Confirmed unlocked

itsmekalyan

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the new ATT edition lg watch urbane LTE is unlocked i am using it and tested on Tmobile

Lte works
Call works

Haven't tested anything else
041c0a09fc068d4abe4923ff35ba53d1.jpg

5078b65e9fe00a87af9411394526d0e2.jpg

3fb2922e021304fe568d2d3795146338.jpg

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

peterfares

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I can also confirm. Put an (unactivated) T-Mobile SIM in and the watch didn't complain at all.

I'm going to guess that Android Wear doesn't have any UI for unlocking, and AT&T must offer an unlock method for their locked devices so they just didn't lock it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Since it's SIM unlocked, does that mean VZW will work on it too? I would hate to go to VZW to pay $500 whereas I can pay $360 at ATT.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you know if it works with the $5 t-mobile add on plan?
Only one person I know of made it work with that plan last November. I had Tmo reprovision my wearables sim a few times, and each time it would lock up again as soon as it would detect my device. I even got a second wearables sim to try with the same outcome. (You can try for yourself, just make sure you tell the service rep that you need to talk to an engineer, then ask for the reprovisioning.)

They went as far as to post that their wearables plan now only works with Tmo Gear S watches on their website.

Unless they change their idiotic ways, it probably won't work. I use a prepaid sim with mine.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been following this forum since they announced the LTE version relaunch. I'm glad this is unlocked. I haven't touched my watch yet since I got it last night.

I've never used Tmobile service so this might be a dumb question or questions.

What plans can I use for this watch? I am going to a tmobile store tomorrow to get a sim card so what options are there? I see a wearable plan with 500mb, a tablet plan with 2gbs and phone plans. When I insert the t mobile sim card will I have a choice? I think the tablet plan for $20 is the best choice for me if I can switch it out between my watch and nvidia shield tablet. Is that an option? Sorry to be a tmobile and unlocked newb.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been following this forum since they announced the LTE version relaunch. I'm glad this is unlocked. I haven't touched my watch yet since I got it last night.

I've never used Tmobile service so this might be a dumb question or questions.

What plans can I use for this watch? I am going to a tmobile store tomorrow to get a sim card so what options are there? I see a wearable plan with 500mb, a tablet plan with 2gbs and phone plans. When I insert the t mobile sim card will I have a choice? I think the tablet plan for $20 is the best choice for me if I can switch it out between my watch and nvidia shield tablet. Is that an option? Sorry to be a tmobile and unlocked newb.
If you use a data only sim, you won't be able to make phone calls or text when outside of your phone's BT range. Their wearables plan is great in theory, and I used it with my ATT Gear S for a year, but the wearables sim never worked in my Urbane, due to the way Tmo checks devices that log into their network.

Someone here recommended Truphone prepaid, and that works really well for me with minimal cost.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Xendula! So I went to tmobile's website and they said if I put an unactivated sim it would "choose" the best plan for my device. Do you think it will default to a phone plan or another plan? If it defaults to a phone plan I don't think its worth activating and paying $50 a month. I'll look into truphone and other MVNOs.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You still need CDMA for voice or sms and it is required for activation.
I checked a few sources from Google and there's no CDMA. Only LTE Band 13. I'm going to assume VoLTE service or that NumberSync service.

Unless it's unlisted in the specs. But I only see LTE band 13.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Xendula! So I went to tmobile's website and they said if I put an unactivated sim it would "choose" the best plan for my device. Do you think it will default to a phone plan or another plan? If it defaults to a phone plan I don't think its worth activating and paying $50 a month. I'll look into truphone and other MVNOs.
My guess is Tmo would hit you with a cell phone plan. Be careful with other MVNOs: you can't manually change the APN settings ...

[edit: you could not change the settings on the original release watch, maybe/hopefully you can on the rereleased version with the newest software]

...and some US sim cards from cheaper providers don't send out the correct settings: I think Cricket and H2O were tried and only voice and txts worked but no data. I also used two European sims when overseas that were pushing the correct settings, so it seems to be more a problem with some US sims.
There is a thread in this forum called "Using it without a contract" or something like that, where different non working plans are listed.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
...and some US sim cards from cheaper providers don't send out the correct settings: I think Cricket and H2O were tried and only voice and txts worked but no data.....

Yeah I tried Ting and H20 and couldn't get data service on either. As Xendula said, I couldn't figure a way to change the APN settings. I have been using Truphone since January with full capabilities. I only use the watch away from the phone when I run so I only make a few calls/texts each month and the data use comes only from syncing GPS tracking info to the phone at the end of each run. For the last two months Truphone has cost me about $3 a month.

Can the APN settings be adjusted in the updated version?

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Truphone since January with full capabilities. I only use the watch away from the phone when I run so I only make a few calls/texts each month and the data use comes only from syncing GPS tracking info to the phone at the end of each run. For the last two months Truphone has cost me about $3 a month.

Did you put a new Truphone SIM in or setup on another device? I have one to use when I get my watch. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
AT&T version only support LTE band 2 and 5, no 13. And it also comes with regular GSM radios of 850/1900/2100. It is for GSM networks, not for CDMA providers. Verizon, like AT&T, only experiment with VoLTE. It still requires non-LTE radio for reliable voice and SMS service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quartetman