Sprint - T-Mobile Sim Card Text

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on Sprint and have been very impressed since I got my Note 20 Ultra and 5G (Unlocked). Always have a strong 5G signal between 100 and 230 meg download and 50 to 75 meg upload. Have not dropped a single call since I got the phone on August 20. My question is I received a text saying I should call T-Mobile to get a new Sim Card that will connect me to the T-Mobile network, I called Sprint and the representative told me not to do it because right now I connect to both Sprint and T-Mobile towers getting the best of both if I get the new Sim Card it will limit me to only T-Mobile, does this make sense? Also have been getting updates way before others on different carriers.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Because T-mobile owns Sprint and I have an option to keep my current plan but change to using T-mobile services exclusively. I'm wondering if anyone else has made this change and if so what was the outcome?

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Tmobile is using sprint antennas for their network which helps current tmobile users. Eventually before 2021 is over it will be all tmobile and mostly 5G. I would go with the T-Mobile sim IMO. I have tmobile and live in South Jersey and the 5g is working great for me getting awesome numbers.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That is not what I was told. It was explained to me as current Sprint customers have access to both Sprint and T-Mobile towers if I switch to a T-Mobile sim card I loose access to Sprint towers and only have T-Mobile ones available. T-Mobile customers have never been given access to the Sprint network. I was told I would not be forced to T-Mobile until all the Sprint towers have been converted most likely in 2022.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is not what I was told. It was explained to me as current Sprint customers have access to both Sprint and T-Mobile towers if I switch to a T-Mobile sim card I loose access to Sprint towers and only have T-Mobile ones available. T-Mobile customers have never been given access to the Sprint network. I was told I would not be forced to T-Mobile until all the Sprint towers have been converted most likely in 2022.
Doesn't make sense, why would sprint customers have access to both networks while Tmobile customers don't? Tmobile bought sprint to use those towers also.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I found this,

So Am I on Sprint or T-Mobile?

You're on T-Mobile—the Sprint brand has officially been discontinued as of August 3—but you will still use your original carrier's network for now. Sprint subscribers that are in an area where Sprint doesn't have LTE coverage will automatically connect to T-Mobile's LTE network (the vice versa is not true if you're on T-Mobile). Eventually, the two networks will merge and everyone on T-Mobile and those that came from Sprint will see greater coverage.

Are Sprint Phones Compatible on T-Mobile?

Sprint uses a CDMA network, whereas T-Mobile uses GSM. Historically, that meant Sprint phones don’t play well on other wireless carriers, like AT&T and T-Mobile (with several exceptions). That’s still true for the time being—buying a phone from Sprint doesn’t mean it will be able to work on T-Mobile’s network. You might just see extended roaming capabilities if Sprint's coverage is poor in a specific area.

T-Mobile says it’s working on a unified GSM device portfolio in the future so that any new phone will work on the new T-Mobile's full network. Our recommendation is to buy an unlocked phone, which supports GSM and usually includes support for Sprint's network.

It sounds like you would be loosing some coverage by taking the T-Mo SIM. In another article they're talking about 6 years to completely switch over. The article quoted above has several links and Google took me to a whole FAQ page about the merger and its effects on customers on each side. If you want to see more from the article quoted here is the link... https://www.wired.com/story/t-mobile-sprint-merger-guide/

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
VidJunky you worded this better then I was able to based on my conversation with Sprint. My phone still shows I'm on the Sprint network, I actually believe now that Sprint customers have access to both networks and definitely keeping the Sprint sim card as long as I can. I was with a friend on T-Mobile today with the same phone Samsung (Note 20 Ultra Unlocked) and we did speed's throughout the day in Massachusetts and every speed test my Sprint phone had 5G with at least twice the download and at times 3 X the upload speeds. Hope my Sprint sim card never fails because I tried to get a backup today and was informed they are no longer available. You would think it would be as mustang7757 stated but it's not, Sprint customers got the better of this deal at least for now.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently on Sprint and have been very impressed since I got my Note 20 Ultra and 5G (Unlocked). Always have a strong 5G signal between 100 and 230 meg download and 50 to 75 meg upload. Have not dropped a single call since I got the phone on August 20. My question is I received a text saying I should call T-Mobile to get a new Sim Card that will connect me to the T-Mobile network, I called Sprint and the representative told me not to do it because right now I connect to both Sprint and T-Mobile towers getting the best of both if I get the new Sim Card it will limit me to only T-Mobile, does this make sense? Also have been getting updates way before others on different carriers.
I got the T-Mobile SIM card I'm from Sprint they will eventually be doing away entirely with the Sprint related offerings the T-Mobile SIM card works much I use it for work and I just am a heavy user all together as it is.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

What you said!!!!
I was told the exact same thing and don't mind. Service has been excellent lately.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
VidJunky you worded this better then I was able to based on my conversation with Sprint. My phone still shows I'm on the Sprint network, I actually believe now that Sprint customers have access to both networks and definitely keeping the Sprint sim card as long as I can. I was with a friend on T-Mobile today with the same phone Samsung (Note 20 Ultra Unlocked) and we did speed's throughout the day in Massachusetts and every speed test my Sprint phone had 5G with at least twice the download and at times 3 X the upload speeds. Hope my Sprint sim card never fails because I tried to get a backup today and was informed they are no longer available. You would think it would be as mustang7757 stated but it's not, Sprint customers got the better of this deal at least for now.
Yeah , we see going forward how this goes, but it looks like Sprint user will be changing to TMobile in long run with T-Mobile branding and Sims . On T-Mobile 5g in my area I'm experiencing little faster 5g then lte and pretty much 5g everywhere, this was on my Note 20U .
Now my T-Mobile SIM in my pixel 5 5G I'll see how it goes over the weekend. Att sim in my Note 20U now and 5G not as fast yet .

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I went through this. Keep the Sprint sim like he said. I was told the same thing was well. Went out of town recently with my new 20ultra and had zero service issues in some pretty sketchy areas. Picked up 5g strong as well. I was with a friend that was a TMobile original customer and her phone lost service the whole trip and mine never did.
Pays to keep the Sprint towers...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The funny and interesting thing is, why the encouragement to switch? Obviously the Sprint card is superior by their own admission, so why try and and get your customers to move to an inferior experience? As Ranjen617 experienced, no issues while their friend had issues, that would seem to work against brand loyalty.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
VidJunky agree 100%, it wasn't Sprint who initiated the change it was a text from T-Mobile trying to trick you into the T-Mobile sim card by offering some ridicules offer that happens on Tuesdays. When I called Sprint they told the truth and said stay with a Sprint sim card as long as possible. After reading all the posts I'm glad I checked before just accepting the change because once you do there is no going back. Same with me and a friend I had much better service throughout Massachusetts with the same phone.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have the TMobile Tuesday offer and I'm an original Sprint customer. Sprint sent me over the link to add to my phone actually. So no, there was something else the rep wasn't telling you.

I'm just glad I made the decision to buy a new phone this year while they are still under transition vs strictly TMobile. I don't have a good feeling about TMobile just yet. Seems like the Sprint reps know something we don't as well.

Again, keep your Sprint sim card...

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ranjen617 Once again I agree with you. Maybe the Sprint rep would have mentioned the Tuesday T-Mobile thing which I rally could careless about but once they told me the truth about keeping the Sprint sim card I ended the conversation.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
There you go. You did great in making that choice like myself. I could not believe the terrible service on my friends phone vs mine while traveling. She was upset to say the least.
Yes, something is up that we don't know about. Make you wonder.

The Tuesday app so far isn't a big thing. Discounts are about the same with a Google search of you ask me. :)

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Sprints 5g towers were turned off and only accessable to T-Mobile? I read an article about it and those I know with Sprint indeed don't recieve 5g on their 5g device.
There you go. You did great in making that choice like myself. I could not believe the terrible service on my friends phone vs mine while traveling. She was upset to say the least.
Yes, something is up that we don't know about. Make you wonder.

The Tuesday app so far isn't a big thing. Discounts are about the same with a Google search of you ask me. :)

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am on Sprint and I was told by Sprint their towers are all active (5G) and only switch to a T-Mobile when there is a weak Sprint signal and T-Mobile is better this could continue until 2022. I live in Massachusetts and travel around the state often and almost always have 5G and the notification bar indicates Sprint. Here are the past months speed results take a look and judge for yourself. Where you see LTE is was in western Mass where in the past never had a signal but still respectable speed.

Screenshot_20201118-134814_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Sprints 5g towers were turned off and only accessable to T-Mobile? I read an article about it and those I know with Sprint indeed don't recieve 5g on their 5g device.

Yes, Sprint did turn them off for 5g but not for every other network. Using 5g comes from TMobile but if you are traveling or in sketchy areas, Sprint pulls stronger in those areas. If you keep the Sprint sim card you get the best of both worlds. If you use a TMobile sim card you will only be able to use TMobile towers. Choose wisely on this option. I saw it for myself with a friend phone while we were traveling and get service was absolutely terrible where I never lost service. Same phone as well but mine has the Sprint sim and hers was using the TMobile sim card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anantshukla