So I cracked the screen on my S5 active...

sbdunks

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably the only person in the world who has accomplished such a difficult task at this moment, and I feel pretty stupid about it. To add insult to injury I was planning on selling the phone and ditching at&t. Still owe just under $600. Checked ebay and couldn't find any replacement screens on ebay, and the deductible is $200 (ouch!)

Do I have any other options besides going through an insurance claim? Will there be any replacement screens available at some point?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I thought of that once when my daughter cracked her iPhone. Problem there is that the replacement cost almost as much as the insurance cost. Might as well have a professional do it. I think some people out there are of the opinion that the Active should never break but I think I can state with some confidence, if you don't have a highly protective case on your phone (any phone), it is still possible to break it, especially if you drop it face down on cement. Until they come up with a screen that is made out of something else, that's how it is. I also hope that don't expect it to stand up if it gets run over by a car. ;)

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Samsung support? Recently sent in a broken sim slot Note 2 and they sent back a new phone for $75.

Use their new Hangouts support, it's fast and the people I've worked with on it were very knowledgeable.
Smart Personal Online Training

I'm probably the only person in the world who has accomplished such a difficult task at this moment, and I feel pretty stupid about it. To add insult to injury I was planning on selling the phone and ditching at&t. Still owe just under $600. Checked ebay and couldn't find any replacement screens on ebay, and the deductible is $200 (ouch!)

Do I have any other options besides going through an insurance claim? Will there be any replacement screens available at some point?

sbdunks

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Will be trying the helpout app that samsung/Google is offering. And it was a hard fall from my shorts pocket onto the edge of a sidewalk. uploadfromtaptalk1408623103502.jpg

Pictures don't do it any justice. It looks worse in person (and I took that pic with my crappy windows phone)

If it would have fell about 2 inches to the left, it would have fell on the grass and we wouldn't be reading this thread. Hopefully samsung can help.

Next question, any strong, solid cases I should look into after getting the phone repaired/replaced?

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Will be trying the helpout app that samsung/Google is offering. And it was a hard fall from my shorts pocket onto the edge of a sidewalk. View attachment 133064

Pictures don't do it any justice. It looks worse in person (and I took that pic with my crappy windows phone)

If it would have fell about 2 inches to the left, it would have fell on the grass and we wouldn't be reading this thread. Hopefully samsung can help.

Next question, any strong, solid cases I should look into after getting the phone repaired/replaced?

Oh wow, that still looks horrible!

If you don't mind the $50 price tag, I'd go with the OtterBox Defender series. They're a bit chunky, but they do work.
GALAXY S5 Active Case | OtterBox Defender Series

Jesse Anderson3

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
well your not the only one. only having my s5 active for only 2 weeks I managed to shatter the hell out of mind cant even read what I am texting it is so bad. you would think I would learn my lesson this being my 4 phone this year. smartin up and get a case for them but I have also broke them with cases to so, and refuse to buy a big *** bulky outter box case. for someone who has spent close to 7000 bucks on Samsung products this year. Samsung support better help.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
well your not the only one. only having my s5 active for only 2 weeks I managed to shatter the hell out of mind cant even read what I am texting it is so bad. you would think I would learn my lesson this being my 4 phone this year. smartin up and get a case for them but I have also broke them with cases to so, and refuse to buy a big *** bulky outter box case. for someone who has spent close to 7000 bucks on Samsung products this year. Samsung support better help.
Hopefully you can get some assistance with getting it fixed.

OP, let us know how it goes. Even if you are able to find a replacement scree, it may have a price tag of between $100-$150. For another $100 or so you can forgo the risk of further damage and additional costs by playing it safe and having it replaced by insurance. I know it's easier said than done, but something to consider.

Let us know how it goes.

BettysNephew

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I am using a Case Mate Sport, it is not as bulky as an OtterBox or Pelican and covers the back and sides but the screen is just recessed a bit so I put a screen protector on. Kind of similar to how Ballistic does it on their non belt holster model except it is one piece. I think the screen is recessed enough by the edges to prevent most reasonable drops, but not if it hits something pointy (technical term) in the center of the screen. If that is what you need to prevent you will have to get into the box type cases with 360° protection. I did send a note to Ballistic to see if they are going to build a case for the Active. If I get a reply I will post back.

BettysNephew

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Got an email back from Ballistic and it looks like they have little to no interest in producing a case for the S5 Active. Here is a copy of what I received:

Thank you for your interest in our Ballistic cases. Unfortunately, we will not be producing a Ballistic case for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active at this time. However, I will forward your request to our Engineering and Design Team for future considerations. If we can assist you with anything further, please feel free to contact us.

There is one that looks very similar to the Ballistic on the HHI website. Has anyone tried it?

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The variants of the S4s and S5's need to have the same attention as the regulars. It's like they make them and forget about em as a knock off. :(

Boom! From My S5

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The variants of the S4s and S5's need to have the same attention as the regulars. It's like they make them and forget about em as a knock off. :(

Boom! From My S5

Exactly. This is not a mid range phone (even many mid rangers have a bigger case selection than the S4/S5 Active), so why is it being treated as such? It's the same phone, but a little chunkier on the outside. We deserve cases too!

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. And here's a bit more ridiculousness at the risk of running off topic: we took the S4 Active to the Samsung reps at Best Buy because it wouldn't update to KitKat, and he couldn't even flash the ROM because the Active wasn't compatible with his Kies software. Wtf Samsung, why not support every dang phone you make?!

nrward

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
id be interested to know if samsung was any help. i dropped my new phone 2 feet on wood floor and it totally shattered. Samsung will replace glass for 167.50. they were not in any way interested in discussing any other help and they were not very nice about it1

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Cracked screens from a dropped phone are never covered under warranty, you always have to replace them.

Sometimes there are local people that are cheaper than Samsung and they replace screens for all phones.

For those that have insurance you might want to check into Square Trade. Your phone has to either be bought in the last 30 days or have carrier insurance when you buy Square Trade.

They give you a discount, it is about $99 for two years and a $75 deductible. The only thing they don't cover is a list phone.

vovermye

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
This phone is not indestructable...AT ALL. My brother, boyfriend and myself all got the s5 active.

30 days after buying mine, the screen cracked by a button and a month later it cracked across the top after falling out of my pocket. Now the charging port is messed up.

My boyfriend got his phone wet [in water for less than a minute, at maybe a foot of water] and it stopped working COMPLETELY! He had insurance and still had to pay 200$ for a replacement of a "waterproof" phone.

My brother is meticulous on taking care of his stuff. He dropped it and the screen now is USELESS!

It will cost $500 for our screens to be replaced (we have price checked).

Samsung will have raped us for $2800 in 4 months.

Brett Bailey1

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

Brett Bailey1

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Your not alone I have broke 2 of them and this first I dropped 1 time a single foot fall off a bench the second is 1 month old never dropped and the screen cracked I'm fighting with them on this

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't do much forums but this needs to be resolved! Samsung DOES NOT state specs for the 5 S Active as shock resistant, HOWEVER... AT&T does!!! AT&T states on their web page that this phone is shock resistant when dropped from 4 or less feet onto a flat surface! LIE! Mine fell on the floor from 1 foot and a 1/2 and cracked the screen! I have hours, days on the phone with Samsung and AT&T to realize that is AT&T who is doing this kind of false advertisement. They first tried to convinced me that it says "resistant" not "proof", but bottom line is that AT&T says they advertise the way they do because Samsung tells them what to say about devices. SO? They have intentional or unintentional bad communication with each other but WE HAVE TO PAY the repair? After having been fooled by AT&T?
I am up for sign a petition if anyone helps me start this!

Teresa Heginger

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't do much forums but this needs to be resolved! Samsung DOES NOT state specs for the 5 S Active as shock resistant, HOWEVER... AT&T does!!! AT&T states on their web page that this phone is shock resistant when dropped from 4 or less feet onto a flat surface! LIE! Mine fell on the floor from 1 foot and a 1/2 and cracked the screen! I have hours, days on the phone with Samsung and AT&T to realize that is AT&T who is doing this kind of false advertisement. They first tried to convinced me that it says "resistant" not "proof", but bottom line is that AT&T says they advertise the way they do because Samsung tells them what to say about devices. SO? They have intentional or unintentional bad communication with each other but WE HAVE TO PAY the repair? After having been fooled by AT&T?
I am up for sign a petition if anyone helps me start this!