What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I just want to get my contacts on my new phone. Apparently HTC Sync doesn't work with Office x64, so just wondering what's the best sync program for the EVO. If it syncs music etc... too that's fine.

If I'm going to need a sync program for my contacts so I guess I'm willing to pay a little for something that will handle all my syncing. But really I just want a quick way to get my contacts on my phone. I'm a total newbie and haven't even installed a single program on an Android phone.

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why not?

Sent from my Inspiration
Like I said. I'm a newbie, but with my Iphone sync'd to Outlook I had all my info on my Iphone including some info I'm sure some people would not want on the internet. I also don't think some of my contacts would appreciate me putting their address and phone number on the internet. Everybody get's hacked these days. I just don't think it's good practice.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Understandable. But most of the time you are syncing your information somewhere, it is getting on the internet one way or the other. Whether it is by your hands or someone elses. Some things you could do instead on backing them up to gmail is you can back them up on your SD card on your phone. I have not tried anything else myself. I just put them on my gmail. But, i can see what you mean.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the info is no less safe in your gmail account than anywhere else. If they have a cell phone, facebook account, or email address, it's not going to make much difference. It is already out there. It also happens to be by far the best way to manage, backup, and transfer contact on android.

Just use a complex password (google how to make one you can remember) and you are pretty safe. Much safer than handing your credit card over to a stranger in a store or restaurant.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with using Google, I actually moved to using Google to manage all my contacts.

But if not, can't you export them as vcard, then import them?

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with using Google, I actually moved to using Google to manage all my contacts.

But if not, can't you export them as vcard, then import them?

That's a lot of work considering I have close to 1000 contacts lol.

I've resolved my issue. As I have technet I downloaded the x86 version of office, uninstalled the 64bit and installed x86. All contacts are on my phone now.

YEAH!!!

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I've resolved my issue. As I have technet I downloaded the x86 version of office, uninstalled the 64bit and installed x86. All contacts are on my phone now.

YEAH!!!

So HTC Sync Sense works well with 32-bit Office and synced your 1000 contacts flawlessly?

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

YEAH!!!

can you give a bit more details on ho wyou did this?

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
can you give a bit more details on ho wyou did this?

I'm not quite sure what your asking.

I have Windows 7 64Bit

I had Office 2010 64Bit installed

I downloaded the sync program from the HTC 4G site here HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO

The install took a couple reboots of my system to allow my phone to find the program on my PC for some reason. At first the phone was saying it couldn't find a sync program on my PC. Not sure if everyone will have this issue.

Once my phone did find the program on my PC and I tried to sync I kept getting a message saying "no default email client can be found. After some Googling I found that Office 2010 64Bit does not work with HTC Sync, But the x86 version would.

So I uninstalled the 64Bit version of Office and installed the x86 version and it worked. I feel fortunate that I have access to the x86 version without having to resort to less than legal means to get it. :)

Reactions: daikon

BigdaddyK361

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok so im new to android and would like to sync my contacts to Google, how do i go about doing that or does it do it automagically or what? Thanks in advance.

Never mind went to gmail and was clicking on stuff and found all my contacts sorry for being ignorant. :)

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what your asking.

I have Windows 7 64Bit

I had Office 2010 64Bit installed

I downloaded the sync program from the HTC 4G site here HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO

The install took a couple reboots of my system to allow my phone to find the program on my PC for some reason. At first the phone was saying it couldn't find a sync program on my PC. Not sure if everyone will have this issue.

Once my phone did find the program on my PC and I tried to sync I kept getting a message saying "no default email client can be found. After some Googling I found that Office 2010 64Bit does not work with HTC Sync, But the x86 version would.

So I uninstalled the 64Bit version of Office and installed the x86 version and it worked. I feel fortunate that I have access to the x86 version without having to resort to less than legal means to get it. :)

That is very helpfull! Thank you! I am happy that I have the x86 version!

So the program works with the 3D even though it is for the 4G?

Also is there anything I need to know about using outlook with office? I have never used outlook though it is there...

Can I simply import the contacts into outlook without configuring it/ adding any email accounts to it, then sync the contacts with this program to the 3D?

Also with this method make it so my contacts do not conflict with my facebook or any gmail contacts that I have ( I read that some people had doubles and triples that would not link automatically or that when they would text, contact numbers would be send too :confused: )

THANK YOU!!!:eek:;):p

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
That is very helpfull! Thank you! I am happy that I have the x86 version!

So the program works with the 3D even though it is for the 4G?

Yes

Also is there anything I need to know about using outlook with office? I have never used outlook though it is there...

Can I simply import the contacts into outlook without configuring it/ adding any email accounts to it, then sync the contacts with this program to the 3D?

Not sure what your trying to do. Import contacts from where and why would you do this? I have used outlook for years so all my contacts are there. I've gone through 4 phones that all sync with outlook, so I've never had to worry about losing my phone or transferring contacts when I get a new phone. I also have used it for pop mail because I like having my own local copy of my emails correspondence and the interface vs web interface, though web interfaces have matured a lot since I started using outlook.

Also with this method make it so my contacts do not conflict with my facebook or any gmail contacts that I have ( I read that some people had doubles and triples that would not link automatically or that when they would text, contact numbers would be send too :confused: )

THANK YOU!!!:eek:;):p

I don't know about duplicates. The online contacts such as Facebook were there, but I was asked if I wanted to link them to my contacts from outlook, which I did.

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what your trying to do. Import contacts from where and why would you do this? I have used outlook for years so all my contacts are there. I've gone through 4 phones that all sync with outlook, so I've never had to worry about losing my phone or transferring contacts when I get a new phone. I also have used it for pop mail because I like having my own local copy of my emails correspondence and the interface vs web interface, though web interfaces have matured a lot since I started using outlook.

I am trying to import my contacts from my palm pre to (I guess) outlook, even though I have never used outlook, so I can import them on my Evo 3d.

What I am trying to do is transfer my contacts over the best way possible without exposing my contacts to "the cloud." I feel their privacy is not something I have the right to risk.

I don't know about duplicates. The online contacts such as Facebook were there, but I was asked if I wanted to link them to my contacts from outlook, which I did.

Thank you:eek:

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to import my contacts from my palm pre to (I guess) outlook, even though I have never used outlook, so I can import them on my Evo 3d.

What I am trying to do is transfer my contacts over the best way possible without exposing my contacts to "the cloud." I feel their privacy is not something I have the right to risk.

Thank you:eek:

The palm should have software that will sync with Outlook. I would look into that first. You can import into outlook without setting up an email account. If it tries to force an email account on you, just use fake info.

Once you get them imported from your palm, you can use the HTC sync program with no problems. At least I didn't have any once I had the x86 version of Outlook

Reactions: daikon

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Cut the Cord!!!

Just export Lookout Contacts to a .csv file and import them into Google Contacts. Never create another contact in Lookout or in the phones local database. Always create them as Google Contacts and your contacts will be available on any web browser.

An email address is NOT sensitive and neither is phone number. If you have some really sensitive contact information then you should be encrypting it in a text or .csv file using ES Explorer at a minimum. Having that stuff synced to your phone so someone can pick it up when you are not looking is WAY more of a risk than storing it on a Google Server. For that matter unless you are an expert your information is probably safer stored on a Google Server or Drop Box type service than on your home PC.

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Cut the Cord!!!

Just export Lookout Contacts to a .csv file and import them into Google Contacts. Never create another contact in Lookout or in the phones local database. Always create them as Google Contacts and your contacts will be available on any web browser.

An email address is NOT sensitive and neither is phone number. If you have some really sensitive contact information then you should be encrypting it in a text or .csv file using ES Explorer at a minimum. Having that stuff synced to your phone so someone can pick it up when you are not looking is WAY more of a risk than storing it on a Google Server. For that matter unless you are an expert your information is probably safer stored on a Google Server or Drop Box type service than on your home PC.

You are incorrect sir. But thanks for your inaccurate and arrogant response.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty