[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have an S5 coming! One quick question: as mentioned earlier in the thread, I've transferred my upgrade to another line in use by someone who is living on the other side of the country, so I don't have access to the tiered line phone. As someone who is cautious by nature, I'd prefer to still activate the S5 on the tiered line, deactivate it, then put my current SIM in instead of just putting my SIM in the S5 upon arrival-it just seems safer, and like many here, I'd like to make sure I keep my UDP.

Is there any way to easily remotely reactivate the phone on the line (iP5)? I'm assuming the current SIM in the iP5 will be deactivated if I use the SIM with the S5 that is programmed for the tiered line. Worst case scenario, I could send the person to the VZW corporate store less than a mile away, but I'd rather not make them do anything. :)

HuskyKMA

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: 4 UDPs on Family Plan in different parts of the country

Alright, popped the SIM out of my Galaxy Nexus and put it in my Amazon-purchased LG G3. Powered it on and went through the setup process. Texts and calls work fine. Verizon's website now shows that my phone is the LG G3 and best of all, shows that I have unlimited data!!! None of the features of the "new plan" that I selected when ordering from Amazon are showing on Verizon's website. I'll keep and eye on it over the coming days and week, but so far Amazon looks to be good-to-go!

Note: I did not call Verizon or go on Verizon's website to activate anything. All I did was put in my old SIM and power it on. I was a bit unclear on this, but if you have a working SIM already then you don't need to go through Verizon to activate anything.

smits18

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

I did the transfer upgrade from my UDP to a basic phone. Just got the Iphone 5S today. Is there a way I can activate the Iphone on the basic line without opening the box, and then put the basic phone back on that line?

I plan on reselling it. Thinking buyers would pay more if it is brand new never opened/used.

Would it just be easier to open the Iphone 5s box and activate, then put the basic phone back on that line?

Worldcup86

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I need help!
Line 1 = 2G data plan (NOT due for discount upgrade)
Line 2 = Unlimited data plan (due for upgrade)
Line 3 = dump phone (due for upgrade)
I don't want to mess with my Unlimited data plan (Line 2) so I transferred the upgrade from Line 3 to Line 1 and used Line 1 to purchase a S5. My plan is to use S5 for Line 2. Now, Line 3 shows "Device needs to be activated".

What should I do when I recipe the new S5? If

I continue to keep Line 3 as a dump phone? and

Use the new S5 for Line 2 without messing with Unlimited Data Plan?
Thanks!

Good news!
Got the new S5 phone today and activated Line 1 with new SIM (because I don't want to mess up with my dumb phone $10 per month). Switched Line 1 back to old phone (S4) with new SIM (because old SIM asks to call Verizon service). Use old SIM of Line 2 for new S5 and everything work smoothly. I checked data plan and everything are still the same. Will check data plan again for the next few day in case something change.

bmh383

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Alright, popped the SIM out of my Galaxy Nexus and put it in my Amazon-purchased LG G3. Powered it on and went through the setup process. Texts and calls work fine. Verizon's website now shows that my phone is the LG G3 and best of all, shows that I have unlimited data!!! None of the features of the "new plan" that I selected when ordering from Amazon are showing on Verizon's website. I'll keep and eye on it over the coming days and week, but so far Amazon looks to be good-to-go!

Note: I did not call Verizon or go on Verizon's website to activate anything. All I did was put in my old SIM and power it on. I was a bit unclear on this, but if you have a working SIM already then you don't need to go through Verizon to activate anything.

Thanks for this, I'm going down the same path, although with a Verizon-ordered G3 that I used a tiered line upgrade on (my unlimited line upgrade is also available but I decided to stay away from using it given some of the comments on forums - so I stole the tiered line upgrade :p). I was all worried about if I had to activate anything online and risk losing unlimited... but it sounds like I should be fine if I swap the SIM cards.. hopefully the Verizon upgrade doesn't muck things up. I should get the phone tomorrow so I'll confirm then. :)

jjt112

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Im giving the Amazon method a shot, should arrive tommorrow. Ill keep yall posted!

modilino

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I can confirm that this still works. We have four phones on UPD family plan (all unlimited). After many different tries we finally hit on it and got all four phones changed from galaxy S3s to shiny new Galaxy S5s. Just follow the directions and switch the sim cards.
We kept getting the email about a "problem with the order" fro Best Buy. We called them and canceled those. Initially we got only one to go through. Then we figured out only phone orders on the primary or first line will work. We transferred eligibility one at a time to the primary line and ordered all four phones. We waited for one to ship before ordering the next one. We never got the "problem with the order" email from Best Buy on the phone that was ordered on the primary line. BTW the primary line it turns out was not the same line as the primary account holder. It turns out it was the first phone on that data plan that was activated 5 years ago. If you don't know which one it is, just order a phone on all lines, if one goes through, cancel all the "problem with order" phones and keep transferring the eligibility to that line that worked and order another....and another, until all phones are upgraded. It doesn't matter what phone goes with the swapped old sim card from the old phone.
it feels good to Screw Verizon after what they did to UDP.

Smackus, I have done your method, with 2 UPD lines and 2 phones. The phones arrived, but I have not activated them yet. When you say "just follow the instructions and switch the sim cards," can you elaborate on that? Does anything special need to be done for the second phone/line since they were both purchased under the primary number via upgrade eligibility transfer?
Just trying to make sure I do the activation properly, thanks.

amc107

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I have an S5 coming! One quick question: as mentioned earlier in the thread, I've transferred my upgrade to another line in use by someone who is living on the other side of the country, so I don't have access to the tiered line phone. As someone who is cautious by nature, I'd prefer to still activate the S5 on the tiered line, deactivate it, then put my current SIM in instead of just putting my SIM in the S5 upon arrival-it just seems safer, and like many here, I'd like to make sure I keep my UDP.

Is there any way to easily remotely reactivate the phone on the line (iP5)? I'm assuming the current SIM in the iP5 will be deactivated if I use the SIM with the S5 that is programmed for the tiered line. Worst case scenario, I could send the person to the VZW corporate store less than a mile away, but I'd rather not make them do anything. :)

Just had this scenario myself. Does the person with the iPhone 5 have an older phone available that is not 4G? If so, this is what you can do:

(1) Write down the number of the current SIM card that is installed in the iPhone 5 (found thru My Verizon)
(2) Activate the S5 to the iPhone 5 line using the pre-installed SIM
(3) Deactivate the SIM in the S5 by activating a non-4G phone on the iPhone 5 line --- this is the only way I found to do it without contacting customer service. It'll say that the SIM card will be deactivated in 90 days, but I had no problems reactivating the original SIM (in your case, in the iPhone 5) just a few minutes later.
(4) Activate the S5 on your line by installing your SIM card
(5) Reactivate the iPhone 5 using the SIM card number you wrote down in Step 1.

I just did this last night and it worked flawlessly, UDP still intact. It took me several hours to figure out how to get the original phone back on the tiered line without physically swapping the SIMs --- hopefully this saves you some time! You will have to mess around with the data plan on the iPhone 5 line but I don't think it's much of an issue.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Just had this scenario myself. Does the person with the iPhone 5 have an older phone available that is not 4G? If so, this is what you can do:

(1) Write down the number of the current SIM card that is installed in the iPhone 5 (found thru My Verizon)
(2) Activate the S5 to the iPhone 5 line using the pre-installed SIM
(3) Deactivate the SIM in the S5 by activating a non-4G phone on the iPhone 5 line --- this is the only way I found to do it without contacting customer service. It'll say that the SIM card will be deactivated in 90 days, but I had no problems reactivating the original SIM (in your case, in the iPhone 5) just a few minutes later.
(4) Activate the S5 on your line by installing your SIM card
(5) Reactivate the iPhone 5 using the SIM card number you wrote down in Step 1.

I just did this last night and it worked flawlessly, UDP still intact. It took me several hours to figure out how to get the original phone back on the tiered line without physically swapping the SIMs --- hopefully this saves you some time! You will have to mess around with the data plan on the iPhone 5 line but I don't think it's much of an issue.

Thanks! I have an old flip phone lying around, so hopefully that will work. This doesn't sound like it will take too long to do now that you did all the legwork in figuring it out.

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm posting another success story on BB order. I wished I found out about this sooner (I bought Note 2 and 3 at full price).
I have UDP on 2 smartphone lines, on the main line I've been buying Galaxy note at full price (currently using Note 3), and my wife is still stuck on her Iphone 4s (which didn't have simcard) and I'm trying to upgrade hers. Both of our lines are eligible for upgrade, so I went ahead and order GS 5 on Tuesday (for the main line).
The phone got here today and followed the instruction. I took out the simcard it came with (cut and threw it), then insert my micro sim card from my Note 3. Placed a test call then check VZW online to see if my UDP plan still intact.
Once I confirmed everything stays the same, I went to VZW store and asked them to activate the S5 in place of my wife Iphone 4s.
When they tried to do it, it prompt them to switch my plan. But good thing the employee aware of this and said they have to do it on the main computer rather than the tablet they used to keep my UDP. They gave me new 4glte simcard for my wife's line and activate the phone.
Both line still have UDP :cool::cool:and I'm crossing my fingers that this method still work after 8/25. Hopefully, Galaxy Note 4 will be available for shipping too through Bestbuy.

dlcj21

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

Does this go into effect on orders placed before 8/24 but on phones activated after?

I get paid tomorrow, if I transfer my upgrade to my basic line and order the new phone tomorrow online, it probably won't arrive until Monday even if I select Overnight shipping. Will I be able to activate it/downgrade on monday or will I be stuck with the new data contract on that line at that point?

Does the transfer from unlimited line to basic line work in the stores or will they force me to get rid of my unlimited plan on the transfer if I try to do it in person on saturday?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

Does this go into effect on orders placed before 8/24 but on phones activated after?

I get paid tomorrow, if I transfer my upgrade to my basic line and order the new phone tomorrow online, it probably won't arrive until Monday even if I select Overnight shipping. Will I be able to activate it/downgrade on monday or will I be stuck with the new data contract on that line at that point?

Does the transfer from unlimited line to basic line work in the stores or will they force me to get rid of my unlimited plan on the transfer if I try to do it in person on saturday?

Usually, based on past experience, the line has to be activated before the date.

Stores can do it but most won't.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Usually, based on past experience, the line has to be activated before the date.

Stores can do it but most won't.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
If it is important to you, I would order tomorrow and spend a few extra bucks and choose Saturday delivery.
The increase is worth the piece of mind IMO.
GOOD LUCK

HuskyKMA

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

24 hours after making the switch and still showing unlimited data with the Amazon method.