Google Nexus 6 Preorder Info & Reviews

Did you cancel your pre-order after reading the reviews?

• Total voters

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone cancel their order after reading reviews?

Exactly why he is one of 3 I now have blocked on here... Tired of reading the ignorance.....

"Google's HDR+ mode helps with that some, bringing a little better balance. But it also exposes our chief gripe with the camera app. It's just slow. It takes more than a few beats to launch from a cold start, and even worse if you don't manage to actually launch it on the first try from the lock screen shortcut. (We're very much missing the wrist-flick of the Moto X here.) And you can take an HDR+ shot then have to wait a good 5 or 10 seconds for it to finish processing before you can tell if you need to take another one."

Sounds an awful lot like the Nexus 5. Because its the same software. The "you haven't used it yet" argument is weak when you're talking about this phone. Keep going to that well, though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: It's a typical Nexus phone, full of compromises

After ditching iPhone after years of loyalty without any fanboyism, I picked up the Note 4 and thought it would pass Apple by 100 yards. Boy, was I wrong. I posted my complaints of the Note 4 in the Note 4 forums, you can search if you'd like. Then I had a realization when Google announced their new Nexus device. I thought to myself, "My fiance is due for her upgrade in December. Maybe I can hand her my Note 4, take her renewal and get myself the N6." So like all of you, I've waited for the reviews to pop up on YouTube and finally got to see some videos late last night after work. I am not totally impressed with the N6, like many of you. Now the question that I have to live for the next month (or two) is:

"To swap with the N4 for the N6, or not to swap." That is my question.

Or..just go back to Apple. :)

At least your honest and open minded about it all... and not trying to hand pick and recycle the very little amount of negativity about it without any actual hands on with the thing....

Nothing wrong with going back to Apple.. They make a good solid product... Yes it has some limitations and compromise but as I've said before.. Name a device or OS that doesn't?

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I respect Phil, I know he knows his business, but he's clearly one of the few detractors out there. It may just be his personal preference or it may be a defective demo model or it could actually suck as bad as you and he seem to think it does. That said I could give a rat's *** about someone else's opinion is of a phone that I want, regardless of whether he's an editor of a blog or some faithless automoton that mindlessly follows his reviews as though they were gospel.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Nope. Google has a 14 day return policy (as does moto). I'll try the phone for myself. Make my own opinion about it, and if I don't like it, the worst that happens is I have to return it. Not a big deal. I don't really listen to reviews. Everyone's experience is different.

Posted via Android Central App

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Google has a 14 day return policy (as does moto). I'll try the phone for myself. Make my own opinion about it, and if I don't like it, the worst that happens is I have to return it. Not a big deal. I don't really listen to reviews. Everyone's experience is different.

That's my plan as well. Have 30 days here in CA to return the device to Moto. Figure after a few weeks, I'll have a pretty good idea of whether to keep the Note 4 or Nexus 6.

But I will admit, I was disappointed by some of the lukewarm reviews, especially from Anandtech, which is a site I've come to respect.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I respect Phil, I know he knows his business, but he's clearly one of the few detractors out there. It may just be his personal preference or it may be a defective demo model or it could actually suck as bad as you and he seem to think it does. That said I could give a rat's *** about someone else's opinion is of a phone that I want, regardless of whether he's an editor of a blog or some faithless automoton that mindlessly follows his reviews as though they were gospel.

Respect and blindly following someone off a cliff are two totally different things..

I have high hopes for this device.. but I can't clearly say one way or the other until I have it... Yet a select couple of people on here have just blindly dismissed almost every aspect of the device as faulty or below acceptable standards..... and on top of that amazingly continue to argue with the majority their negativity nonstop....

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I trust that someone who's used the Nexus 5 extensively can compare it to the same software on a larger device. Because that's all this is. I know you all want this to be false and your only saving grace is telling me that I haven't used it, but this is getting to a point of denial because you already put $650-750 down on it.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I trust that someone who's used the Nexus 5 extensively can compare it to the same software on a larger device. Because that's all this is. I know you all want this to be false and your only saving grace is telling me that I haven't used it, but this is getting to a point of denial because you already put $650-750 down on it.

But it all comes down to everyone's own personal experience. Maybe some people won't notice or care about any of the problems reviewers have mentioned. Maybe a lot of people will care. But at the end of the day, we can all make our own decisions.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

But it all comes down to everyone's own personal experience. Maybe some people won't notice or care about any of the problems reviewers have mentioned. Maybe a lot of people will care. But at the end of the day, we can all make our own decisions.

Never disputed that. I've said multiple times that if those things don't bother you and you buy the phone anyways, that's 100% cool with me. It's your money. Pretending these issues don't exist is another thing entirely. If you've used a Nexus 5 camera, the software is slow and clunky, especially with HDR+. For someone to cite the same issue with the 6 running the same software isn't just conjecture. It's there. If that doesn't bother you because it didn't bother you on the 5, then awesome. You're going to still be happy with the 6.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

It just seems like you, as well some others, are already judging a device that's not even in the hands of consumers yet. And you're doing it based solely off of reviews.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to the person who posted Phone Arena's review. Google Nexus 6 Review.

In the comparison charts, you can add a phone model. I'm coming from the Note 2 and most comparisons to the N6 are against one-year old phones. Phone Arena gives the ability to compare.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you to the person who posted Phone Arena's review. Google Nexus 6 Review.

In the comparison charts, you can add a phone model. I'm coming from the Note 2 and most comparisons to the N6 are against one-year old phones. Phone Arena gives the ability to compare.
Np.. I tend to hate his video reviews since I find his voice annoying lol but I tend to like his opinions though and noticed his was up looking on the website

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

These reviews are all I have to go by for now. I'm using them to determine if I want to have $700 tied up and have to go through the hassle of a return of if I want to pass for now. I can always still pass now and change my mind once the device comes out and we get more real world usage.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

It just seems like you, as well some others, are already judging a device that's not even in the hands of consumers yet. And you're doing it based solely off of reviews.

If you've used as many devices as I have, you'd know there's generally not a gross difference between next iterations, especially if the software is the same. Pretending like this is some huge departure from the Nexus 5 other than size is kind of hilarious. Keep going to that well of me not having the device, though. When you get it and see exactly what I'm talking about, it'll be amusing to discuss.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

When it's $700 coming out of my pocket and I'm done with returning stuff with my experience with t-mobile which is horrible I rather base if off reviews

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I got an order in yesterday morning, which ended up getting cancelled. My CC flagged the transaction as potentially fraudulent. Maybe because I had ordered 2 phones?

In the time it took me to talk to the CC company and get it ready to make the purchase again, I read reviews from the sites I trust (those with whom I tend to see eye to eye on most things). I decided not to make the order.

My primary concerns with a phone are 1) Large screen size, 2) Good camera, 3) Good battery, and 4) General speed/performance. I started comparing the reviews to my Note 2, and I couldn't justify the expense for the small improvements (or potential steps backward?) in those categories. It was the same analysis I did with the Note 4.

I really, REALLY wanted the Nexus 6, and I was about as excited about it as anyone. I was just a little let down by some of the shortcuts.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

When it's $700 coming out of my pocket and I'm done with returning stuff with my experience with t-mobile which is horrible I rather base if off reviews

Exactly. If you're cool with a similar experience that you're getting on a Nexus 5, but on a large device, than by all means get the 6. For those of us that may demand more, and reasonably so, putting $700 out for a device is a little bit more of a picky process.

joe_m_p

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

The Nexus 6 is the phone for me. Especially since Verizon denied me a Nexus 5. The Note 4 sounds like a great phone though.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I got an order in yesterday morning, which ended up getting cancelled. My CC flagged the transaction as potentially fraudulent. Maybe because I had ordered 2 phones?

In the time it took me to talk to the CC company and get it ready to make the purchase again, I read reviews from the sites I trust (those with whom I tend to see eye to eye on most things). I decided not to make the order.

My primary concerns with a phone are 1) Large screen size, 2) Good camera, 3) Good battery, and 4) General speed/performance. I started comparing the reviews to my Note 2, and I couldn't justify the expense for the small improvements (or potential steps backward?) in those categories. It was the same analysis I did with the Note 4.

I really, REALLY wanted the Nexus 6, and I was about as excited about it as anyone. I was just a little let down by some of the shortcuts.

If that wasn't a typo and you did mean Note 2, the Nexus 6 should be better in all those areas you highlighted. Same with the Note 4.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I should add an addendum to why I'm not re-ordering. The Nexus 6 looks like a GOOD phone. I'm not one to go through phones quickly, though. Whatever I get, I'll probably have for 2 years. I'm looking for a phone that will blow me away. Two years ago, that was a Note 2. All the improvements in the past 2 years have felt very incremental. Maybe 64 bit or something else will bring a more substantial shift next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte