Achieving S-Off

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm still relatively new to this whole rooting thing, but I'm learning as I go. I used the HTC Dev unlocker to root my phone, but I never did the S-Off thing. I downloaded the Lazy Panda files a minute ago, but when it starts the process, it finds my phone, then starts, but then says "Can't find Panda" and I have to hit enter to exit.

Any tips?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
What software version is your phone on?
It's not going to work if you have 1.22.651.3 with hboot 1.15.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's it.

Can you go backwards? Maybe that's my problem with losing my data when I go to CM10...

You can downgrade your software version, but not your hboot...which is what matters for s-off. Unfortunately you're out of luck until 1.15 gets cracked.

Sent from my EVO LTE

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
does it matter though? you can still do everything you need to do with s-on, right?

That's true if you're not on hboot 1.15. If you took the OTA or got a phone with the updated software, you cannot flash kernels via recovery. Not that big of a deal if you're switching between Sense ROMs; the stock kernel will be compatible but you won't get any customizations the dev might have made to the kernel. If you want to try CM10 however, you have to flash the boot.img via fastboot or flash gui. If you rooted before the OTA and never took it, no extra steps required.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
interesting - so how do i root it then?
my phone is updated to 1.22.651 3 710RD

Do you think i should wait until they've cracked it so i can get S-off or do it now?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
interesting - so how do i root it then?
my phone is updated to 1.22.651 3 710RD

Do you think i should wait until they've cracked it so i can get S-off or do it now?

You can use regawMOD to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and gain root access with the latest version:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1690919

I would go ahead and do that since there isn't an ETA on s-off. When it's ready, being unlocked shouldn't affect your ability to get s-off (I used regawMOD and then lazy panda with no problem).

Sent from my EVO LTE

Reactions: DisplacedMic

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks PreMo

off topic - what version of windows are most people using these days? it's been several years since i've used windows (i'm mac at work and Linux at home) but is XP still the version of choice for most people or have they rebounded from the Vista fiasco with W7?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
thanks PreMo

off topic - what version of windows are most people using these days? it's been several years since i've used windows (i'm mac at work and Linux at home) but is XP still the version of choice for most people or have they rebounded from the Vista fiasco with W7?

I use 7 personally, and it sounds like most people on these forums do too. There is still a decent sized user base that's clinging to xp though.

Sent from my EVO LTE

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Cool. Installed it last night. Seems to be doing fine with the 30 gigs and 1 gig ram I gave it... not sure what this "antivirus" thing it keeps bugging me to get is though...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Installed it last night. Seems to be doing fine with the 30 gigs and 1 gig ram I gave it... not sure what this "antivirus" thing it keeps bugging me to get is though...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, one of my last favorite things about 7 is getting a brand new install "configured", as in getting rid of all the little annoyances like the alert center messages you're talking about. You can disable the majority of them (like antivirus warning) and set the alert center notification to be hidden in the system tray so you don't get the popups. You'll probably wanna disable UAC too so that it doesn't nag you for permission when you try to run stuff. Once you get everything setup though, 7 is really nice.

As far as the antivirus stuff, the message is annoying but it's still a good idea to install some. If you want a good free one, download AVG free. I use it, and it works well for basic protection.

Sent from my EVO LTE

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, one of my last favorite things about 7 is getting a brand new install "configured", as in getting rid of all the little annoyances like the alert center messages you're talking about. You can disable the majority of them (like antivirus warning) and set the alert center notification to be hidden in the system tray so you don't get the popups. You'll probably wanna disable UAC too so that it doesn't nag you for permission when you try to run stuff. Once you get everything setup though, 7 is really nice.

As far as the antivirus stuff, the message is annoying but it's still a good idea to install some. If you want a good free one, download AVG free. I use it, and it works well for basic protection.

Sent from my EVO LTE

haha - i was just being a pretentious mac snob, i couldn't help it ;-p
i put norton on there

FoxNovak3657

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
put avast on it. its free and better. and for the htc evo 4g lte. if you have the twrp recovery. go to it. in the advanced settings there should be htc dumlock. go there and do install htc dumlock. turn your phone on run the app. it flashes recovery to boot. restart your phone normally. it will go to recovery no matter what unless you go to bootloader. now you can flash roms and kernels. stay away from the evilz kernel especially if you want cm10. i have a bricked phone now. before you flash go to the spot where you selected install dumlock and there is an option to restore boot. do that then flash whatever and your all set

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87