Korean Firmware Update November 20 2015

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Well Korea got another firmware update this morning. The update never gave details but here is what I've found so far:

In the settings under Device, there is now an "Auto open apps" option. Basically when you scroll through your apps list, whatever app you stop on will automatically open.

Also in the settings under "connections" there's an alert option now to be notified via vibration when disconnected from your phone.

Under the display setting there's now a screen timeout option. 15 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, or 5 minutes.

Also some bloatware was added. Apps added were a world clock, starbucks, a korean navigation app, and the flipboard news briefing app. Some watchfaces that have been added too, nothing new though, same faces that were shown at the unveiling. All of them can be uninstalled thankfully.

There's a notification indicator option now also in displays. It will make a little orange circle appear on your watchface until you've viewed the notification. Only works if you don't have notifications set to automatically turn on your screen in the Gear Android app.

When reading the text of a notification, it will make the font larger if you double tap the screen.

Cosmetic differences:
now says "add widget" under the + symbol when you scroll all the way right.

On a notification, when you swipe up to dismiss, it now shows a trash can.

For a notification reply, the emoji symbol has been replaced with a more traditional circle happy face.

When you scroll right on the watchfaces menu there's an option to "Add template" now. It then lets you choose from the watchfaces that can be stylized and make a new face from them.

eJTOeOH.png

TV81qLG.jpg

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. Sadly, none of the changes you listed address my concerns, but at least Samsung is working on something...

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I find this encouraging. Figured sales would be strong enough to warrant support, but just wasn't sure because this is my first Samsung product. I'm willing to forgive little problems when I early adopt, just as long as I know there's an effort being made by the manufacturer. I actually enjoy seeing a product like this evolve over time. Keeps the gadget interesting with each new update.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm particularly happy with the double tap to zoom/enlarge. Android wear has triple tap, and my failing eyes really appreciate it, although a huge or ginormous font size would have been better. Also, if that orange circle really is for ambient screen notifications, I will be even happier. Really miss that from android wear.

So, two of my four biggest requests may be on their way, and I NEVER get what I want.

Thanks for the thread, supersoulfly!

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Update:
Found a couple more things. There's a screen timeout option now in the display settings. 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min.

Also figured out the orange notification symbol. There's a setting for it in the display section. It only works though if you don't have notifications set to turn your screen on in the Gear android app. Think the auto turn on makes the watch think you've viewed the notification.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm particularly happy with the double tap to zoom/enlarge. Android wear has triple tap, and my failing eyes really appreciate it, although a huge or ginormous font size would have been better. Also, if that orange circle really is for ambient screen notifications, I will be even happier. Really miss that from android wear.

So, two of my four biggest requests may be on their way, and I NEVER get what I want.

Thanks for the thread, supersoulfly!

So here's what the orange dot is. It shows up at the 9 position of the watchface if you don't check your watch when a notification comes in. It doesn't work if you have your screen set to automatically turn on when a notification comes. I also show a comparison of the fonts being enlarged in the notification screen. One shows the difference from the medium font and the other shows the difference from the large font.

TV81qLG.png

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
impossible to update the firmware samsung gear (for s2) with nexus 6p. Message that the phone is encrypted. Can you help me ?
Thanks
Don't know where you're located, but I'm in the USA, and my non-3G S2 doesn't have the update available yet. I check every day, and I'm using an unencrypted Nexus 5. What version are you on? R720XXU2AOJ3 is the most current firmware version for the standard Bluetooth S2. R720XXU2AOIL is the previous version for the standard Bluetooth S2. The part of the firmware # that is important is the change from OIL to OJ3. Don't know what the even newer firmware version #1 will be. (and think the Classic Bluetooth S2 firmware starts with a slightly different firmware #)

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Update:
Found a couple more things. There's a screen timeout option now in the display settings. 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min.

Also figured out the orange notification symbol. There's a setting for it in the display section. It only works though if you don't have notifications set to turn your screen on in the Gear android app. Think the auto turn on makes the watch think you've viewed the notification.
Thanks! The new timeout is the 3rd of the 4th things I wanted most.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So here's what the orange dot is. It shows up at the 9 position of the watchface if you don't check your watch when a notification comes in. It doesn't work if you have your screen set to automatically turn on when a notification comes. I also show a comparison of the fonts being enlarged in the notification screen. One shows the difference from the medium font and the other shows the difference from the large font.

http://i.imgur.com/TV81qLG.png
So the larger font magnifying will definitely help, but they could have achieved this with a "Huge" font option, but I'll take it! As far as the orange dot, may not be as helpful as I hoped, as I do have my S2 set to automatically turn on when notifications come in. And does it display on the always-on watch face? That's the most important part to me. Tons of times I miss the vibration, and don't know I have a notification until I scroll left to see there's a notification. This is something that Android Wear definitely does better.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry I'm confused. Is this going to be for our watch here in the US? Or is this just a sign of things to come? I like the idea of the orange notification dot.

Posted via the Android Central App

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry I'm confused. Is this going to be for our watch here in the US? Or is this just a sign of things to come? I like the idea of the orange notification dot.

Posted via the Android Central App
If it is like the last (first) firmware update, Korea got it first, then the USA.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
So the larger font magnifying will definitely help, but they could have achieved this with a "Huge" font option, but I'll take it! As far as the orange dot, may not be as helpful as I hoped, as I do have my S2 set to automatically turn on when notifications come in. And does it display on the always-on watch face? That's the most important part to me. Tons of times I miss the vibration, and don't know I have a notification until I scroll left to see there's a notification. This is something that Android Wear definitely does better.

No orange dot with the always on screen. I was using my watch much in the same way as you. I turned the notifications auto screen on function off to try the orange dot though and I really prefer it. Don't miss the auto turn on much and while limited, that orange dot is really nice to have.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
No orange dot with the always on screen. I was using my watch much in the same way as you. I turned the notifications auto screen on function off to try the orange dot though and I really prefer it. Don't miss the auto turn on much and while limited, that orange dot is really nice to have.
Thanks for the confirmation. Not ideal, as it's really cool on the Android Wear always-on screen, but interesting that they're tinkering with things.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Supersoulfly, do you have the 3G or non3g? Obviously you have the Korean version, regardless. Just wondering if maybe this update is only for 3g. Were you in the US, when you got the update? Today is my last day to return my S2, and had really been hoping to have gotten the update to see if the tap to zoom helps with my eyesight.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Supersoulfly, do you have the 3G or non3g? Obviously you have the Korean version, regardless. Just wondering if maybe this update is only for 3g. Were you in the US, when you got the update? Today is my last day to return my S2, and had really been hoping to have gotten the update to see if the tap to zoom helps with my eyesight.

Have the Bluetooth Classic.

I got the update in South Korea.
The previous time I got an update here it took a couple weeks for the same update to arrive in the US. That is by no means a guarantee of the schedule for the US update though.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Have the Bluetooth Classic.

I got the update in South Korea.
The previous time I got an update here it took a couple weeks for the same update to arrive in the US. That is by no means a guarantee of the schedule for the US update though.
Thanks! Yeah, I recall rumblings of the last (first) "international" update on XDA Forums a couple of weeks before I got it.