CM9 on the Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide!

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm reposting this here for any lingering people who haven't moved back over to the webosnation forum for android on the touchpad. This may not be the most updated version of this post, with new updates coming to the post you can find here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/310720-cm9-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

So you're ready to start dabbling with CM9 but don't know where to start? Allow me to be your guide! Please note that these instructions are subject to rapid change as CM9 receives upgrades from it's alpha status in the coming days/weeks/months. This guide is accurate as of 1/20/2012 and will be updated reasonably frequently to keep it relevant.

I hope this helps! I appreciate the kind words, find your generosity to be amazing and hope this guide continues to help all of our dual-booting members! A lot of time and effort have went into this post and your appreciation keeps me motivated to continue my work here. I will be updating the post soon with more fun tricks, tips, improvements, and app reviews!

Before you install this, please do some reading to understand the current limitations of the android ALPHA (it is -not- a totally stable or bug-free release). If you decide you still want to give it a shot, read on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 0: Is your touchpad ready to install Android?

Make sure your touchpad is in developer mode and that you have novacom installed on your computer. One of the best ways to ensure this is simply to follow my Getting Started guide for webOS, as it will improve your webOS experience and in the process will ensure your computer can properly communicate with the touchpad before you attempt android install. You can find that guide here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

Also, take time to read about the current CM9 android offerings and make sure it's something you actually want to pursue. Android is in an extreme alpha state, and while it is running remarkably well on the touchpad even now, it is still not recommended for all users (AKA - it may be better to wait on a more stable release).

Relevant reading:

[Release][Alpha0] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - RootzWiki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1: Assemble the various files you will need to install CM9. This list is current through 1/20/2012 - do not follow these instructions if a new ALPHA or BETA has been released.

First, you need several files from here:
[Release][Alpha0] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - RootzWiki

FILES NEEDED:

CM9 Alpha 0
Techerrata Downloads - Downloading update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip

Clockworkmod
http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha1/update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip

New ACMEInstaller
goo-inside.me - acmeinstaller downloads

Moboot
Downloads - moboot - Mobile Open Bootloader for the HP Touchpad - Google Project Hosting

Charger and SystemUI force close fix for alpha0
http://goo-inside.me/roms/teamdouche/tenderloin/alpha/update-charger_systemui_fix-alpha0.zip

And lastly, you'll want a version of google apps that will work on your Touchpad, you can find that here:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

And a google apps fix file that will enable calendar syncing:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2: Prepare the Touchpad for installation.

To prepare the Touchpad for installation, you must first plug the touchpad into your computer as a USB drive and there are several files we must transfer to the device.

When you plug your touchpad into the computer and put it in USB mode, then explore the touchpad as a USB drive, it is automatically in the /media/internal folder.

Into this folder, you are going to drag and drop the following files:

Charger and SystemUI force close fix for alpha0
-BOTH- google apps files we downloaded in step 1

Now that that's been handled, you need to right click anywhere on the screen and create a new directory. Simply right click anywhere on the file explorer screen, and create a new directory named:

CMinstall

If you've followed directions, you will now have a folder named CMinstall in the same directory that you've dropped the three files we just discussed.

Now, double click into this directory. You should now be inside the empty CMinstall directory. You are going to drag and drop several of the .zip files you downloaded in step 1. Place into this CMinstall directory the following ZIP files:

CM9 alpha 0
Moboot
Clockworkmod

Now you can eject your touchpad. At this point, you need to put your touchpad into bootie recovery USB mode. To do this, turn your touchpad off. Now that it is off, turn it on, and as soon as it begins to turn on, hold down the volume-up rocker button until a USB symbol appears on the screen. Finally, plug your touchpad into your computer via the USB cable. Your touchpad is now prepared to install Android.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3: Prepare windows to install Android.

First, you need to move your ACMEInstall2 file to a directory that you can easily find it. I suggest making a directory on the root of your hard drive for this purpose. For example:
c:\android

To do this, simply go into explorer, click on your hard drive, right click on the pane with the folders, and create a directory called android. Now drag and drop (or cut/paste) your ACMEInstall2 file into this directory.

Now, it's time to actually install CM9. Click on the start menu at the bottom left of your screen, then in the search bar (or in the start/run bar for those still using XP), type:

cmd

Now hit enter. This will bring up a black-screen terminal window. First, you're going to need to navigate to the place that you placed the ACMEInstall2 file. If you're following this guide, you do this by typing:

cd /android

Finally, we are ready to install. To do so, cut/paste the following line into your CMD terminal window:

novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2

If you've done everything right, your touchpad will go dark, then begin filling up with text as it installs the various bits and pieces to get everything working. Pat yourself on the back, the hard part is over. You still need to fix some things however, so before the touchpad boots back up, quickly begin preparing for step 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 4: WE NEED TO FIX A FEW THINGS!

Ok, your touchpad is getting everything installed, but you're going to need to fix a few things before it will be as useful as you might like. When the touchpad finishes installing it's going to reboot into MOBOOT, a place that allows you to select which operating system you would like to use (webOS or cyanomod). You select between these by using the volume rocker, then hitting the home button to select. On your first boot-up you don't want EITHER of these options - you want to boot into CLOCKWORKMOD. Be ready when the touchpad begins to boot up, and immediately put it into clockworkmod.

Now that you're in clockworkmod, you need to select "install zip from sdcard". You navigate this menu with your volume rocker and your home/power buttons. Simply use the volume rocker to go down to select install zip, and hit the home key to select.

Select "choose zip from sdcard".

Now scroll down until you see the three files we put on the touchpad earlier (the charging-fix, the google apps file, and the google apps fix).

Install them in that order. Charging fix, google apps, google apps fix.

Now hit the power button a few times to get back to the main screen and choose to "reboot system now".

Finally, allow the system to boot into CM9.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 5: Do you want webOS to boot by default?

One annoying thing about installing android is it sets up MOBOOT to automatically boot into android if you turn your touchpad on and leave it sit for a few seconds. I much prefer my touchpad to boot into webOS.

To do this, boot back into webOS and go into preware, then search for the application named:

cyboot

Install it, then launch this program. now you can easily change the settings of moboot. Set the boot default to webOS and you're golden. You can also change the bootloader timeout to anywhere between 1 and 9 seconds. Set it to a slightly higher amount of seconds (I find 7 seconds is the sweet spot) and now you'll be auto-booting into webOS and have a slightly greater amount of time for any selections when MOBOOT loads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 6: Learn some useful tricks...

I'll just dump a few useful tricks here.

For starters - if you want to transfer files back and forth from the CM9 touchpad you might have difficulty figuring out how exactly to do it. Here's how you pull it off:

First, tap on your app drawer in the top right of the screen (the little checkerboard). Now, select the "settings" icon.

Now tap on storage on the left-hand pane.

Finally, the tricky part - tap on the 3 squares at the VERY top right of your screen. It will bring down a little drop-down menu for USB computer connection. Tap it and put a checkmark in the "Media Device MTP" box.

Now you can plug your touchpad into the computer at will and transfer files back and forth from it. Easy as pie, I'm not sure why this isn't activated by default, but it's a simple fix if you know what to do.

Step 7: There is no step 7, yet... :)

You are now dual-booting CM9 and ready to enjoy testing it out. There will be more tweaks/steps/suggestions to come as the build becomes more stable and complete, but for now it works reasonably well and should provide you with a nice experience. Feel free to go into the android marketplace and find some cool android-only programs to experience. One I recommend you give a shot is Google Currents - it's free and a brilliant news reader. Almost every game/app I've tested seems to work well on my touchpad, so feel free to fiddle around with it.

Future updates to CM9 can be installed very easily from clockworkmod, simply download them on the touchpad and install them from clockworkmod as we described above. This will keep you current and enjoying the latest updates.

Last edited:

hopper75

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm reposting this here for any lingering people who haven't moved back over to the webosnation forum for android on the touchpad.

I guess I've been away too long, are we now able to post freely over on the other site without mods jumping all over it? What happened to PreCentral anyway? Thanks for yet another great guide by the way!

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Good install.. nice OS system!
This feels really smooth.. listings are less tortuous than CM7.. a great Tablet OS in the making in fact!!!
THANKS GUYS!
...Watch out 'webOS'!!!

Only 'glitch' I had was with CM9 setting Android to boot-default in Preware's 'CyBoot' (which I didn't notice), then when I set 'next boot' in CyBoot also to Android, I got stuck in an Android booting-loop and unable to reboot webOS, until I used Acme Installer to reinstall Clockwork.. that then gave me access to again set webOS as default and 'next boot' to 'choose' (from MoBoot Menu Options).

I think a CM9 option to reboot to webOS (as in CM7) would be 'polite' - on the TouchPad version anyway!

:) :) :)

hanly2

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just installed cm9 right over my cm7 install and it seems to be working, the only problems are I don't know how to use it. How do I get to the settings? so I can set up wifi and stuff?

Ok figured that part out. Now I can't get email to work, it just keeps stopping and closing as soon as I open it. Anyone else?

Last edited:

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just installed cm9 right over my cm7 install and it seems to be working, the only problems are I don't know how to use it. How do I get to the settings? so I can set up wifi and stuff?

Ok figured that part out. Now I can't get email to work, it just keeps stopping and closing as soon as I open it. Anyone else?

If I remember correctly, email is in the list of stuff that isn't working yet.

crutzulee

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Wiped cache and davlik and installed right over cm 9 alpha 0 yesterday. No crashes in almost 24 hours of moderate use.
Wifi has been stable. Battery seems mildly improved. Adfree now works! Browsing with Opera mobile is great (some people are reporting increased touch sensitivity leading to unintentional zoom - not for me) .
As I type this on thumb keyboard, I'm finding it to be more accurate. I was always sure that it was me and my bad typing skills but maybe there has been some improvement?
Thumb keyboard was causing some intermittent crashing of Opera mobile on alpha 0 forcing a reboot. This has not happened yet under alpha 0.5.

atulmodi

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have issue with my TP.

I am with CM on TP since the day of very first.

Now problem starts today.

I have CM9 (Not 0.5) and otherwise working excellent, but won't give me option of WebOS, Clockworkmod, shutdown etc.

To me looks like moboot is screwed up. I had moboot 3.0.5 (latest necessary for CM9).

How to fix this problem now. I am not big fan of WebOS but I need moboot to make any upgradation etc.

If no moboot means no access to Clockworkmod and no way to go for any upgradation
and can not acces WebOs any otherway. Because it reboot in Android only.

atulmodi

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, It works great and after I get into moboot menu and tried couple of tomes in and out of WebOs and Android and it worked Power+Home button trick way.

At an end I run Installer2 by hooking up with computer and put moboot in cminstall and after Installer 2 installed moboot. It is rock again.

So I think, other people may have this problem. Moboot screwed up itself.