Would you recommend to other locals? Yes

Who was your previous carrier: Verizon

Additional thoughts:Better than I expected

Andrew Borys

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Phone: 6P

Voice quality: Ok, except when on Sprint

Typically data speeds: Varies from rubbish to great. Constantly buffers when streaming musing

Would you recommend to other locals? Yes/No No

Who was your previous carrier: Cricket

Additional thoughts: Fi is a great idea, but the connection issues are making me go back to cricket. Tmo state they have expanded coverage, but havent fixed the isses where they were before. If on tmo,there are dead spots that drop calls and buffer music. On sprint and blue tooth somethimes have to call multiple times before people can hear me. Overall, very dissappointed and going back to cricket. make be a bit more, but better service.

TCgetsBored

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site

Voice quality: Pretty good. (Explained below)

Typically data speeds: 18mbps Sprint 36mbps T-mobile

Additional thoughts: I work in down town Shreveport. I have noticed that I almost always have T-Mobile service until I near down town and it switches to Sprint. I have noticed on a few instances that there are periods of time that the call just goes silent for a 10-20 seconds. Sometimes it drops the call. I've noticed this is really only within 1/4 square mile area. Other than that, I've had no real issues.

Last edited:

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Phone:
Nexus 6

Voice quality:
Great

Typically data speeds:
60 mbps

Who was your previous carrier:
Verizon

Additional thoughts:

Great coverage. Tmobile signal herebis 4 bar almost all the time. Screw verizon!

Posted via the Android Central App

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Live in Maryland and work in Washington DC

Phone:
6P

Voice quality:
I would say an A-

Typical data speeds:
25mb to 45mb

Would you recommend to other locals? YES Definitely!!

Verizon

Additional thoughts: I cut my cell phone bill by $100 and haven't lost any coverage .. #Winning

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nexus 6P

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Phone:
6P

Voice quality: Good. Not as good as VZW Advanced Calling.

Typical data speeds: Not wasting bandwidth to test, but anecdotal use seems to have speeds comparable to VZW...but HSPA+ and LTE are not available everywhere that I have a 4G signal with VZW.

Would you recommend to other locals? Depends on use case. If you require data service everywhere and are currently an AT&T or VZW subscriber, probably not. If you are good with just voice/sms service in many areas, then it's a good value. T-Mobile and Sprint users should seriously consider it.

Verizon

Additional thoughts: I have some business trips over the next couple of weeks that will help me decide whether to move over completely to Fi. I'm on the fence now, because some areas I frequent have only voice/SMS service and WiFi is not available. Typically, data is only a convenience, not a requirement...then I travel. In a perfect world, Google will announce partnerships with AT&T or Verizon over the next few months. I love the simplicity.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Phone:Nexus 5x

Voice quality:Great

Typically data speeds:30mbps

Who was your previous carrier:Att

Additional thoughts: I would recommend Project fi to anyone on Sprint, Tmobile or any prepaid brand. I travel a bit for work in the north east and Have taken leisure trips as well. I traveled to Canada, and Dominican Republic recently. Service was great. Data speeds were decent. I kept calls to a minimum over cell. I did make calls back to the US over Wifi and it was free.

I actually found a market for project fi, small business. I make phone calls to the UK. When I had Att I had to have the $5 add on that lowered the rates to $.08 a minute to landlines and $.28 to cellphones. Project fi without any extra add on is $.01 a minute to landlines and $.03 to cellphones. I'm saving a bunch of money each month just on international calls. I made 15 hrs worth of calls last month to the UK. It would have cost me $72(plus the $5 add on fee) with ATT. With fi it only cost me $9. That's a big difference.

Summary: Recommended for Sprint, T-mobile, prepaid customers, small business, people making international calls, People that travel internationally regularly 2 or 3 times a year (or more)
Not recommended for data heavy users. Anything over 5-6gb per month you might find a better deal otherwise.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Phone: Nexus 6P

Voice quality: On one call, using WiFi, call quality was indistinguishable from previous usage. I did lose the ability to hear the other person after ~8 minutes but I've had the opposite problem in the past

Typically data speeds: haven't tested yet

Would you recommend to other locals? Yes/No Remains to be seen

Additional thoughts: Activation/port was quick and easy, already seeing better tracking of data use (previously I was seeing music streaming tracked on my Verizon usage, didn't see that this morning). My one interaction with CS was wonderful (posted about this last week). The only down-side is that the number can't be a forwarding number for Google Voice because it's technically a GV number already.

I'm paying $30 more per month than previously, but that's not fair since my phone was being paid for through a business plan that I had to AOL the line from.

cdenl001

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Location: Greenville, Ohio (also: Troy, Dayton, Miami Valley)

Voice quality: Excellent*

Typically data speeds: 10 - 30 mbs

Who was your previous carrier: AT&T.

Additional thoughts: One of the selling points for me was the international rates for both voice and data. I don't travel out of the country a lot, typically only once a year, but I liked the idea of reasonable rates for voice calls and data at the same rates as home. I just returned from a nine day trip to the Dominican Republic. While there, I could never get my data to work. I talked to and emailed (when I had WiFi) Fi customer support but was never able to get the issue resolved. Voice service was excellent there, service was always good regardless of where I was (Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio, and San Pedro). Texting worked fine as long as it was SMS. MMS wouldn't work unless I was connected to WiFi.

*I have had issues with voice calls over WiFi once or twice. I can always here the person I'm talking to just fine but a couple times they've complained that they can't always hear me. I suspect it has to do with my upload speed.

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Voice quality: Very Good

Typically data speeds: 5 to 10 mbps

Who was your previous carrier: Sprint

Additional thoughts: Sprint speeds are still slow-ish, but I spend most of my time on T-mobile's network. The savings are totally worth it.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Voice quality: very good

Typically data speeds: No usability issues sorry haven't tested yet wanted first month to be normal data usage

Would you recommend to other locals? Absolutely Yes

Additional thoughts: First month went better than I hoped. Less than 0.6GB of data used. Changing from 3GB down to 1GB. Had full data coverage where my wife's phone lost all VZW signal thanks to TMO band 12. Dumping VZW UDP before it jumps from $125 to $143 well worth it. Zero loss of coverage during my routine dropping cost below $40... Just waiting for my wife contract to expire to escape ETF. While I think she would be happy with 5X... It wouldn't be until after next Nexus announcement. So, I might give her my 6P so I can Upgrade....

Posted via nexus 6p project FI

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Phone: Nexus 5X

Voice quality: Decent (ranges from okay to very good)

Typical data speeds: 25-50 Mbps (when connected to T-Mobile); 10-15 Mbps (when connected to Sprint)

Would you recommend to other locals? Depends.

Who was your previous carrier: AT&T

Additional thoughts: I'm definitely saving money with Project Fi. My first bill will be around $30 (versus $60 on AT&T). I live in a neighborhood where T-Mobile coverage is atrocious but thankfully, I'm usually connected to a Sprint tower at home. Voice quality ranges from okay to very good. This is probably the only area where AT&T is superior, in my experience. I have yet to test Project Fi away from Phoenix, so the verdict is still in the air on that.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Phone: Nexus 5X

Voice quality: Excellent

Typical data speeds: 25-30Mb/s down 5-10Mb/s up

Would you recommend to other locals? Yes/No: Yes, definitely!

Additional thoughts: Since switching to Fi 7 months ago I have to say I've been impressed. I get excellent service and data speeds. I live in a rural area and even at home I get 30Mbps down.

Also, I traveled to the Dominican Republic last month, and the coverage there was great. I loved that it didn't cost me any more to use data and text. I was also able to make phone calls for ¢.20/min. I only made a few brief calls while down there, but the voice quality was great. I was very impressed with my international service. Back when I had Verizon I went to Great Britain. It was such a pain and very expensive.

My average bill over the seven months I've been with Fi is $51.90. That's half what I was paying with Verizon. I'm very happy with that since I get basically the same coverage everywhere I regularly go.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

Last edited:

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Voice quality: Fine while on network (WiFi calling has had issues).

Typically data speeds: Untested but no noticeable difference from previous carriers in serviced areas.

Additional thoughts: Service works great in/around Des Moines. Sprint and T-mobile do not have great coverage in Iowa so you can quickly lose service once you get outside of a heavily populated area. I've had some issues with calls while on WiFi (I do not believe it was due to my connection). Overall, it's a great alternative for those who have an office job. If you travel frequently around the state, be sure to check coverage areas before switching. Hopefully T-Mobile will continue to expand their network in the state.

eseerc

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

Phone: Nexus 5x

Voice quality: Good

Typically data speeds: 1.5-3.0 mbs

Would you recommend to other locals? Yes/No - Yes depending on current plan pricing and phone needs

Who was your previous carrier: AT&T

Additional thoughts: I purchased Fi service with the intention of just trying it out (I did not port my actual mobile number over). In my area, the data speed is very slow but I found the service to be consistent and not leave me "hanging" ever. For my wife and I, it does not make financial sense for us to switch to Fi because my plan with AT&T is right on par with what we would pay on Fi and we get more data and much faster speeds through AT&T. In my area, I see this service as a great option for people who do not use much cellular data (using their phone more primarily for voice/text).

I'll be returning my phone and cancelling service next week, but its a great experience and concept overall!

kwright817

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Voice quality: Great

Typically data speeds: 20 Down / 15 Up; Max: 70/35

Additional thoughts:

Great service at a great price. With VZW I was getting .06 Down and .03 up in the Nashville area. So, this is a great improvement. I look forward to US Cellular to fill any gaps in coverage, but so far have experienced none.