done on costco without loosing unlimited data?
also, im one month to month now, will renewing a 2 year contract help me avoid being throttled on october first?

Last edited:

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Verizon has announced that they will start throttling UDP users who use over 4.7GB per month if they have fulfilled their minimum contractual agreement and are on a congested tower. No one knows what minimum contractual agreement means but we are assuming it means you are off contract. And since Verizon is out to get UDP users, all towers are sure to be considered congested towers by verizon.

A 16GB iPhone 6 is likely to be $200 + the upgrade fee and if you signed up for the best buy reserve gift card, you get $50 off if you upgrade thru best buy.

I sell on swappa.

Thanks for the advice. If I transfer the UDP upgrade to the 2gb line and do the upgrade through the Verizon site, when I get the phone am I able to just go ahead and sell it right away, or do I have to do something first so that it isn't associated with my account. I was hoping to just be able to sell it right away so I could sell it as new.

I'm nervous Verizon might change the rules of when transferring upgrades after the 24th, that would cause me to lose unlimited data, otherwise I'd just hold out and maybe get the Moto S (Shamu) that's being talked about. I was looking to do this to upgrade, sell the phone, and the buy a new phone outright with the money in the future.

Have you had good luck selling with Swappa? I've referred people to buy from there before, but I've never sold anything myself, hopefully there would be less fees than selling on ebay.

-J

amc107

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I've read through a few of these threads and I am pretty sure of what I need to do to keep my UDP. I'm receiving my LG G3 today and want to check one last thing...

Line 1 (UDP) - Not eligible for upgrade - HTC 8X with 4G LTE SIM
Line 2 (2GB) - Upgrade available - Samsung Galaxy Stellar with 4G LTE SIM

I ordered an LG G3 directly through Verizon with the upgrade from Line 2. I understand that I can just pop Line 1's SIM card right in there and activate the G3, but I don't want to have a pending activation on there since Line 2 may want to switch to the HTC 8X. So I'm going to activate the G3 to Line 2 first, then reactivate the Stellar to Line 2, leaving the G3 free. From what I understand, I can at this point either use the SIM card that came with the G3 or use the current SIM card that I have in my HTC 8X. Is there an advantage to using one or the other? I've read that first activating the G3 on Line 2 will remove any risk of me losing my UDP, but I feel like using my current SIM card instead is even less risky for some reason... then again I thought I'd read about people having trouble receiving software updates by using their current SIMs instead of the one that shipped with the device. Any thoughts?

kay2014

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I transferred my upgrade to the basic line. Received the smartphone, activated the phone on the basic line then re-activated the basic phone back to the basic phone line. Do I now just put in my sim card (S3) to the S5? Other issue is after I do that, it now frees up the S3 which my husband will be using. He currently has a Droid Charge. That sim card does not fit the S3. He did have an S3 also but it's broken. Can I put his old sim card from the S3 to mine or do I need to go into the Verizon store to do this?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23