Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Do I need to unroot og evo?

    Giving my wife my evo when I pick up my 3d. Planning on switching numbers. Do I need to unroot before I head to sprint? Currently running stock rom with

    2.2
    2.15.00.04.08
    4.1.9.1 cfs krnl
    3.70.651.1 cl294884
    1.90.003
    01115
  2. #2  

    Default

    I would not worry about it.

    What I would do is go get 3d.

    Then come home and activate OG Evo for wife thru web at sprint.com/activate
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    popularbelief's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default

    Make sure the battery is taken out of both devices prior to swapping into her line. Just a good heads up.
  4. #4  

    Default

    the majority of us, the reps, dont really care if your rooted. Hell we wont bother checking just for an esn swap. nor do we ever check. ive never seen any of my co workers check. Even the tech's dont care as long as they dont have to send the phone back rooted for a device swap
  5. #5  
    trooper54's Avatar

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    Giving my wife my evo when I pick up my 3d. Planning on switching numbers. Do I need to unroot before I head to sprint? Currently running stock rom with

    2.2
    2.15.00.04.08
    4.1.9.1 cfs krnl
    3.70.651.1 cl294884
    1.90.003
    01115
    Just call sprint, they can do an swap for you over the phone, you'll just need to give them the MEID info under the battery.

    "In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"


    I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
  6. #6  
    Deutch's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

    Default

    I just went thru this. I got a premier evo 3d in the mail yesterday and activated my 3d. No problems at all doing it online. I tried to activate my old 4g on my wife's line but got an error message online that my plan needed a change (the $10 premium as she was coming from a POS samsung moment) and to call sprint tech.

    Sprint was able to activate the 4g's esn but the phone needed to be manually programmed. I couldn't get into the manual editing menus thru the dialer. I would enter ##475002# and the dialer would hang. I tried different roms (I was originally using Mik's 2.0) and nothing worked. Sprint wanted me to take it in to get a new device. I unrooted it just to be safe then retried the dialer code again and it worked. I called sprint back and was able to go thru the manual programming.

    So getting to my point, try to enter the dialer code above to make sure you can get to the edit screen before you try to activate your 4g on your wife's line.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies. Ran into same problem as Deutch and ended up downloading stock rom from Rom Mgr.(free plug) and was able to get EPST access again. I assume that when I go in with the stock rom they can switch the number and then I can restore any other ROM I want?
    "Now I may be an ***** but there is one thing I am not, sir and that, sir is an *****." -Peter Griffin
  8. #8  
    Deutch's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Ran into same problem as Deutch and ended up downloading stock rom from Rom Mgr.(free plug) and was able to get EPST access again. I assume that when I go in with the stock rom they can switch the number and then I can restore any other ROM I want?
    Yes, you will be able to switch to any ROM of your choice after you get the phone activated and provisioned on the sprint line of you choice as long as you don't have to unroot. Unfortunately, when I went thru this I had to unroot just to get access to the EPST settings. I even tried the sprint shipped ROMs and still no luck. I will probably reroot it since I have denied the 2.3.3 OTA updates.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Hopefully will save someone from unrooting. Good luck.
    "Now I may be an ***** but there is one thing I am not, sir and that, sir is an *****." -Peter Griffin
  10. #10  

    Default

    Should I unroot before sending the phone back in on the buyback program?
  11. #11  
    newboyx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey184 View Post
    Should I unroot before sending the phone back in on the buyback program?
    Yes. I would factory reset it too.
  12. #12  
    andrusk's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutch View Post
    I just went thru this. I got a premier evo 3d in the mail yesterday and activated my 3d. No problems at all doing it online. I tried to activate my old 4g on my wife's line but got an error message online that my plan needed a change (the $10 premium as she was coming from a POS samsung moment) and to call sprint tech.

    Sprint was able to activate the 4g's esn but the phone needed to be manually programmed. I couldn't get into the manual editing menus thru the dialer. I would enter ##475002# and the dialer would hang. I tried different roms (I was originally using Mik's 2.0) and nothing worked. Sprint wanted me to take it in to get a new device. I unrooted it just to be safe then retried the dialer code again and it worked. I called sprint back and was able to go thru the manual programming.

    So getting to my point, try to enter the dialer code above to make sure you can get to the edit screen before you try to activate your 4g on your wife's line.
    I had to do this exact same thing. I started entering in the manual program codes and they didn't work and I was like "I guess this is when I tell you my phones rooted so this isn't going to work. I'll flash the stock rom and call you back". lol
  13. #13  

    Default

    I went through same thing.....so I flashed a stock rooted rom like Fresh , Done a update profile, factory reset, pulled battery , rebooted and all is good. Flashed CM7 now my son is a proud camper
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Do I need to unroot og evo?

    Like others have said here, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Both in store folks I dealt with had rooted phones too, so, they don't care if you do too, however, per Sprint police, they probably cannot "encourage or assist" you with it. The only thing I ran into is when I had CM6 on a Hero, I could not use OTA Activation or the ##codes. I had to Nandroid and flash a Sense ROM first, then flash back to CM6. This was before CM7, so it might be different assuming you are using something like that.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Do I need to unroot og evo?

    I turned mine in at the sprint store rooted with cm7 on it and even told the dude, its rooted does that matter and he just looked at me like i was speaking german to him. He didnt care at all. The only thing I think they care about is trying to warranty one out when its rooted.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
    I turned mine in at the sprint store rooted with cm7 on it and even told the dude, its rooted does that matter and he just looked at me like i was speaking german to him. He didnt care at all. The only thing I think they care about is trying to warranty one out when its rooted.
    Exactly. I've traded a rooted and rom'd hero and evo4g on the buy back program and they don't care. The tech actually had me show him the ins and outs of CM7 on the 4G before he cleared it. It was fun.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

B