HTC Aria Rooting for Dummies

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
[WARN]
DISCLAIMER: Me, Android Central, or any member of these forums, are not responsible for what you do to your phone.

[/WARN]

[NOTE]If you have installed the Froyo update, or purchased an Aria with Froyo on it, this WILL NOT WORK. The update changed the HBOOT, making this root method obsolete. For getting S-OFF and rooting Froyo, see here.[/NOTE]

This is something I meant to put together awhile ago and never got around to it. Unfortunately, I no longer own an Aria, but I will answer questions to the best of my ability. This forum needs an expert, hopefully someone will be able to pick up my slack :).

Directions to root and install Clockwork:
1. Go to unrevoked, choose the Aria, and click the download file. Save the file and extract to your desktop (or another directory).

2. (WINDOWS ONLY) Go to public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki] and follow the instructions to install the HBOOT drivers.

3. Go to HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Aria™ (AT&T) - Downloads and download and install HTC Sync. Then immediately uninstall. You need the adb drivers that are installed with HTC Sync, but the program itself messes with Unrevoked. Uninstalling leaves the drivers you need.

4. Without plugging in your phone, make sure it is in ?charge only? mode.

5. Go to Settings>Applications>Development and check USB Debugging

6. Start Unrevoked (reflash.exe)

7. You should see a ?waiting for device? message. Plug in your phone, wait about 5 minutes, and enjoy your rooted phone.
[TIP]To make sure it worked: Look in your app drawer for ?Superuser??if it?s there, you?re rooted. To get into Clockwork recovery, power off, the press volume down+power, and select recovery.[/TIP]

[TIP]To enable sideloading, use this thread.[/TIP]

Thanks to everyone at XDA and on these forums. This is a conglomeration of information I?ve gotten. If anyone has something that should be added/changed, just post and I?ll edit this.

Last edited:

Phyrkrakr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Rooted via your method and got my girl's Aria on Liberated w no issues. Thanks bro

Did you update to 2.2 before rooting? I just installed the AT&T update and I'm not sure if this will still work.

Edited to add that I'm a dumbass. First post says this won't work with 2.2 update installed.

Last edited:

Cat5ive

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure honestly, I followed the above guide, and everything was going great and it just stopped at "waiting for bootloader." In device manager, I do have a error with "Android 1.0" that says there are no drivers.

finchy51

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded the files as u instructed, but when I attempt to.open them, out says that I do not have any programs to open the files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

das280zx

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a peculiar problem with my GF's Aria. I managed to get the S-Off via the Revolutionary site. The scripted asked if I wanted to install Clockworkmod, and I did. Thinking I could root it now with enrevoked, I went ahead and ran that too. It gave me a few errors and didn't appear to work. So I set about trying to root it by using the update.zip method. The only problem is when I boot into clockworkmod (it is a special version that is "revolutionary" branded), I can't get anything to work. I click on any option and it just goes to a screen that says "REVOLUTIONARY" and doesn't do anything else. I have to pull the battery out and reboot the phone. I think I need to reinstall clockworkmod.

oateshtc

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm new to this forum been rooting for awhile the aria is my first HTC device the problem I'm have is I've rooted successfully but still have s-on used unrevoked its hboot 0.57.0000 any help would be greatly appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attila