The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No one really knows how big a difference there will be. I'm assuming it'll be minor. Maybe fix up the homescreen rotation lag, and FINALLY give us bluetooth voice dialing.

Other than those two points I doubt it'll be radically different than DK28...

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted on 2.1 with a custom ROM and have been waiting for the official release of 2.2, like everyone else I'm tired of waiting. I don't want to restore to stock to get DK28, root flash a rom and then do it all over again when the official release of 2.2 comes out. So is there really going to be much of difference between DK28 and the official release, or am I waiting for no reason?

Sent from my Epic using Tapatalk

I've been on DK28 since the day the article came out saying it was the official update. Last week updated to TrulyEpic rom. When I had stock 2.1 I had a good working phone, gps and everything functioned. I got sick of waiting because I had no room on the Epic due to its tiny amount of app storage space. DK28 worked well for me, a couple things a little quirky but for the most part fairly stable, other members were not as lucky with DK28. TrulyEpic has made things even better for me, all I want now is possible better battery life. The thread for it has a lot of support. The phone is still not 100% perfect but it's a pretty damn good froyo experience.

Sure Samsung may have the official froyo tomorrow, they may also be another 2 or 3 months away. I say it's time to enjoy froyo now, especially since you're already rooted and running a custom rom. At the same time if you're happy with your phone, waiting a little while longer probably won't hurt anything.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
No one really knows how big a difference there will be. I'm assuming it'll be minor. Maybe fix up the homescreen rotation lag, and FINALLY give us bluetooth voice dialing.

Other than those two points I doubt it'll be radically different than DK28...

Maybe add some more of the Samsung widgets back. Return the stock music widget (which was removed in DK28 but added to the notificaion bar for those who don't know, also just today found the stock music widget in the market and it works fine with froyo), Sprint ID (could be part of the hold up I suppose), and hopefully fix the lag that would sometimes happen when exiting the app menu or a program. I also suppose they are trying to do something with the gps.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
All this talk about rooting and custom roms may work for us hackers/modders but for those who just want updates and a stock system it sucks. Telling someone like my family to hack mod and run custom roms you'll get a screw you look as they walk away. Hacking and modding just isn't an answer for what's going on with the epic...

I'm afraid you're right. I'm still well within my 30-day window. Guess I'll be returning it, waiting for the Sprint announcement and that other GSM conference on the 7th and maybe wait it out.

The epic is just fine with me. I need Flash 10.1 though. That means I need Froyo. Can't be without that.

Yeah flash def makes the web a lot more enjoyable.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Epic 4g 2.2 release date?

Apologize if there is a thread for this - tried to search, but haven't found anything.

I don't have one of these phones, but I have a customer here (university in Oregon) who has one and we need to configure it to sync to exchange. Having called Sprint and trying to call Samsung it doesn't seem like anyone really knows anything about this phone over there. The only release date I have is one that has already passed in December.

If they could just tell me - a month or next year that would be cool and I could work-around the problem with some third party app.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
thats the problem. you know as much as we do. thats why many people are frustrated. such a long wait and not a word from either sprint or samsung except "Soon" :(

many are running the "unofficial" official (yes, the "unofficial" official) release DK28. course there are bugs so some are more lucky with it then others.

sorry couldnt be more of a help...

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread below titled "The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread". The bottom line is that it is going to be released very soon. Our definition of "very soon" and Samsung/Sprint's definition are quite different.

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
No that does help I really appreciate the reply and it lets me know I'm not totally crazy. These vendors really need to figure out this whole communicate with us thing. Telling an enterprise (of sorts) "I dunno soon I guess" really isn't cool.

Even telling me "never - stop bothering me" would be more helpful.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
The thread for this on android forums is long and stickied. There should be a 2.2 speculation thread stickied here, but I'm sure there is one floating around. Regardless there is no date. From a sprint tech over at the sprint site forums, it's in the lab and being worked on. There is no date. There is no word on what the hold up is. All the rumors that have been spread are most likely false to a certain degree. Basically we're all just clueless and neither Sprint or Samsung has given us any reason or real info laden update to think anything other than they are clueless too. Makes you wish HTC could make a nice 4" slider. They have close to the best track record for updates and that even stinks. Go figure.

I do know I was syncing just fine with exchange on 2.1. Don't know why they wouldn't be. Think many sync just fine. If you search on Exchange in this forum you should find some info.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Shouldn't the thread be stickied?
There is a thread below titled "The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread". The bottom line is that it is going to be released very soon. Our definition of "very soon" and Samsung/Sprint's definition are quite different.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
MetroPCS says their Galaxy S phone will be upgraded in March and Virgin Mobile says their Intercept will be upgraded in the Sprint. Using these as a gauge, you're looking at 2 - 5 months away.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just did the unofficial 2.2 and Truly Epic ROM. I don't normally hack (never did with my Pre) but got tired of waiting and I have to say, it really wasn't that difficult to do these upgrades. Loving my Epic more now :)

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So the issue appears to not be Samsung

When it comes to the wants of users, most of us want Froyo on our Epics. Many have put the blame squarely on Samsung, others on Sprint, others on both. Here is a quote from T-Mobiles Marketing Officer in regards to Froyo for the T-Mobile Vibrant.

So what was the hold-up? It was purely technical, Brodman said?it wasn't about marketing, payments or sales. Samsung sent its base 2.2 upgrade to T-Mobile in late November, and with the holiday season, it's taken until now for T-Mobile to work out the kinks and integrate its own features.

So it would seem that more of the delays are based on the carriers as opposed to Samsung. They met the "goal" of having Froyo out by November, but the carriers (as this article seems to state) are the ones who delayed the release to owners/users.

Samsung Vibrant Froyo Upgrade Coming Jan. 21 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
This is the stock answer @GalaxySSupport twitter account has been giving in terms of the OTA update.

"We are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners as soon as possible. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing.
Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. ^Sabrina"

Doesn't seem promising.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
.....but the carriers (as this article seems to state) are the ones who delayed the release to owners/users.

Samsung Vibrant Froyo Upgrade Coming Jan. 21 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I agree the carriers are working on Froyo and adding their won skins, Bloat ware and branded crap.

That's why I am glad i flashed the unofficial Official 2.2 instead of waiting for Sprints OTA. I am not about to let Spring add Sprint ID and additional crap on my phone it it finally decides to release Froyo.

Reactions: whatev

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The Vibrant gets Froyo tomorrow, and the Epic was released after the Vibrant - so I'm guessing we'll have official Froyo in one or two months.

Reactions: Devtodi

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's what Sprint just tweeted:

Sprint & Samsung are working to release Froyo for Epic ASAP, but only after it meets rigorous testing criteria to ensure quality experience.

I tend to like "ASAP" when I'm in a hurry for something, but of course it's really quite meaningless. ASAP can mean just about anything, but at least they're getting more vocal about the update. That means they're listening, which means they're (hopefully) taking it seriously.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
They also said that 2.2 was suppose to be out for the Epic by the end of the year. Another promise broke. So whatever Sprint and/or Samsung says, take it with a grain of salt because they have proven time and time again that their word doesn't mean anything. Bad PR for both companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84