Not picking up 3G?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Step 1: Dial ##775# on your phone's dial pad.(make sure you are using the stock dialer)
Step 2: Enter your msl number
Step 3: Click on Update prl(it will pause for a few seconds before the next screen comes up)
Step 4: Select the Prl file(which is the file you unzipped that should be on your sd card)
Step 5: Select ok
Step 6: After pressing ok on the next screen make sure you hit menu, then select commit
Step 7: Phone should reset in 10 seconds, if not then just reset it yourself.

Hi Wiley,

You don't have to be rooted to use this solution, although for some reason I thought you were. You do have to have your MSL but you can call Sprint and get it. Just be very polite (which I know you are ;)) and tell them you are having data issues and need it. I have seen posts where most people who have asked for it have gotten it. While my 3G is still slow, it is better after I reverted back to the previous PRL.

As for installing the files and unzipping, if you don't already have it, just download Astro File Manager. There are others out there too but that is the one that I use.

EDIT : OK, I have seen posts where people who were not rooted were apparently able to do this and have also read that in order to install the second file you do have to be rooted. So, I guess you could at least try before doing a complete reset.

Last edited:

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Wiley,

You don't have to be rooted to use this solution, although for some reason I thought you were. You do have to have your MSL but you can call Sprint and get it. Just be very polite (which I know you are ;)) and tell them you are having data issues and need it. I have seen posts where most people who have asked for it have gotten it. While my 3G is still slow, it is better after I reverted back to the previous PRL.

As for installing the files and unzipping, if you don't already have it, just download Astro File Manager. There are others out there too but that is the one that I use.

EDIT : OK, I have seen posts where people who were not rooted were apparently able to do this and have also read that in order to install the second file you do have to be rooted. So, I guess you could at least try before doing a complete reset.

Don't you ever sleep?? lol ltm I'm backing up My Backup Pro to online then doing FR. Thanks for the info from you and warpdrive. :D

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Wiley,

Wiley,

I do hope that this idea works for you even tho you are not rooted. it's better then a factory reset.
but if you fear that you may mess up your phone doing this, then go into a sprint store and ask them in a nice way and I'm sure that they will help you.
I have found that sprint's sales team and tech team to be outstanding in the past year or so, and it can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: CarrieK

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't you ever sleep?? lol ltm I'm backing up My Backup Pro to online then doing FR. Thanks for the info from you and warpdrive. :D

Lol not as much as I'd like! ;) I'm always glad to help if I can!

Ok, I have no idea how I posted this twice. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: warpdrive

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Mmmmmm, does Coldstone deliver?!

Sitting here watching some College football and almost out of beer so a "cold one" would be great about now! ;) :p

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Wiley,

I do hope that this idea works for you even tho you are not rooted. it's better then a factory reset.
but if you fear that you may mess up your phone doing this, then go into a sprint store and ask them in a nice way and I'm sure that they will help you.
I have found that sprint's sales team and tech team to be outstanding in the past year or so, and it can't hurt to ask.

To late I already did factory reset...........twice!! Still have 50580?!?! At Sprint repair now as *Retentions* requested to check 3G speeds. The tech has E3D also and has the same 3g issues. He wasn't aware of the fix so I printed out info to give him. He's not rooted but will try to fix both our phones. I read on XDA that someone got $129 knocked off bill for the 3G issue. They were told this wouldn't be resolved until Oct 31. Sounds to me like that's when the switch over to the new system will be completed. :confused:

Reactions: CarrieK

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Wiley. I may just give Sprint a call because this has been a pain! A credit to my account might ease that pain just a little ;)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I dial ##775# but nothing happens. Am I missing something?

If you're using a third party dialer it won't work. I know this first hand because it happened to me. To get back to the stock dialer, go to applications, manage applications, locate the third party dialer and disable defaults. Then, open the phone and when prompted check the option to use as default and select the stock dialer.

cmurgia

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I had miserable speed. Called Sprint and got my MSL with no problem and reverted back the PRL and it made a HUGE difference.

The interesting part is it showed 3g the whole time. It wasn't until I dialed *2 to bring up Sprint Zone that I saw I only had 1x.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It's weird because I have never put a different dialer on.

Well, it was worth a shot. I am rooted and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. Every time I dialed the codes my phone would try to call the number instead of bringing up the menu. Lol maybe this will help someone who is having the same experience save a lot of time :)

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I took the prl update and my 3g speeds are very bad this is pathetic a much as u pay a month this needs to be fixed . I don't have internet where I live and cannot repair this ony own so hope Sprint does something soon to fix this.

Desean1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know where to find prl updates? I'm looking for prl update 21078 I currently have 21081 and this ish SUCKS!

3Down

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset definitely did not work for me. Emailed Sprint from their website only to be told I have a tech support issue and to call.

This is ridiculous. And the phone still lost half its charge over night while I slept Which was the only reason I did the update in the first place, in hopes of longer battery life.