Do I need to unroot og evo?

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Giving my wife my evo when I pick up my 3d. Planning on switching numbers. Do I need to unroot before I head to sprint? Currently running stock rom with

4.1.9.1 cfs krnl
3.70.651.1 cl294884

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
the majority of us, the reps, dont really care if your rooted. Hell we wont bother checking just for an esn swap. nor do we ever check. ive never seen any of my co workers check. Even the tech's dont care as long as they dont have to send the phone back rooted for a device swap

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Giving my wife my evo when I pick up my 3d. Planning on switching numbers. Do I need to unroot before I head to sprint? Currently running stock rom with

4.1.9.1 cfs krnl
3.70.651.1 cl294884

Just call sprint, they can do an swap for you over the phone, you'll just need to give them the MEID info under the battery.

Deutch

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I just went thru this. I got a premier evo 3d in the mail yesterday and activated my 3d. No problems at all doing it online. I tried to activate my old 4g on my wife's line but got an error message online that my plan needed a change (the $10 premium as she was coming from a POS samsung moment) and to call sprint tech.

Sprint was able to activate the 4g's esn but the phone needed to be manually programmed. I couldn't get into the manual editing menus thru the dialer. I would enter ##475002# and the dialer would hang. I tried different roms (I was originally using Mik's 2.0) and nothing worked. Sprint wanted me to take it in to get a new device. I unrooted it just to be safe then retried the dialer code again and it worked. I called sprint back and was able to go thru the manual programming.

So getting to my point, try to enter the dialer code above to make sure you can get to the edit screen before you try to activate your 4g on your wife's line.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Ran into same problem as Deutch and ended up downloading stock rom from Rom Mgr.(free plug) and was able to get EPST access again. I assume that when I go in with the stock rom they can switch the number and then I can restore any other ROM I want?

Deutch

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Ran into same problem as Deutch and ended up downloading stock rom from Rom Mgr.(free plug) and was able to get EPST access again. I assume that when I go in with the stock rom they can switch the number and then I can restore any other ROM I want?

Yes, you will be able to switch to any ROM of your choice after you get the phone activated and provisioned on the sprint line of you choice as long as you don't have to unroot. Unfortunately, when I went thru this I had to unroot just to get access to the EPST settings. I even tried the sprint shipped ROMs and still no luck. I will probably reroot it since I have denied the 2.3.3 OTA updates.

andrusk

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I just went thru this. I got a premier evo 3d in the mail yesterday and activated my 3d. No problems at all doing it online. I tried to activate my old 4g on my wife's line but got an error message online that my plan needed a change (the $10 premium as she was coming from a POS samsung moment) and to call sprint tech.

Sprint was able to activate the 4g's esn but the phone needed to be manually programmed. I couldn't get into the manual editing menus thru the dialer. I would enter ##475002# and the dialer would hang. I tried different roms (I was originally using Mik's 2.0) and nothing worked. Sprint wanted me to take it in to get a new device. I unrooted it just to be safe then retried the dialer code again and it worked. I called sprint back and was able to go thru the manual programming.

So getting to my point, try to enter the dialer code above to make sure you can get to the edit screen before you try to activate your 4g on your wife's line.
I had to do this exact same thing. I started entering in the manual program codes and they didn't work and I was like "I guess this is when I tell you my phones rooted so this isn't going to work. I'll flash the stock rom and call you back". lol

Texzin

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I went through same thing.....so I flashed a stock rooted rom like Fresh , Done a update profile, factory reset, pulled battery , rebooted and all is good. Flashed CM7 now my son is a proud camper

glen4cindy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Like others have said here, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Both in store folks I dealt with had rooted phones too, so, they don't care if you do too, however, per Sprint police, they probably cannot "encourage or assist" you with it. The only thing I ran into is when I had CM6 on a Hero, I could not use OTA Activation or the ##codes. I had to Nandroid and flash a Sense ROM first, then flash back to CM6. This was before CM7, so it might be different assuming you are using something like that.

kellyrx8

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I turned mine in at the sprint store rooted with cm7 on it and even told the dude, its rooted does that matter and he just looked at me like i was speaking german to him. He didnt care at all. The only thing I think they care about is trying to warranty one out when its rooted.

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I turned mine in at the sprint store rooted with cm7 on it and even told the dude, its rooted does that matter and he just looked at me like i was speaking german to him. He didnt care at all. The only thing I think they care about is trying to warranty one out when its rooted.

Exactly. I've traded a rooted and rom'd hero and evo4g on the buy back program and they don't care. The tech actually had me show him the ins and outs of CM7 on the 4G before he cleared it. It was fun.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk