My Dilemma: EVO3D vs. Sensation

KenshoSC

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
As background I am coming from an EVO 4G and both of these phones are dramatic improvements over that phone.

I have had a Sensation for about 2 weeks and the EVO3D since launch date. In my area, Charleston SC, there is very limited Sprint 4G (one neighborhood as apparently a test site) and pretty decent Tmobile 4G (apparently there is a debate of what 4G is and whether TMobile has it)

I have both phones loaded with my apps so use wise there are essentially the same.

I like the EVO3D although the 3D part is a gimmick. Yes It works..but the usefulness is the gimmick part. I like the fact the phone is a bit thicker than the Sensation as it often feel delicate and I have big hands (no not BK big hands but I digress).

The Sensation besides being "delicate" is a great phone as well.

If I had to pick I would give the EVO3D a 8/10 and the Sensation a 9/10 (purely subjective of course)

Here is my dilemma, ETFs aside, Tmobile has a higher monthly cost and a limit on data but the service is SO much faster than Sprint in my area.

With Sprint I would not have to pay ETF and the monthly cost is lower and they have announced my area would be getting 4G this year

SO here is the so what moment:

Which one would you pick:

EVO3D: lesser desired phone (but still a great phone and it is my opinion), lower cost of ownership, slower network (although COULD be better later this year)

OR

Sensation: Better phone (in my opinion) but feels delicate, higher cost, significantly faster network

Basically if all things being even are you willing to pay for the phone you prefer and higher speeds for 20% more cost per month.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
If coverage is important for you go sensation. If cost is more important go evo 3d. I would personally pick the evo 3d. It has 3d, you don't have to use it and it really isn't as gimmicky as others put out and also the dev support on the Evo 3d is way better than the sensations. It has also been said that the evo 3d is faster, but since you have both you can decide if that really matters. Other than looks, 3d, and coverage everything about the phones are the same. In my area Sprint has better coverage than t-mobile(neither have 4g down here yet though).

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint carried the HTC Sensation AND the Evo 3D, I would still personally go with the Evo 3D.

It has more RAM and runs more lag-free than the Sensation does. That's enough difference for me.

Keep note, Sprint and HTC work very hard to keep their phones updated(for Sprint).

They still continue to update the year old Evo 4G and they've already released two updates for the Sensation Evo 3D (That was a serious mistake there, whooops :p )

I've seen phones on T-mobile go a long time with no update. Consider these things, on top of the way more affordable plans on Sprint and given that by the end of the Summer Sprint's network will have been drastically improved (according to many tower update promises and LTE in the works)

Last edited:

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
the question is too subjective. I'm personally happy with Sprint 3G speeds. And I'm around wifi a lot. So I would not pay the extra for tmobile.

The sensation isn't enough to convince me to pay extra either. I generally go for the carrier first because it's usually the most important factor. I got lucky, sprint works great for me while saving me cash.

But if sprint had the sensation? I'd go for it in a heartbeat. why? because I hate the huge protruding camera. I was trying to go caseless, but the red paint is chipping already. If it was all the same rubbery backing material, wouldn't be an issue either.

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
If Sprint carried the HTC Sensation AND the Evo 3D, I would still personally go with the Evo 3D.

It has more RAM and runs more lag-free than the Sensation does. That's enough difference for me.

Keep note, Sprint and HTC work very hard to keep their phones updated(for Sprint).

They still continue to update the year old Evo 4G and they've already released two updates for the Sensation.

I've seen phones on T-mobile go a long time with no update. Consider these things, on top of the way more affordable plans on Sprint and given that by the end of the Summer Sprint's network will have been drastically improved (according to many tower update promises and LTE in the works)
You must mean that they've already released 2 updates for the "Evo 3d" not the Sensation....

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

They still continue to update the year old Evo 4G and they've already released two updates for the Sensation.

Since I am on Sprint, If I don't like 3D, I'd go for Nexus S 4G. I am not "Youtube 3D fan or some 3D pictures. Whew, I think I made a right phone because I only check email, text, and facebook. I don't like taking pictures on phone. It's low color picture. Lucky, I have expensive Sony α55 (SLT-A55V) camera.

So no to low battery, 3D thingy, and pictures. It's not for me. :cool: I am going to buy Nexus S 4G next week.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint had the Sensation, is be in the Sensation threads and wouldn't have even seen this thread...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I love my EVO 3D... It's up to you. I don't have 4G where I live but everywhere around me does, but I also have WiFi at home and most of the places that I'm usually at have either WiFi or 4G so it doesn't matter to me. I guess you don't care much about the 3D so for you it really comes down to coverage.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I love my EVO 3D... It's up to you. I don't have 4G where I live but everywhere around me does, but I also have WiFi at home and most of the places that I'm usually at have either WiFi or 4G so it doesn't matter to me. I guess you don't care much about the 3D so for you it really comes down to coverage.

Indeed!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana