All 3D's not created equal

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else get more than one 3D and notice obvious differences? Just got the phone I ordered online today and I am not happy with it. The screen is yellower, and the haptic feedback/vibration is subpar (more like the original EVO). If I hadn't of had the phone I bought from BB on Friday, I wouldn't have noticed these things, so I'm glad I didn't wait for this one to show up.

I originally pre-ordered, but then found out about the premier customer's ability to order online. So I ordered, thinking I'd get it ahead of launch day. Then found out my phone wouldn't be delivered until Monday so I went to BB on Friday and signed up for a new line so that I could buy another E3D for upgrade price. I was just going to play around with it until my other one arrived from UPS, and then planned on returning it. (I couldn't wait until Monday, what can I say?!?) So now that I can tell that the first one I received is clearly better, my new plan of action is to return the Sprint online ordered one, which will restore my upgrade, and then return the BB one, cancel the additional line and rebuy the BB one as my upgraded device. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else get more than one 3D and notice obvious differences? Just got the phone I ordered online today and I am not happy with it. The screen is yellower, and the haptic feedback/vibration is subpar (more like the original EVO). If I hadn't of had the phone I bought from BB on Friday, I wouldn't have noticed these things, so I'm glad I didn't wait for this one to show up.

I originally pre-ordered, but then found out about the premier customer's ability to order online. So I ordered, thinking I'd get it ahead of launch day. Then found out my phone wouldn't be delivered until Monday so I went to BB on Friday and signed up for a new line so that I could buy another E3D for upgrade price. I was just going to play around with it until my other one arrived from UPS, and then planned on returning it. (I couldn't wait until Monday, what can I say?!?) So now that I can tell that the first one I received is clearly better, my new plan of action is to return the Sprint online ordered one, which will restore my upgrade, and then return the BB one, cancel the additional line and rebuy the BB one as my upgraded device. Does that make sense?

Sounds a little complicated... but whatever works! :confused:

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My second evo (first had a dead pixel) has a slightly raised bevel/edge to the screen on one side. But considering this means the glass is slightly more protected, I guess it's good.

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My second evo (first had a dead pixel) has a slightly raised bevel/edge to the screen on one side. But considering this means the glass is slightly more protected, I guess it's good.

That's weird, haha. That seems more obvious than what I noticed on mine. I feel petty for being unhappy about something so small, but in all honesty the vibration/haptic feedback was one of the first things I noticed, and when I told the guy that it felt good like the Droid X, he said a few other customers had said the same thing. Your issue is something a nice case would hide, though, right?

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Took some pics of the difference in colors in the screen. Dunno how obvious it will be to you all in pictures. Which screen do you think looks better? The one on the left is the new one that IRL looks a tad yellower.

First pic you can see the difference in the blacks on the launcher.
All pics were taken with full brightness.

Also, here are pics of my 3D (the one on the right in pics above) with my launch day EVO.

Last edited:

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Took some pics of the difference in colors in the screen. Dunno how obvious it will be to you all in pictures. Which screen do you think looks better? The one on the left is the new one that IRL looks a tad yellower.

First pic you can see the difference in the blacks on the launcher.
All pics were taken with full brightness.

Also, here are pics of my 3D (the one on the right in pics above) with my launch day EVO.

They look the same to me, man....

Theres some cases where I think the left looks better, and some where the right looks better.

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Have 3 here at the office...

Phone 1) Not smooth at all, has apparent lag going between screens and when trying to multitask

Phone 2) Overheated last night and fried a SD card, but otherwise runs great

Phone 3) 3D camera has glitches, but otherwise runs great

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

Phone 1) Not smooth at all, has apparent lag going between screens and when trying to multitask

None of those would fly with me and all would be returned.... ESPECIALLY phone 2.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Remember that out of Every (let's say) ten devices made..two might be in some way defective. That's with anything man-made. This shouldn't differ anyone from purchasing such device. The EVO 3d is an Amazing phone, and one should just take time to appreciate such a device.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Remember that out of Every (let's say) ten devices made..two might be in some way defective. That's with anything man-made. This shouldn't differ anyone from purchasing such device. The EVO 3d is an Amazing phone, and one should just take time to appreciate such a device.

Yup, why demand high quality. Nothing is perfect! Just deal with your bad luck!

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Oh wow. That's crazy. I don't think I'd put up with any of those things from a brand new phone, especially when there are 3D's with none of these issues.

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Are they both the same hardware version?

Yea, 0002. And both had the updates as well. I feel like the vibration got slightly better on the 2nd one after the update, but still noticeably dull compared to my first one. This is the biggest killer for me I guess. The screen color differences I would only notice while holding them next to each other and since I only need to decide to keep one of the two, this won't be a problem.

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

I do, I love the phone. But, since I have the opportunity to choose the better of the two to keep, that's what I'm trying to do. Both phones are beast, but the better vibration was something I noticed immediately upon purchasing the phone, and then, of course, immediately when turning on the second one I received.

wcmarchese#AC

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I see you wrote the second phone got really hot.

My 3D gets pretty warm, especially when doing things like video and multitasking. My EVO 4G got hot with 4G on, but nothing too extreme. I figured it is getting warm because of the two cores? I did have crappy coverage when I was streaming. I've been using it and it hasn't got that warm again.

Anyone else notice warmth happening when they use the phone, mostly toward the top of the phone?

WCM

GAMETIME

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It's deja vu with the screens. On the OG EvO, Nova panels were on the cooler side of the spectrum and Epson on the warmer side. Seems this time around, launch day phones are a mixed batch of 2 different makers.

crabjoe

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Same thing happened to me. 1st was great all around, expect dead pixel and a bit of light leakage.. 2nd one had raised bevel/edge... The heptic feedback isn't as good and there's what looks like a pin hole between the home and menu buttons that light bleeds through. Even with the issues, no dead pixels and battery life is much better then the 1st... After 14 hrs of light usage, I'm still at 80%... I'll keep it.... That is unless they don't unlock the bootloader or at least announce a date with in my 30 day return period.

dacp283

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
These are the same with any phone. My X for example runs stable at 1.4ghz though it scares me with heat so I Keep it at 1.35 but my other X would immediately crash if I went over 1.1. It's odd but slight deformities as I call em are typical. Let's be real, companies are producing at the cheapest level these days to make huge amounts of products quickly and cheaply.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I see you wrote the second phone got really hot.

My 3D gets pretty warm, especially when doing things like video and multitasking. My EVO 4G got hot with 4G on, but nothing too extreme. I figured it is getting warm because of the two cores? I did have crappy coverage when I was streaming. I've been using it and it hasn't got that warm again.

Anyone else notice warmth happening when they use the phone, mostly toward the top of the phone?

WCM

Yes. I was playing a few games for only 15 min on the 3D and the area right behind the cameras was noticeably warm. Much warmer than a similar session would evoke on the 4G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888