DISCLAIMER: Me, Android Central, or any member of these forums, are not responsible for what you do to your phone.
[NOTE]If you have installed the Froyo update, or purchased an Aria with Froyo on it, this WILL NOT WORK. The update changed the HBOOT, making this root method obsolete. For getting S-OFF and rooting Froyo, see here.[/NOTE]
This is something I meant to put together awhile ago and never got around to it. Unfortunately, I no longer own an Aria, but I will answer questions to the best of my ability. This forum needs an expert, hopefully someone will be able to pick up my slack .
Directions to root and install Clockwork:
1. Go to , choose the Aria, and click the download file. Save the file and extract to your desktop (or another directory).
2. (WINDOWS ONLY) Go to and follow the instructions to install the HBOOT drivers.
3. Go to and download and install HTC Sync. Then immediately uninstall. You need the adb drivers that are installed with HTC Sync, but the program itself messes with Unrevoked. Uninstalling leaves the drivers you need.
4. Without plugging in your phone, make sure it is in “charge only” mode.
5. Go to Settings>Applications>Development and check USB Debugging
6. Start Unrevoked (reflash.exe)
7. You should see a “waiting for device” message. Plug in your phone, wait about 5 minutes, and enjoy your rooted phone.
[TIP]To make sure it worked: Look in your app drawer for “Superuser”…if it’s there, you’re rooted. To get into Clockwork recovery, power off, the press volume down+power, and select recovery.[/TIP]
Im not sure honestly, I followed the above guide, and everything was going great and it just stopped at "waiting for bootloader." In device manager, I do have a error with "Android 1.0" that says there are no drivers.
I have a peculiar problem with my GF's Aria. I managed to get the S-Off via the Revolutionary site. The scripted asked if I wanted to install Clockworkmod, and I did. Thinking I could root it now with enrevoked, I went ahead and ran that too. It gave me a few errors and didn't appear to work. So I set about trying to root it by using the update.zip method. The only problem is when I boot into clockworkmod (it is a special version that is "revolutionary" branded), I can't get anything to work. I click on any option and it just goes to a screen that says "REVOLUTIONARY" and doesn't do anything else. I have to pull the battery out and reboot the phone. I think I need to reinstall clockworkmod.
Hey I'm new to this forum been rooting for awhile the aria is my first HTC device the problem I'm have is I've rooted successfully but still have s-on used unrevoked its hboot 0.57.0000 any help would be greatly appreciated
Portions of this page are modifications based on work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project
and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License. AndroidCentral is an independent site
that is not affiliated with or endorsed by Google.