Some Sense 3.0 things I'm confused with

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Evo 3D is my first android device and I've been spending a lot of time learning it, but I have a few questions about Android/Sense that maybe some of you can answer.

1: What does syncing HTC sense do? Is is just for contacts or is it like with WebOS backup and all the apps & data get stored offline for backup?

ANSWERED - Has anyone successfully gotten HTCsense.com to connect with their phone? It keeps telling me that it cannot find my phone even though I have it syncing.

2: ANSWERED - In Gmail, what is the connection type? There are no options for choosing how often it should sync so I'm assuming it's IMAP and push email, however I'm not sure. Also for that matter, how come with my work email I can't choose push email as I had with my Palm Pre? Is there a way to enable push for an IMAP account in the email app?

3: ANSWERED - Is there any way to set individual contact notification sounds for text messages received? I haven't found that yet.

4: ANSERED - Is there a way to turn off browser history?

5: Is anyone else having trouble with the Google Reader app? I want to use that but it was always blinking/flashing so I'm just using the stock HTC news feed app.

6: Is there any kind of stock or Google made note taking app? It really seems like there should be. I found Colornote though, which is good, but I want something that looks a little more stock-ish.

7: ANSWERED - Any brightness widgets that actually let you adjust the brightness slider or shortcuts to get there quickly?

8: What does the "Voice Privacy" option in phone settings do?

That's all for now.

Last edited:

hyperphantom

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm also new to android, but for the brightness widget I use "brightness level" app by curvefish. Has a slider or you can change it to 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 percent brightness, or auto.

Reactions: anon(285475)

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
7: Any brightness widgets that actually let you adjust the brightness slider or shortcuts to get there quickly?

Yes, go to add a widget, then look in all HTC widgets, there's one for brightness (widget #41 of 80). There's also a good "power dashboard" which includes brightness, timeout, wifi, sync, and BT.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, go to add a widget, then look in all HTC widgets, there's one for brightness (widget #41 of 80). There's also a good "power dashboard" which includes brightness, timeout, wifi, sync, and BT.

This fits the bill. I like how it only takes up 1 spot on the desktop and then pops up as a slider when you press it. Also nice to have an auto-brightness option without having to go into the settings.

I'm also new to android, but for the brightness widget I use "brightness level" app by curvefish. Has a slider or you can change it to 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 percent brightness, or auto.

The HTC widget just doesn't get dim enough for me. I like to turn it all the way down when I'm in the dark.

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Finally, as far as HTC Sense not locating your phone, we suggest you ensure phone finder is turned on by going to menu>settings>location> check mark phone finder. If it is already on, the next step would be to remove the HTC Sense account from Accounts & Sync. Once removed, restart your phone and re-add the account under Accounts & Sync and retry using the phone finder function.

this is what I was told by HTC when my phone was not syncing with Sense on my computer...

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
2: In Gmail, what is the connection type? There are no options for choosing how often it should sync so I'm assuming it's IMAP and push email, however I'm not sure. Also for that matter, how come with my work email I can't choose push email as I had with my Palm Pre? Is there a way to enable push for an IMAP account in the email app?

Yes GMAIL is push..

Also with your work email, is there an exchange server at your job??? Or did you set up your email account on your phone stating that it is exchange? You should have that option. Also i would recommend you contact someone who is a tech who can give you info on how to set up on your phone. Two things i know i need is the server address and the domain name from my job whenever i set up any of my co workers email on their phones.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
3: Is there any way to set individual contact notification sounds for text messages received? I haven't found that yet.

4: Is there a way to turn off browser history?

3 can be done with handcent.

4 can be done with Dolphin browser among others.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes GMAIL is push..

Also with your work email, is there an exchange server at your job??? Or did you set up your email account on your phone stating that it is exchange? You should have that option. Also i would recommend you contact someone who is a tech who can give you info on how to set up on your phone. Two things i know i need is the server address and the domain name from my job whenever i set up any of my co workers email on their phones.

I do have my work email all set up and working except I did it as an IMAP account and not an exchange account, which I do not believe we have. IMAP does support push email though and I had it set up the same way on my Pre and it let me select Push without a problem.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I do have my work email all set up and working except I did it as an IMAP account and not an exchange account, which I do not believe we have. IMAP does support push email though and I had it set up the same way on my Pre and it let me select Push without a problem.

Ok scratch that. After digging through my company's website I found out how to sync it with the exchange server. Push is enabled. Although, it's still a mystery as to why I couldn't do it as an IMAP account. Oh well.