My HTC 10 Bricked

mcpaulus

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I like HTC phones. I had the M8 and the M9 before the 10. Sad to report, after enjoying the use of the HTC 10 for one week, it completely stopped working. I uninstalled ES File Explorer after they added that battery charging screen. No loss of power or anything like that during the uninstall. Using a tablet for convenience, I searched Google Play Store for a replacement app. When I found one and after installing the new app on the tablet, I picked up my 10 to install the new app there. No matter what I did, the phone was dead. Soft reset did not work. Called HTC Tech Support, nothing worked. They gave me a choice of a refurbished phone or a refund. Since the phone was not even a week old, I took the refund.

I don't know if uninstalling ES Explorer was the culprit or not, I only mention it because it's the last thing I did on the phone and it had a full battery. But I am quite disappointed in the response of HTC in handling this situation. The phone was less than a week old. Do they even have refurbished phones yet? I was not given a date when I would receive my replacement phone.

If that's the best you can do, goodbye HTC!

Posted via the Android Central App

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
they should have new phones it just came out and the fact it if it was that app its not their fault it would be the app and if you can get into he root of the phone and do a factory reset that may solve your problem. I have always used astro file explorer and have never had any problem

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not to excuse the poor way HTC Handled things, but you really need to start reading your own warranty terms. Most manufacturers usually offer replacements with reconditioned units if available (in the case of the HTC 10, chances are you wouldn't have gotten a refurb, though). Only premium warranties or insurance offer new replacements, and sometimes not even that.

That being said, if the phone was one week old and if it wasn't purchased through HTC, you could have gone to the store or carrier and asked for an exchange there. Sometimes that's the period they offer for direct returns/exchanges.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Not to excuse the poor way HTC Handled things, but you really need to start reading your own warranty terms. Most manufacturers usually offer replacements with reconditioned units if available (in the case of the HTC 10, chances are you wouldn't have gotten a refurb, though). Only premium warranties or insurance offer new replacements, and sometimes not even that.

That being said, if the phone was one week old and if it wasn't purchased through HTC, you could have gone to the store or carrier and asked for an exchange there. Sometimes that's the period they offer for direct returns/exchanges.

I think that's his point. I also had to deal with this myself. I called after a day after receiving my phone because my earpiece was busted. The only thing they offered was either a refund or a "like new" device on a 2 day old phone. I've never ran into this situation before with an online retailer within an exchange/return window. I mean I've come to expect this with insurance or warranty claims but not an exchange.

It's also my understanding that a device doesn't even have to leave the manufacturing facility to be considered reconditioned/like new. I've had an understanding that if a device fails Q/A, it is sent back for reconditioning and sold as reconditioned/like new.

The only way to get a true exchange, or what I consider one, is to get a refund and reorder the phone. Only issue with this method, for me anyways, was that I would loose my $100 preorder discount.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think that's his point. I also had to deal with this myself. I called after a day after receiving my phone because my earpiece was busted. The only thing they offered was either a refund or a "like new" device on a 2 day old phone. I've never ran into this situation before with an online retailer within an exchange/return window. I mean I've come to expect this with insurance or warranty claims but not an exchange.

It's also my understanding that a device doesn't even have to leave the manufacturing facility to be considered reconditioned/like new. I've had an understanding that if a device fails Q/A, it is sent back for reconditioning and sold as reconditioned/like new.

The only way to get a true exchange, or what I consider one, is to get a refund and reorder the phone. Only issue with this method, for me anyways, was that I would loose my $100 preorder discount.

You still have until 11:59 PM on the 18th to order using code HTC1011 to get the discount.

mcpaulus

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Most manufacturers usually offer replacements with reconditioned units if available (in the case of the HTC 10, chances are you wouldn't have gotten a refurb, though).

The phone was purchased through HTC pre-order. When I asked when I would get a replacement phone, I was told I would have to wait until they got a refurbished supply. He could not give me a date when that would happen.

I am within the 30 day window so why put up with that? I need a phone now. In a case like this, they should send a new phone to replace the faulty one. I don't think that is unreasonable.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The phone was purchased through HTC pre-order. When I asked when I would get a replacement phone, I was told I would have to wait until they got a refurbished supply. He could not give me a date when that would happen.

I am within the 30 day window so why put up with that? I need a phone now. In a case like this, they should send a new phone to replace the faulty one. I don't think that is unreasonable.

That's unheard-of ! If they offered 30 day return policy (mostly it's 14days) they have honor it - either by sending you another brand new phone or giving you a full refund. At this point I think the latter is wiser thing to do. Just return it and buy it from somewhere else. I would not settle for refurbished for sure

vzw Moto XPE/N7

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site

Rick, Just curious if you've received your refund yet. I sent mine back last week (for another reason) and just curious how long it takes. They state 5-7 business days.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Rick, Just curious if you've received your refund yet. I sent mine back last week (for another reason) and just curious how long it takes. They state 5-7 business days.

UPS picked up my return Friday. It's scheduled to be delivered to the return center tomorrow. I used Paypal credit btw and I also ordered the ice view case too. When they canceled the ice view case that refund posted to pay pal only hours later. Still waiting on the phone refund.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
If that's the best you can do, goodbye HTC!

It's a fact that around 5% of everything manufactured is defective in some way. So just because you were one of the unlucky people to receive one of them, you're not going to give another one a try? Just go to Amazon and read the reviews of any product if you don't believe me. No matter how good the product, there will always be a few people that get lemons. There is no such thing as perfect manufacturing. Good lord. You would think people would realize this.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It's a fact that around 5% of everything manufactured is defective in some way. So just because you were one of the unlucky people to receive one of them, you're not going to give another one a try? Just go to Amazon and read the reviews of any product if you don't believe me. No matter how good the product, there will always be a few people that get lemons. There is no such thing as perfect manufacturing. Good lord. You would think people would realize this.

It wasn't just the faulty hardware but the way he was treated by HTC, did you read that part?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
That's an overstatement. I've called HTC twice and they were awesome. They are the ones who told me if I buy a Verizon phone from them I would have to wait on updates from Verizon. And they also informed me buying a Verizon phone through them wouldn't avoid the carrier logo on the back.

And I'm talking about the OP. You think he is lying about how he was treated. All I can do is take his word on it. Everybody has different experiences, he wasn't good so he is done with them. Yours was good so you are defending them.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
That's an overstatement. I've called HTC twice and they were awesome. They are the ones who told me if I buy a Verizon phone from them I would have to wait on updates from Verizon. And they also informed me buying a Verizon phone through them wouldn't avoid the carrier logo on the back.

He's not talking about the actual person that he spoke with. They were very nice to me and tried to help. He's upset, as was I, that for an exchange he was offered a like new/refurbished phone. I know this is common practice for warranty claims or insurance claims. Never, during an exchange or refund period, have I ever been offered a re-manufactured/like new device as an exchange. Even from the likes of the carrier stores.

And I'm talking about the OP. You think he is lying about how he was treated. All I can do is take his word on it. Everybody has different experiences, he wasn't good so he is done with them. Yours was good so you are defending them.

He's definitely telling the truth lol. When my "exchange" arrived, it was in a plain white box. The phone had no sim tray or SD card tray. It was no different than a warranty or insurance claim. Included were instructions to remove the trays from my other phone and packing instructions for the defective device.
I would have expected this for a warranty claim like six months from now, but again, I found this to be an unacceptable exchange for a brand new device.

I'll advise anyone that wants to exchange the phone within the exchange/return window to opt for the refund and place another order yourself. You will only be offered a "like new" device is you opt for the "Advanced Exchange."

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
There had to be a way to un brick

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

I had an HTC One X back in 2011 i think, while i was playing a game, Arcane Legends, the phone just shut off. Was all stock from AT&T, there was no way to unbrick it. Happened to my LG G3 over a year ago as well.

SOmetimes they just die ...

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Received an email this morning from HTC saying that they received my phone and that a refund will be issued. My PayPal shows a pending credit to my account. They received the package this past Tuesday so I guess it takes about two days to process the refund. Then add a few more days until the credit actually posts to your credit account.

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Received an email this morning from HTC saying that they received my phone and that a refund will be issued. My PayPal shows a pending credit to my account. They received the package this past Tuesday so I guess it takes about two days to process the refund. Then add a few more days until the credit actually posts to your credit account.

Thanks for the info, Rick. They credited my credit card for the phone on the 5th business day. PayPal will place refunds in a pending status for several business days (usually 3), but you should have access to your funds soon. I tried to cancel the extra USB-C cable I ordered, but it came anyway today. I'll just save it for the next phone I buy that uses USB-C.