2.2 still sucks...

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
So I dug out my old N1 to sell on ebay - noticed its running 2.2 and a lot of the same exact (not revved for ages) versions of a lot of the same apps my Droid X has and noticed something rather shocking...

Its WAY faster than my Droid X in every way (smoother graphics, faster execution). I'm tired of resetting this phone, zapping cache/data to restore performance to the phone and I'm tired of rebooting it when it gets horribly laggy.

Motorola has gotten strangely quiet its problems to be honest.

I could probably live with it if the phone has a reboot tool preinstalled. As it stands rebooting it is kind of a pain. I have to reboot it at least once a week... For a while it was just fine for quite a while, so I'm not sure what it is.

I'm not hard resetting this stupid phone again.

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!

Is it absolutely essential to do another factory reset? I already did so at verizon's request and it wasn't all that pleasant.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Surprised you had to boot up the n1 to notice? Welcome to android central, and search and destroy. Your x has superior hardware, take your time here......again, welcome.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!

Is it absolutely essential to do another factory reset? I already did so at verizon's request and it wasn't all that pleasant.

I'd be willing to bet that VZW didn't tell you to factory reset the way the instructions in the link terpitude71 suggested.

That method solved most of my initial issues with 2.2.

Basically what it boils down to is Google backups some of your app data and settings in the cloud and you'll never completely wipe and start fresh unless you blow that away too.

It's a PITA but trust me it's worth giving it a shot.

tmar23

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet that VZW didn't tell you to factory reset the way the instructions in the link terpitude71 suggested.

That method solved most of my initial issues with 2.2.

Basically what it boils down to is Google backups some of your app data and settings in the cloud and you'll never completely wipe and start fresh unless you blow that away too.

It's a PITA but trust me it's worth giving it a shot.

I agree. I used these directions to wipe my data as well, and WOW, what a difference. Seems that the old data from 2.1 was still around and causing phone to lag a bit on 2.2.

Now, it is very smooth. I even think moto blur is fast, and I have not had the urge to re-install lpp...

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I used these directions to wipe my data as well, and WOW, what a difference. Seems that the old data from 2.1 was still around and causing phone to lag a bit on 2.2.

Now, it is very smooth. I even think moto blur is fast, and I have not had the urge to re-install lpp...

I would never call blur fast :D
but it's much much better after a clean wipe on 2.2.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
All I gotta say is, this phone is not what it was hyped to be. 2.2 just shows how fail it really is.

I've had my Droid X since July 15th and on 2.1, it was the king of the castle. Overall a great phone. But with the performance enhancements brought along by Froyo, we can clearly see the faults in the TI OMAP processors and how they do not seem to play nice with Google's code. I hate saying this, but I am looking forward to replacing my X and it won't be by another TI OMAP/Motorola device :( sorry my fellow X'ers but this phone is borked, and its not just because of a buggy Froyo release.

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a few bugs. Specially with the camera. Other than that I haven't had many issues. Some yes, but it's a damn sexy phone. Makes my old Storm2 look and feel like a cheap Chinese toy.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The only bug that is really driving me up a wall, is the SD card being unreadable. I listen to music on my commute into work and what seems to be a daily (or 3x a time) occurrence is the need to reboot to play music.

kdkinc

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
The only bug that is really driving me up a wall, is the SD card being unreadable. I listen to music on my commute into work and what seems to be a daily (or 3x a time) occurrence is the need to reboot to play music.

Save the stuff from your sd card ,then reformat it. Only load back the music files and program and files you need that that you know what they are.
Sometimes Android does not replace or delete old system file and causes sd issues.
:cool::cool:

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know anything about processors, but this thing is way better and way faster than any phone I've ever owned.

Neither does the OP - the issues have nothing to do with TI/OMAP vs Snapdragon. Most of the issues with the DX are bugs from Motorola. All the processors are ARM and all the processors execute the same code. Same as an AMD CPU is the same as an Intel in the PC world.

WiFi - Motorola
Blur - Motorola
Snappiness - Motorola

I'm hoping for some bugfixes shortly from Moto or I may be back to an iPhone when my contract runs out with Verizon. I'm getting tired of the unreliable WiFi, the random reboots, the stuck processes that kill battery life, etc.

The phone was good on 2.1 but with 2.2 it seems like Moto F-ed up the DX. It's a shame as I really like Android and what this phone can and should do.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
All I gotta say is, this phone is not what it was hyped to be. 2.2 just shows how fail it really is.

I've had my Droid X since July 15th and on 2.1, it was the king of the castle. Overall a great phone. But with the performance enhancements brought along by Froyo, we can clearly see the faults in the TI OMAP processors and how they do not seem to play nice with Google's code. I hate saying this, but I am looking forward to replacing my X and it won't be by another TI OMAP/Motorola device :( sorry my fellow X'ers but this phone is borked, and its not just because of a buggy Froyo release.
:0 say it ain't so, dark!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I've done the reset thing - its fast about 90% of the time, but sometimes its just a dog. Like last night - when I did the unlock slider it just sat there for a good 40 seconds before it showed me my home screen.

My Nexus One was consistently faster (I had the same apps and it never slowed down ever and it had super smooth graphics), but I had to switch because AT&T's network was just not improving at all. The only really annoying bug on the N1 was the craptastic touch screen - that was a pretty showstopping bug.

Still - I was at a party this weekend - whipped out my phone to take a picture of something funny and all the camera app would do is crash on start... I had to reboot the phone to make the camera work. Doing this while tipsy/drunk was stupid and I missed taking a funny picture.

2.1 this phone was fast and perfect in every way - I really do wish I could roll it back. At this rate - I'm really probably never going to get another Motorola Android phone - I really should have got the Incredible.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had very similar issues. I did the whole wipe and restore thing, formatted the SD card, and I still have some of those issues. My only real problem is lagginess, however, plus the freezing on the M screen on reboot and the black screen after reboot (where all I have is a notification bar and a black screen). I'm debating on wiping and starting fresh again, which I'm probably going to do after I fix my home button that I chipped on Thanksgiving.

Other than that (and those issues are only occasional as long as I shut her off once or twice a week for about 5-10 minutes), this phone is a monster and a helluva lot better than my old Storm Uno and Dos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky