Why didn't google remove the 3.5mm headphone input?

Itay_levy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it, it's old! like super old!
Don't you think they should have move to Audio over USB C only? save some space on the phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Constantly plugging and unplugging to a USB connector, C or any other? No, the connector isn't made for that. (Even charging through it every day is misuse.) A 3.5mm connector is MUCH more vigorous.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple losing the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 models was basically them prepping their customers for the big 10 year anniversary overhaul next year with the iPhone 8. Source=my brain.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I love having a headphone jack, and I will be upset if/when they remove it. On top of that I *hate* having the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone, which would happen if it shared the charge port. Having to use a ridiculous dongle every time you want to use your expensive ear buds or headphones with your new phone is, in my opinion, stupid. Sure you could leave the dongle on the earphone cable, but as soon as you try use them ANYWHERE else, you now have to remove the dongle, and not lose it. It's so unnecessary in my opinion. Maybe all phones will eventually follow suit, but for now I will enjoy the traditional audio jack. You also can't use wired headphones while charging, which is annoying.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Constantly plugging and unplugging to a USB connector, C or any other? No, the connector isn't made for that. (Even charging through it every day is misuse.) A 3.5mm connector is MUCH more vigorous.

THIS EXACTLY!!! The USB ports on phones wear out fast enough and using it as a headphone jack would be even worse.

And losing the ability to grab any pair of headphones laying around and be able to plug them into the phone without having to use an adapter is just dumb. And wireless is not a good replacement either... I don't use headphones very often, but when I do it's for a really good reason and usually really need to use them... so because I don't use them very often it's hard to keep wireless headphones charged... it's just much easier for me to have a wired set laying around ready from when I need them.

Also just because an USB Type-C port is a much newer port doesn't mean it's better for audio. This whole idea that the 3.5mm headphone jack is an old standard therefore it's no good anymore and we should quit using it is just ridiculous... people who say this are either trying to make an excuse for something or don't know any better because the don't know how audio actually works.

BUT... if the industry is actually going to start moving in this direction, at least let it be with an industry standard port like Type-C... YEAH I'M LOOKING AT YOU APPLE!! Just another reason why not to buy their s#it.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
That's like saying we should remove steering wheels from cars and replace them with an xbox controller. Sure, either will steer the car but the xbox controller could do more and it's newer. This argument to remove a standard audio jack from devices that people use to connect headphones or to the AUX input on numerous devices makes zero sense to me.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't you think they should have move to Audio over USB C only? save some space on the phone?

So a Bagillion people wouldn't have to carry a dongle or have to throw away their current headphones/earbuds............:eek:

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it may old, but it's still useful for many of us, especially for anyone of us who are not using Bluetooth headset and it's allow us to listen to our music while we charging our phone.

Moreover, the audio output are lower for both USB-C and Thunderbolt as compare to 3.5mm.

While moving forward for latest technology mean progression for all of us, but removing old technology wasn't mean it's better for us too.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
These are great theories, but the truth is simple.

If they removed the headphone jack, then people would not be able to complain about no earbuds in the box. #Fact :p

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The power button is old too, why don't they just remove that? And maybe they can have the courage to remove the charging slot too?

Or, just maybe, these features actually contribute to the experience and shouldn't be removed. Not yet anyway.

At the very least, type c has to become much more popular. I'd say the earliest is in the next 3-5 years.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky