Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Default HTC Aria Rooting for Dummies

[WARN]
    DISCLAIMER: Me, Android Central, or any member of these forums, are not responsible for what you do to your phone.

[/WARN]

[NOTE]If you have installed the Froyo update, or purchased an Aria with Froyo on it, this WILL NOT WORK. The update changed the HBOOT, making this root method obsolete. For getting S-OFF and rooting Froyo, see here.[/NOTE]

This is something I meant to put together awhile ago and never got around to it. Unfortunately, I no longer own an Aria, but I will answer questions to the best of my ability. This forum needs an expert, hopefully someone will be able to pick up my slack .

Directions to root and install Clockwork:
    1. Go to unrevoked, choose the Aria, and click the download file. Save the file and extract to your desktop (or another directory).

2. (WINDOWS ONLY) Go to public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki] and follow the instructions to install the HBOOT drivers.

3. Go to HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Ariaâ„¢ (AT&T) - Downloads and download and install HTC Sync. Then immediately uninstall. You need the adb drivers that are installed with HTC Sync, but the program itself messes with Unrevoked. Uninstalling leaves the drivers you need.

4. Without plugging in your phone, make sure it is in “charge only” mode.

5. Go to Settings>Applications>Development and check USB Debugging

6. Start Unrevoked (reflash.exe)

7. You should see a “waiting for device” message. Plug in your phone, wait about 5 minutes, and enjoy your rooted phone.
    [TIP]To make sure it worked: Look in your app drawer for “Superuser”…if it’s there, you’re rooted. To get into Clockwork recovery, power off, the press volume down+power, and select recovery.[/TIP]

[TIP]To enable sideloading, use this thread.[/TIP]

Thanks to everyone at XDA and on these forums. This is a conglomeration of information I’ve gotten. If anyone has something that should be added/changed, just post and I’ll edit this.
    Last edited by ls377; 06-20-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Rooted via your method and got my girl's Aria on Liberated w no issues. Thanks bro
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy357 View Post
    Rooted via your method and got my girl's Aria on Liberated w no issues. Thanks bro
    Did you update to 2.2 before rooting? I just installed the AT&T update and I'm not sure if this will still work.

Edited to add that I'm a dumbass. First post says this won't work with 2.2 update installed.
    Last edited by Phyrkrakr; 03-06-2011 at 01:56 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Phyrkrakr View Post
    Did you update to 2.2 before rooting? I just installed the AT&T update and I'm not sure if this will still work.
    It won't. The HBOOT updated and there is currently no root method.
    Thanked by:

Default nice

Rooted My HTC Aria on Linux in a few minutes..Nice!! Thanks!!

I'm stuck at "waiting for bootloader" - Any suggestions? HTC Aria, 2.1, using the above method.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Did you install the HBOOT drivers?
    Thanked by:

Im not sure honestly, I followed the above guide, and everything was going great and it just stopped at "waiting for bootloader." In device manager, I do have a error with "Android 1.0" that says there are no drivers.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Try step 2 and 3 again and see if that works.
    Thanked by:

Haha, so those steps were pretty important.. ^.^;

Thanks so much. lol It's booting on and off now. Is this a good sign?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Yeah, as long as Unrevoked is still running. It should reboot fully when it's finished.

Woot. Superuser Permissions! Success. :3 Thank you for your help!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

No problem! Glad I could help!

Downloaded the files as u instructed, but when I attempt to.open them, out says that I do not have any programs to open the files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

They should be .exe files, so they open on their own. Did you get the right files (Mac/Windows)?

Default Re: HTC Aria Rooting for Dummies

I have a peculiar problem with my GF's Aria. I managed to get the S-Off via the Revolutionary site. The scripted asked if I wanted to install Clockworkmod, and I did. Thinking I could root it now with enrevoked, I went ahead and ran that too. It gave me a few errors and didn't appear to work. So I set about trying to root it by using the update.zip method. The only problem is when I boot into clockworkmod (it is a special version that is "revolutionary" branded), I can't get anything to work. I click on any option and it just goes to a screen that says "REVOLUTIONARY" and doesn't do anything else. I have to pull the battery out and reboot the phone. I think I need to reinstall clockworkmod.

User error. I didn't realize that you had to use the trackball thingy. Seems to work now.

Thanks a lot for this. It really helped.

Hey I'm new to this forum been rooting for awhile the aria is my first HTC device the problem I'm have is I've rooted successfully but still have s-on used unrevoked its hboot 0.57.0000 any help would be greatly appreciated

I had trouble with step 3, since HTC's taking down the site. I was able to get a copy from the link below and follow the steps to completion:
    [DOWNLOAD] HTC Sync for Mac - xda-developers

Thanks!