[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

i want an samsung s5 on the rest of the iPhone lines

Easy enough. You have two options:

Use a SIM Adapter
1.) Buy a SIM Adapter from Amazon (you'll need nano-to-Micro)
2.) Through Best Buy online, order the S5 using the upgrade on a line that contains an iPhone 5. Have the phone shipped to home.
3.) When the phone arrives, do not plug it in or try to charge it
4.) Power off the iPhone 5 and remove its SIM
5.) Take the iPhone 5 SIM and put it in the adapter. Put this combination in the S5. Destroy the SIM that comes with the S5.
6.) Power on the S5 and give it a few minutes to activate.

Just repeat the 6 steps two more times and you'll be all set. Make sure that each phone is ordered separately; however, you do not need to wait until one phone is done before starting to work on another.

If you did not want use a SIM adapter, the other way involves using opposite line upgrades:

1.) From Best Buy or Verizon online, order the S5 using an upgrade from a line that has an iPhone 5. Have the phone shipped to home.
2.) When the phone arrives, do not turn it on or try to charge it
3.) Log into Verizon online and select "Activate or Switch Device"
4.) Choose a different iPhone 5 line
5.) Choose "activate a phone that has never been on the account before"
6.) Enter the IMEI and SIM numbers that came with the S5
7.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the S5

You can repeat this method two more times and avoid using an adapter. The key thing here is to make sure that you activate the phone on a different line than where it was upgraded. You must keep the S5's straight!

Either method works fine. It's a matter of whatever you are most comfortable in doing.

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

but my question is not how to add the phones i got that straight how can i be 100% sure that if it all fails when i return the phones with in the 14 days what obligation verizon has to put the UDP back on all the lines after the return is done

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

but my question is not how to add the phones i got that straight how can i be 100% sure that if it all fails when i return the phones with in the 14 days what obligation verizon has to put the UDP back on all the lines after the return is done

If that's what you are worried about most, then do option 1 with an adapter. If something is wrong with the S5, you just move the active SIM back into the iPhone 5, return the S5 to Best Buy, and get them to give you your upgrade back.

If you screw up and accidentally activate the tiered plan, you'll need to: (1) return the phone, (2) get your upgrade restored, and (3) file an inactive pricing request with Verizon. This will take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month.

If you are not comfortable with any of this, then stick to buying used or full price phones. Even then, Verizon can strip you of your unlimited plan at any time.

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

i am willing to try it i was just saying if by some way when i get the phone insert my old sim if they end up switching me to a TDP then can i get my UDP back for sure and what are the steps of getting it back and who do i have to get my upgrade back verizon or best buy thank you for your help with out people like you verizon would win they are not happy with making a ton of money off of people they also want blood keep this alive

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

i am willing to try it i was just saying if by some way when i get the phone insert my old sim if they end up switching me to a TDP then can i get my UDP back for sure and what are the steps of getting it back and who do i have to get my upgrade back verizon or best buy thank you for your help with out people like you verizon would win they are not happy with making a ton of money off of people they also want blood keep this alive

If you are using your old SIM, but nature it is programmed to unlimited. You will not be put on a tiered plan unless you activate the SIM that comes with the phone. With that said, you would do the following in a worst case scenario:

1.) Reactivate the old iPhone 5
2.) Return the phone to Best Buy within the allotted time period
3.) When you return the phone to Best Buy, you will ask them to give you your upgrade back
4.) Then you will call Verizon customer service and have them fill out an Inactive Pricing Request.

After that, you wait....and wait...and wait until Verizon finally approves it and gives you back your unlimited. It might take multiple phone calls to check on the request, it might take escalating things to a supervisor or manager, but you eventually will get your unlimited back.

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

ok thank so much and have you worked for verizon how are you so knowledgeable
what is an inactive pricing request

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

ok thank so much and have you worked for verizon how are you so knowledgeable
what is an inactive pricing request

Inactive Pricing Request is exactly what it sounds like. You are asking (requesting) Verizon to be put on a plan (unlimited data) that they currently no longer offer via retail (i.e. inactive).

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

i wanted to ask if i could do this as well in addition to the 5 lines that i have there is also a 2 line sub account on that plan i have a samsung note 4 and an ipad 3 the note 4 for is on an edge plan with 10 gb can i wash all the phones through the note 4 line with the 10 gb data and just sign up the UDPlans with contracts and give them to that line one at a time days apart

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

i wanted to ask if i could do this as well in addition to the 5 lines that i have there is also a 2 line sub account on that plan i have a samsung note 4 and an ipad 3 the note 4 for is on an edge plan with 10 gb can i wash all the phones through the note 4 line with the 10 gb data and just sign up the UDPlans with contracts and give them to that line one at a time days apart

No as you can't move the upgrade to a different account.

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

So I just upgraded to an LG G3. I currently have a first gen moto x. Can I reactivate my old droid dna, which has a micro sim and put it in the G3, when it arrives, in order to keep my UDP?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

So I just upgraded to an LG G3. I currently have a first gen moto x. Can I reactivate my old droid dna, which has a micro sim and put it in the G3, when it arrives, in order to keep my UDP?
How are you getting the phone? Are you doing the Best Buy method? If you already ordered the phone I would advise against it. That may activate the plan change. I would just get a SIM adapter and use you current SIM card.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes, the best buy method. I've already ordered the phone. It will be here tomorrow. So reactivating my old droid DNA won't work? Is my only option to get a sim adapter?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes, the best buy method. I've already ordered the phone. It will be here tomorrow. So reactivating my old droid DNA won't work? Is my only option to get a sim adapter?

Correct. You needed to do that before ordering the new phone. Any SIM besides your current active one will be reprogrammed to the tiered data plan.

Posted via Android Central App

Curtis Johnson2

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

I want to upgrade my note 2 to the nexus 6 using the basic phone upgrade on line 3 without taking the data plan on the line. The nexus 6 uses a micro sim and my note 2 uses a mini sim. I am unclear on how to get do the best buy method without needing the micro sim from the the nexus 6.

line 1 UPD
line 2 Smart phone 2 GB
line 3 basic -upgrade able
line 4 basic

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

Purchased my new Samaung S5 under contract with the best buy method just like ( dusoccer10 ) suggested the phone came in today i swapped sims just like method requires still have data so far Screenshot952015-07-03-14-53-52-1.png

cleanerPA

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Just as a data point, I have two lines on my acct- one is UDP, one is a non-smartphone, basic line. Both were eligible for upgrades.

I bought a Galaxy S6 at Best Buy, selected to upgrade my basic line to the GS6, went through the various screens, chose the 500MB data plan (cheapest one), got to checkout. Got the phone, pulled the SIM card out of the GS6 immediately. I pulled the SIM out of my Moto X, stuck that into the GS6, turned it on. My phone still works, on the correct line.

I checked my Verizon account- this extended the contract on the basic line for 2 yrs but did not change anything else. Line charges are exactly the same still. UDP is still there.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I want to upgrade my note 2 to the nexus 6 using the basic phone upgrade on line 3 without taking the data plan on the line. The nexus 6 uses a micro sim and my note 2 uses a mini sim. I am unclear on how to get do the best buy method without needing the micro sim from the the nexus 6.

line 1 UPD
line 2 Smart phone 2 GB
line 3 basic -upgrade able
line 4 basic
There are several things you can do. You need a Nano SIM. I believe the Note had a micro sim. You still need to destroy the SIM so it did not activate the 2 year data plan on your basic line.

1. Cut your your sim down.
2. Go to a Verizon Autherized retailer and pay them to activate the phone on the unlimited line.
3. Call Verizon or go to a corporate store and get a nano sim for your phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Deok Lee

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

I want to know best way to upgrade..

Line1 : UDP upgradeable
Line2 : 4g 2017-6

I used my wife's upgrade(line2) last year.
But yesterday my wife's phone was broken.
SO I want to buy my wife's phone.
Which way is best way to that?