Touchscreen horked up after latest OTA Update.

DrDownload

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else notice a slower touchscreen since the OTA Update was applied to the Droid Eris. The update ran this A.M. for me and the touchscreen response seems to have been hindered. The worse part is when trying to unlock the phone, I used to just slide my finger down the whole screen and it unlocked with ease, but now I see to have to hold my finger in the middle of the screen for a moment first then slide my finger down the screen at a slower than normal swipe speed.

any ideas?

mc48

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I got my update this morning as well. I haven't noticed anything really different about the touchscreen being slower. The update probably erased your settings so if you adjusted your touchscreen when you first got it, it probably went back to default. Just readjust it to your liking again. I never messed with mine in the first place so no difference for me maybe. But the lock screen is different yes. you have to start more in the middle and slide your finger down to unlock. I'm not sure why they changed it but I suppose I will get used to it. And if that is the trade off for better battery life, I'll gladly take it. My battery is still at 100% after two hours of very light use whereas before it would have been much lower just turning it on.

Kuth70

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
After the update my touch screen is the same as far as response time.

Before the update I did have a random problem of touching the screen in one spot and it registering somewhere else. That seems to be gone now, but it could just be it hasn't cropped up again.

DrDownload

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, im still have trouble with the whole slide down to unlock and even slide down to answer a call is not functioning as cleanly as it used to.

The lag in normal touchscreen functions has seemed to disappear after I rebooted the phone.

mwesty79

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
My update was pushed to me on Sun mornin and I've also noticed a bit more lag on the touchscreen than before.
I also used to be able to swipe the whole lock screen and I think they "fixed" it to where you have to grab the curved bar and swipe from there, at least that's how it works on mine now.

Battery life is slightly better tho so far. All in all I'm extremely impressed with this device compared to any other smartphone I have used! I'm just waiting for Q1 so I can haz 2.x :)

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Technically, the user's guide says that to unlock the screen you slide the "bar" down that has the time on it. But I noticed also that while I used to be able to basically swipe down the length of the screen, I now have to slide the bar down. That's the only remote negative I've noticed so far and it's no big deal for me. My update was this a.m. also and since I've been at work all day I haven't noticed any real pro or con changes.

DrDownload

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
yeah, i am able to get the finger swipe to work from the bar down, however, it seems a bit less user friendly as I sometime run out of screen real estate on the swipe and it remains locked.. guess ill be using the menu button to do the unlocking from now on. :)

mwesty79

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
yeah, i am able to get the finger swipe to work from the bar down, however, it seems a bit less user friendly as I sometime run out of screen real estate on the swipe and it remains locked.. guess ill be using the menu button to do the unlocking from now on. :)

I forgot about the menu key! I'm going to have to use that also as it was starting to get pretty frustrating when I would have to swipe multiple times because i'd hit the bottom of the screen and the bar would bounce back up!

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
One improvement I have noticed in the touch screen - to put a positive spin on the OTA - is the notification bar at the top is much easier to swipe now. Before, it would pull up the Add screen to add a shortcut or a widget. Now it's much easier to hit to get the Notifications to pull down. I'll get used to the unlock swipe pretty quickly, I'm sure.

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
One improvement I have noticed in the touch screen - to put a positive spin on the OTA - is the notification bar at the top is much easier to swipe now. Before, it would pull up the Add screen to add a shortcut or a widget. Now it's much easier to hit to get the Notifications to pull down. I'll get used to the unlock swipe pretty quickly, I'm sure.

Agreed - I, too, noticed the drape (for lack of a better term) works a lot better with out interfering with add/remove short cut.

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
After I updated my eris i'm having the same issues especially when trying to unlock screen it freezes for 2 or 3 seconds. its pretty annoying and its happening pretty often.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i'm not getting any unlock lagg/freezing, try pulling the battery and letting it boot up again? That or maybe you have apps running on timeout of the screen that cause the motion back to lagg?

jwhite4304#WP

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Today my Eris touchscreen stopped working, the vibrating keys were all vibrating and wouldn't stop until a battery pull. Is this a result of the update as I have added no new software.
Jimbo

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Today my Eris touchscreen stopped working, the vibrating keys were all vibrating and wouldn't stop until a battery pull. Is this a result of the update as I have added no new software.
Jimbo

The same has been happening to me about 5 times per week. I like the few things that the update intended to address but some others are rather irritating. Definitely looking forward to the next update (2.0 or 2.1). Hopefully, all the painful issues will be taken care of by then... PS - I really like this phone.

Akamu

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has anything to do w/ the update, but I've been experiencing problems hanging up my Eris. After being forwarded to a voicemail they ask you to press numbers in order to do diff. actions (i.e. re-record your voice message, etc). I'm not able to access the on-screen keyboard. In fact, even the home/menu/back/search buttons don't work. I've tried holding down either of the physical keys; no results. I just got my Eris so forgive me if I'm just a moron. Thanks in advance!