I don't really care for EMUI 5.

iFalcon

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not interested in upgrading to EMUI 5 / Nougat at this time.

Is there a way to stop the notification from appearing in the setting section? It's prompting me, but do not want to upgrade right now.

Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not interested in upgrading to EMUI 5 / Nougat at this time.

Is there a way to stop the notification from appearing in the setting section? It's prompting me, but do not want to upgrade right now.

Thanks.

Long press the notification.does it let you disable it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just updated. I was already using the Nova launcher to add the app drawer and hide apps so the update doesn't change much.

I do enjoy the split screen so I can browse and use YouTube at the same time.

Emui 5 has the app drawer as an option for those who don't want to use a third party launcher

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm disappointed the clock timer and stopwatch animation from 4.1 have changed.
I did like that pendulum action on the Emui stock timer.
There's probably something on the AppStore like it.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm disappointed the clock timer and stopwatch animation from 4.1 have changed.
I did like that pendulum action on the Emui stock timer.
There's probably something on the AppStore like it.

Interesting. Always used Google's Clock app as it shows the beautiful material design and Timely which has beautiful themed animations.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why there's a surprise. As i have said many times before even months ago, emui 5 is much closer to stock Android than emui 4. Those that like a more stock Android experience will like it. Those that don't won't.

At last check the best part of emui was that it was no where near stock android. It was a fresh take on the power of android and what you can do with it. Now it's just android, the stock feel is familiar but that's not why I fell in love emui. It doesn't even have an emui feel to it anymore for me personally. That's why I'm personally done.

The other night I tripped over my dog and it hit my tile floor shattering the screen. I'm probably not going to replace it even thou I have best buy protection plan. If I want a stock android feel, thats why I have my HTC 10 not the honor 8.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
At last check the best part of emui was that it was no where near stock android. It was a fresh take on the power of android and what you can do with it. Now it's just android, the stock feel is familiar but that's not why I fell in love emui. It doesn't even have an emui feel to it anymore for me personally. That's why I'm personally done.

The other night I tripped over my dog and it hit my tile floor shattering the screen. I'm probably not going to replace it even thou I have best buy protection plan. If I want a stock android feel, thats why I have my HTC 10 not the honor 8.

Originally, I didn't get what you meant but I can kind of relate. I failed in trying to roll it back but I will be trying again. I like some of the additions but then I dislike other things.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Originally, I didn't get what you meant but I can kind of relate. I failed in trying to roll it back but I will be trying again. I like some of the additions but then I dislike other things.

I do like some of the additions in 5.0 they lost what defined emui for me. They are now just another phone manufacture that everyone is going to install nova on. They killed what set them apart from the sea of android UI's which was being truly different.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I understand. Any major change is going to draw people who love it and people who hate it.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Whether 4.1 or 5.0 EMUI is not anything like Android pure to me personally. 5.0 doesn't force you to have a app drawer either. I've noticed a few changes but it's still not android nor IOS. If anything I'm messing with a iPhone 7 right this second and EMUI has much more of an IOS feeling. EMUI is just distinctly different all together. Possible the layout but then a layout is general to mobile software to be all the same pretty much anyway. I'm just not seeing any major downfalls to 5.0 as it's EMUI itself and in its own league.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The newer security update is of course nice to have.

Yet as a Nova user I see no exceptional benefit for myself with 5.0
The experience seems the same for me after recovering from the reset.
From what I see new features have had minimum impact on my experience.

I'm very happy the update hasn't borked the phone I'm using.
The honor 8 was a good phone from the start and still is.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
At least emui 5 doesn't revert the launcher randomly like 4.1 did.

It does for me as soon as I run the new launcher for the first time but don't set it to default. EMUI will put you back to its default launcher. You will have to then set whatever launcher you were using as the default.

Ida Ma

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Honor 8 here. I'm disappointed in Emui 5 too. First I noticed that when setting my alarm for the morning, the clock app background is white. It's hard to look at late at night. Then, so many other apps are also white.. I loved the gentle colors, no whites. And now I see that the calendar is just.. not pretty anymore, at all. There's no different colors or icons that helped me tell events apart.
Everything is so high contrast, black text on white, like it's a printed document. I loved the softness of Emui 4.1. Has the text gotten bigger too?

I don't really wanna use themes and launchers that run on top of the original ui, don't they unnecessarily use battery life?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Honor 8 here. I'm disappointed in Emui 5 too. First I noticed that when setting my alarm for the morning, the clock app background is white. It's hard to look at late at night. Then, so many other apps are also white.. I loved the gentle colors, no whites. And now I see that the calendar is just.. not pretty anymore, at all. There's no different colors or icons that helped me tell events apart.
Everything is so high contrast, black text on white, like it's a printed document. I loved the softness of Emui 4.1. Has the text gotten bigger too?

I don't really wanna use themes and launchers that run on top of the original ui, don't they unnecessarily use battery life?

You can install a dark theme, there's a few on XDA.

madamocta

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off the full screen notification that the update was downloaded? It keeps popping up and seriously messes up my usage of the phone (like right now, I was typing this comment, it popped up and I almost pressed the update button because it was where my keyboard usually is). It annoys me to no end, I have no desire to update to 5.0 and I don't want the update to take up storage space and **** me off with constant notifications (don't get me started on how often it pops up while I watch YouTube and other videos)

kupaku

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off the full screen notification that the update was downloaded? It keeps popping up and seriously messes up my usage of the phone (like right now, I was typing this comment, it popped up and I almost pressed the update button because it was where my keyboard usually is). It annoys me to no end, I have no desire to update to 5.0 and I don't want the update to take up storage space and **** me off with constant notifications (don't get me started on how often it pops up while I watch YouTube and other videos) Today 10:31 AM

Try this, it worked for me:

Q&A (Honor 8): How to turn off new software update notifications?