Help! I have no roms installed and am unable to install any.

unclefarkus

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
So, here's my situation. This all went down about a month or so ago. Since then I've been using an old phone. I'm determined to fix this now.

I was rooted with Cleanrom working. I decided I wanted to unroot and update to the Jellybean update. Well, one thing led to another and being the novice noob that I am, I ended up with no roms installed with no backups. Stupid me; lesson learned.

Now, what I have is this:

Tampered
Unlocked
S-On
Hboot-1.19.0000
Radio-1.12.11.0809
OpenDSP-v29-1.0.45.0622
eMMC-boot
Aug 9 2012

My recovery is TWRP, version v2.1.8

Now, here is another problem...I can't fastboot for some reason. When I plug in the USB and hit "fastboot", the fastboot USB does appear, but on the computer it says "usb device malfunctioned yada yada". I say this because I was reading the thread just a few below mine where something similar happened. I was going to follow those directions. Obviously I can't. As far as I know, I have the proper HTC drivers installed; afterall, I used fastboot to install recovery to begin with.

This is all super weird too because I can mount the SD card via recovery and it shows up on the computer with no problems. It's only in fastboot that it "malfunctions". Typing adb devices returns a blank line also.

Other problems, I have tried flashing a few roms: meanrom, cleanrom, meanbean... most of them fail for one reason or another. Cleanrom will finish flashing, but after rebooting, nothing ever happens again.

So, I think I've been thorough on the whole thing. Does anybody know where to start or how to fix me up? Thank you in advance :)

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can't tell you how to force flash a ROM, but I'll throw this out there FWIW. Have you considered just taking the phone to a Sprint repair center and asking them to do a factory reset on it? A couple of years ago I had an original EVO that I rooted, but over time borked something up. Later, I wanted to switch the phone to a different number on the account, but I couldn't because whatever I borked messed up the phone's ability to program a new phone number. With nothing to lose, I took it to Sprint. In 20 minutes, the tech flashed everything back to out-of-the box stock. I'm sure he knew the phone was rooted. But I didn't get any dirty looks, lectures or spankins. Nor did it cost a dime. He just fixed it and handed it back to me. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try. It's not like they're gonna confiscate the phone when they find out it was tampered with. If they'll help, you've got a phone with stock JB, and if you want to root again, no reason why you can't.

unclefarkus

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This is good advice that I hadn't really considered tbh. The nearest Sprint store is somewhat far, so I probably won't get around to trying this for at least a week; but if I'm still in limbo next weekend I will give this a go.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is good advice that I hadn't really considered tbh. The nearest Sprint store is somewhat far, so I probably won't get around to trying this for at least a week; but if I'm still in limbo next weekend I will give this a go.
You can run a RUU yourself to return it back to stock and start over if you like
Here is a link to them, they are a .exe so you run it on your windows pc Shipped ROMs
boot the phone into fastboot usb mode and with the phone pluged in double click the exe file and follow the on screen instructions. it will take a little while to run but when its done you will be back to factory stock.
If you have any Problems hit me up here
Scott's ROMS

unclefarkus

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
What operating system are you using?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I have Windows 8. Could that be the culprit for the USB problem perhaps?

As for the RUU, I have given that a try before but with the USB issue, it always gives a connection error and can't find the phone.
I should also say that prior to this mess, several months back, I ran an RUU to update while rooted with no problems.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You can run a RUU yourself to return it back to stock and start over if you like
Here is a link to them, they are a .exe so you run it on your windows pc Shipped ROMs
boot the phone into fastboot usb mode and with the phone pluged in double click the exe file and follow the on screen instructions. it will take a little while to run but when its done you will be back to factory stock.
If you have any Problems hit me up here
Scott's ROMS
Benny to the rescue!

Sent from a phone using an application. That's pretty cool.

unclefarkus

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I got a hold of a Windows 7 computer and installed the drivers...USB Flashboot is working! Windows 8 didn't like the drivers for some reason.

So, I'm hopeful.

I'm trying to install the RUU Benny posted...I'm doing 2.13... it keeps getting stuck on the "sending" part. I will try an older RUU next. Maybe 1.22.
To be clear, do I need to relock the phone or anything before I do the RUU? Could that be the problem?

I feel close.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got a hold of a Windows 7 computer and installed the drivers...USB Flashboot is working! Windows 8 didn't like the drivers for some reason.

So, I'm hopeful.

I'm trying to install the RUU Benny posted...I'm doing 2.13... it keeps getting stuck on the "sending" part. I will try an older RUU next. Maybe 1.22.
To be clear, do I need to relock the phone or anything before I do the RUU? Could that be the problem?

I feel close.

Yes, you need to relock.

Sent from a phone using an application. That's pretty cool.

unclefarkus

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
if I were to try taking this to sprint for a new one, what would be a good way of bending the truth for a new phone?

what if i said "i was trying to update to Jellybean and something weird happened"

would that fly?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

So, I'm hopeful.

I feel close.
The only way to use a older RUU is if your bootloader is s-off and your not so you can use the version your on or newer. I have a PG75IMG uploading right and we will try that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer