Three button navigation versus gestures

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! I can definitely understand why some would like to use the gestures - but they do not suit my needs for the time being.

Oh, for sure! I completely agree! Some people love the gestures and that's great for them. The more immersive gesture-based OS. For me though, the gestures get a bit confusing and weird a lot of the time. Three button navigation just makes so much more sense to me, and it's so much more responsive. ????????????

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, for sure! I completely agree! Some people love the gestures and that's great for them. The more immersive gesture-based OS. For me though, the gestures get a bit confusing and weird a lot of the time. Three button navigation just makes so much more sense to me, and it's so much more responsive. ������������

Yes, it's absolutely more responsive! I don't like thinking about what to do on my screen to get to an app or to a specific part of my homescreen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's absolutely more responsive! I don't like thinking about what to do on my screen to get to an app or to a specific part of my homescreen.

Yeah, you're not joking in the fact that the phone is much more responsive with the 3 button navigation vs gestures navigation! I just enjoy not being confused as to which gesture to use in order to multitask apps on my phone. That's for sure!!

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I'm curious would leaving 3 button gesture navigation on eventually leave a burn in of those icons on the screen? Though I guess that would mostly apply to anyone who has their phone screen constantly on.
Gestures have improved since their inception but I agree it still doesn't feel as fluid as buttons. I still stick to the gestures though for screen real estate purposes.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you turn off gesture hints, it will hide the gesture areas and give you even more real estate. I'd forgotten you can do this. Trying out the three gesture area setup with hints turned off. It's like invisible nav buttons that you swipe instead of tapping, so it's nearly as efficient as the buttons but invisible.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you turn off gesture hints, it will hide the gesture areas and give you even more real estate. I'd forgotten you can do this. Trying out the three gesture area setup with hints turned off. It's like invisible nav buttons that you swipe instead of tapping, so it's nearly as efficient as the buttons but invisible.

Wait what? How do you do this? Where in settings?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait what? How do you do this? Where in settings?
Options below the selection for gestures.
8d182cbda918305ec0abd9cc6ce868cc.jpg

Galaxy S21 in this case

loekie32

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I am so glad I found the 'buttons'! Was so used to that on my LG V49 ThinQ. I had a very hard time with the gestures/swiping!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice this question is in the Pixel forums. I guess Samsung tweaked some of the gesture stuff. I thought I could do the same on my OnePlus 8 also.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I am wondering if some of us are not all talking about the same thing when we refer to "gestures"?

On my Samsung A21, there seem to only be a limited number of references to "gestures" in the settings, as follows:
- A gesture option of swiping down from the centre bottom of the screen to enable one-handed mode (as opposed to double tapping the home button);
- The ability to use what is called "full screen gestures" for navigation bar, which eliminates (or minimizes depending on if gesture hints are selected to be shown or not) the three on-screen navigation buttons. This is what I think the OP was referring to, and it does not really change much in my opinion other than what is displayed as the three buttons or not, depending on how one previously used the three buttons (because one could always "swipe up through" each of the three buttons) or unless one also chooses "swipe from sides and bottom" (which then means one has to change to swipe approach, but only if one chooses that "swipe from sides and bottom" option); and
- A few, what I will call "shortcut gestures", available under "Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures", which really aren't much in my opinion, but if one enables them it doesn't change anything, only adds some extra options for how to initiate a few functions
Are we all on the same page for what we are talking about or am I missing something?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am wondering if some of us are not all talking about the same thing when we refer to "gestures"?

On my Samsung A21, there seem to only be a limited number of references to "gestures" in the settings, as follows:
- A gesture option of swiping down from the centre bottom of the screen to enable one-handed mode (as opposed to double tapping the home button);
- The ability to use what is called "full screen gestures" for navigation bar, which eliminates (or minimizes depending on if gesture hints are selected to be shown or not) the three on-screen navigation buttons. This is what I think the OP was referring to, and it does not really change much in my opinion other than what is displayed as the three buttons or not, depending on how one previously used the three buttons (because one could always "swipe up through" each of the three buttons) or unless one also chooses "swipe from sides and bottom" (which then means one has to change to swipe approach, but only if one chooses that "swipe from sides and bottom" option); and
- A few, what I will call "shortcut gestures", available under "Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures", which really aren't much in my opinion, but if one enables them it doesn't change anything, only adds some extra options for how to initiate a few functions
Are we all on the same page for what we are talking about or am I missing something?
Google pixel have 2
Gestures
Button

Samsung has 3 ways
Samsung gesture
Google gesture
Button

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Google pixel have 2
Gestures
Button

Samsung has 3 ways
Samsung gesture
Google gesture
Button
So there are gestures that are default Android included, and then Google Pixel phones have some more additional gesture features, and then Samsung phones also have their own set of additional gesture features? Is that all correct?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So there are gestures that are default Android included, and then Google Pixel phones have some more additional gesture features, and then Samsung phones also have their own set of additional gesture features? Is that all correct?
Pixels only have 1 gesture which is their own Goggles then other option is button.
Samsung has Google gesture, and their own , plus button.

So most other Android come with Google gesture and their own or just Google.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Ok/understood. That helps clarify I think that some of us might not be talking about the same thing when we are indicating that "gestures" work or do not work for us.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok/understood. That helps clarify I think that some of us might not be talking about the same thing when we are indicating that "gestures" work or do not work for us.
No problem , if some here misunderstood hopefully this clarifys that .

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I did try using gestures for a while on my S10. While my phone had a cleaner look and things were smooth, I still couldn't get used to it, even after a week or more of using it. But I can definitely see the appeal!

I just started using the 2 button nav on my pixel 3xl and I kinda like it. It's like a mix of 3 button and full gestures, without all the extra swiping and confusion of full gestures, but a little quicker imo than 3 button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2