The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristarchus

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Posting it on their twitter count puts them on the watch, so this can't be ignored. Still, I'm thinking of loading a custom ROM soon. I trust the hacker community to fix all the bugs in a timely manner more than Samsung/Sprint.

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You think the phone company's will learn? Will they stop putting in their crap? It slows down the update process and gives less headaches.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
They also said that 2.2 was suppose to be out for the Epic by the end of the year. Another promise broke. So whatever Sprint and/or Samsung says, take it with a grain of salt because they have proven time and time again that their word doesn't mean anything. Bad PR for both companies.

That wasn't a promise.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
They also said that 2.2 was suppose to be out for the Epic by the end of the year. Another promise broke. So whatever Sprint and/or Samsung says, take it with a grain of salt because they have proven time and time again that their word doesn't mean anything. Bad PR for both companies.

Yeah. They started with September and kept pushing it back. Its near February and still no sign. Like I have said the phone was doomed before it released.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line we got played, so come out with it. Its embarressing to have a high tier phone to be outsourced to be honest, they should have been announcing 2.3 by now to be blunt about it! This is bs I won't buy a phone anymore in "hopes" I receive same respect

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The Vibrant gets Froyo tomorrow, and the Epic was released after the Vibrant - so I'm guessing we'll have official Froyo in one or two months.

How will the "new Official 2.2 " be released aside from an OTA update?

for those of use who have already Flashed 2.2 DK28.

Will those files be made available through Samsungs website, XDA or what other source?

I will be curious to see what people experience with the OTA version of Froyo that is if it ever does make it to the Epic.

I am guessing there will be some bundled Sprint ID stuff and maybe minor adjustments..

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else getting a error message when checking for the ota update? I usually check every morning and today I keep getting a error message everytime.

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
This is bs I won't buy a phone anymore in "hopes" I receive same respect

The problem is that with Android phones and the rapid update cycle for the OS, you HAVE to hope that the phone is supported by the mfg/network operator through a reasonable service life, otherwise you are more or less guaranteed to be buying a device that will be obsolete about 1/4 the way through your contract.

A T-mo spokesman came out and said basically that the fault was theirs, that they weren't used to planning for the sorts of after-release updates Android needs, and they need to step up their game in this regard. I admire him for saying this, BTW -- it's one of the only honest-sounding things I've heard any of the American network operators or Samsung say regarding this entire issue.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I for one, believe everything that the carriers and manufacturers say. Not. At this point I have no expectations for an update and would rather be pleasantly surprised. In fact, I am sick of being teased. it's just cruel (reaches for a tissue).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing in my 2 cents. I would bet that we will see Froyo here real soon. Everything is out in the open, its found everywhere on search engines, been apart of discussion everywhere. Sprint has acknowledged the recent talks and Samsung is responding too.

I believe the carriers and Samsung are finally starting to realize the consumers are not going to sit quietly any longer.

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I believe the carriers and Samsung are finally starting to realize the consumers are not going to sit quietly any longer.

I hope you are right. But I suspect nothing will change if the mfgs and operators don't feel some real financial pain for this. Remember that there is ALWAYS a financial incentive for both operators and mfgs to do as little as they can to support a device after they sell it and have you on contract.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing in my 2 cents. I would bet that we will see Froyo here real soon. Everything is out in the open, its found everywhere on search engines, been apart of discussion everywhere. Sprint has acknowledged the recent talks and Samsung is responding too.

youre funny. you sound just like sammy and sprint whem it vomes to a release date. the epic 4G has the most different hardware.... different bluetooth chipset 4G Gps to name a few...

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I suspect nothing will change if the mfgs and operators don't feel some real financial pain for this. Remember that there is ALWAYS a financial incentive for both operators and mfgs to do as little as they can to support a device after they sell it and have you on contract.

I respectfully disagree. If you bought an epic, then you are most likely under contract and not eligible for the lowest price on new equipment. It will cost you $200 to break your contract. A new smart device with Sprint is around $600, but you can get a new device on another carrier with 2.2 or 2.3 for $150 plus the $200 for cancellation ($350). Some may also contemplate an iphone which comes out very soon on Verizon. Sprint would lose the monthly revenue plus the equipment subsidy for only keeping the customer for a few months after discounting the equipment. Customers that thought 2.2 would be out 3 months ago are not happy. $350 is not a lot of money to some people that like having the latest and greatest technology.

On the MFG side, what is the likelihood this angry customer that left Sprint is going to buy another samsung? The financial incentives are huge imo.

My analysis does not even consider the fact that several key features such as GPS are not running smoothly and 2.2 addresses some technical problems. They need to get their stuff together or they will lose some customers if they haven't already.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope for those of you waiting for the official update, it goes smoothly in comparison to what the Vibrant owners are experiencing with the kies only update.

Reactions: Devtodi

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well we were all told about this update a LONG AZZ time ago and they should have had it done a long time ago... that's all i am going to say I rooted and did all the roms and what not. So ya not that big of deal for me but still pisses me off that they dont have a real update yet...

Reactions: bipoler#AC

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you think that the update will be ota or the way the fascinate is doing it? Also this update will wipe the phone correct? Will have to reinstall all of our apps and remove the sd card before we do it

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
In the amount of time it has taken them to get Froyo out to the Galaxy S phones, shouldn't they have just taken that effort and tried to get Gingerbread out to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Mendelli