Considering purchasing a Droid Eris

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have been on these boards before as I had a motorola droid but I didn't like the onscreen keyboard so I went back to at&t and the iPhone. Since Apple didn't release a Verizon version of the iPhone and by all accounts, it's just rumors if they even will this year, I am considering come back to Verizon now but need as much info as I can get before I make a final decision on what phone to get. I am considering either a Palm Pre Plus or a HTC Droid Eris. How does the Droid Eris run? Does it run better or worse then then Moto droid? Is there going to be 2.0 with Sense on it? What are some of the most common problems with the Eris? I know im on Android Central but what would you guys recommend?

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
I recommend trying it out for yourself. Android is such a vast operating system with so many features and options, its hard to understand without firsthand knowledge. You could always return it if you don't like it.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, first off, yes the Eris will get 2.0 at the least with sense on it. As far as I know it will get 2.X, whatever that may be. Second, the only problems to my knowledge aside from some few bad eggs, is the fact that it runs a bit sluggish and buggy at times, it takes longer to update than other phones because of sense, and the YouTube app doesn't work most of the time. Of course, this will all be resolved when the phone updates.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Since your on verizon, you can try the phone out yourself for 29 days.. and return it on the 30th day. My wife does it all the time when she wants to try out new phones. Within 2 weeks (probably even 1 week) you know if you are going to keep it or not. We both have one, and love it.

2.x is supposed to be more streamlined, and similar senseui as 1.x now. So it shouldn't get worse, only better. :)

If you dont like sense, or want to stream line, you can stop using Sense all together, but your limited to the stock android 3 home screens. I tried it for about 2 weeks and it was just fine, maybe subtly faster, but I do enjoy the SenseUI more than the droid stock UI. All in all, it is a slower phone than the Moto Droid, and the NexusOne (my company has most android phones on hand so I get to play with them). Anything with the snapdragon Chipset will blow away the Eris.. but it does cost more. so if your a power users (I am) you may want the droid or Nexus One when it comes out, but for me the Eris suits my needs at a great price point. I'm excited to see what OS 2.x brings in speed/efficiencies.

but just get it, try it and then get the droid and try it... then you make the call, and post back :)

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have eliminated the Pre Plus as a potential phone. I didn't like it. However, I am not sure if I like the smaller screen on the Eris compared to both the iPhone(which I would be coming from) and the Moto Droid. I would like to combine the best of both worlds but that usually doesn't work lol.. Sense UI virtual keyboard and all, and the power and larger screen of the Moto Droid.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
I chose the eris for the smaller size and the sense UI. Smaller screen doesn't matter to me much. However, the 2.0 software has many benefits over what's on the eris...even with the sense UI. take software into account as well

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have the eris and really like it but I will be getting a nexus as soon as it is available on verizon. I want the speed and bigger screen plus it will get lots of attention ( newer updates quicker).