Activation fee

karaze49

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed on my sprint bill that I was charged an activation fee for my evo. I've never been charged when activating new phones on their website. Only thing is that I was forced to call customer service to activate because towards the end of the steps, it said I had to call customer service to activate. I called sprint today and they told me that they couldnt waive the fee and that everyone was charged this. I kind of didn't believe him though. Anyone else get charged activation fee?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I noticed on my sprint bill that I was charged an activation fee for my evo. I've never been charged when activating new phones on their website. Only thing is that I was forced to call customer service to activate because towards the end of the steps, it said I had to call customer service to activate. I called sprint today and they told me that they couldnt waive the fee and that everyone was charged this. I kind of didn't believe him though. Anyone else get charged activation fee?

Pretty much everyone will get an activation fee for a new device, especially if it involved customer service. I have called and had it waved once (not THIS time), but they said they would not do it again. I think it is just another money-grab/hidden fee. Pretty much all the carriers do it.

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, all carriers do it. I think it is just stupid, I'm agreeing to a two year contract with you and agreeing to give you my business and you are going to charge me for that?

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
They used to be much more flexible with waiving it but those days are long over. Unless you have a referral or corporate plan which specifically waives this fee you are screwed.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The free activation online is no longer around similar to the yearly upgrade we used to get as Premier Gold customers.

It's just another money maker for Sprint but I guess you can't complain because as said above, it's true of all carriers.

Sprint is pretty much dumping the perks that were put in place to attract customers from other carriers. It's still the best deal if the network is decent for you but that two-three year stretch where they coddled the customers is over.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The reason I stay with Sprint is because if there is a dispute about any charges on my bill, I can usually have them reversed ... I have a 99.9% success rate ... You just have to have the right argument ... NEVER settle ... It's always worth a shot to have them credit your account.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded 2 of 3 line with EVO LTE, they charged me activation fee (36=36=72), but I called Sprint customer service and ed about their 3G speed and No LTE service, and threatened them that I'm still in my 14 days testdrive only to get my $72 credit. You are not gonna believe what happened. The girl was talking to credited me $108 on my next bill for staying with Sprint, and since activation fee was till pending she gave me an additional $87 to cover it since she couldn't process waiver. so I ended up getting $195 credit (87+108)

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded 2 of 3 line with EVO LTE, they charged me activation fee (36=36=72), but I called Sprint customer service and ed about their 3G speed and No LTE service, and threatened them that I'm still in my 14 days testdrive only to get my $72 credit. You are not gonna believe what happened. The girl was talking to credited me $108 on my next bill for staying with Sprint, and since activation fee was till pending she gave me an additional $87 to cover it since she couldn't process waiver. so I ended up getting $195 credit (87+108)

Now THATS what I'm talking about ... Where there is a will, there IS a way.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my phones at BB for $400 out the door sold I sold my OG EVO ans EVO 3D for total of $410 + sprint paid $195, purchased a Media Link HD and still made money for getting 2 LTEs...

Sent from EVO 4G LTE

karaze49

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Wow, that's crazy. See I'd like to do something like that, but I'm afraid that they'll put me on the bad list of people who complain about things to get credit or other benefits. I remember a couple years ago sprint terminated a bunch of contracts of people who called and complained often.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's crazy. See I'd like to do something like that, but I'm afraid that they'll put me on the bad list of people who complain about things to get credit or other benefits. I remember a couple years ago sprint terminated a bunch of contracts of people who called and complained often.
Some people just like to complain...but if you have a valid complain/argument they're not stupid. Even if they terminate contract you will get to keep the devices, sale the phones and move on to a career with better coverage, they will welcome you (T-mobile store recently offered to pay my EFT with sprint if I had switched to them). Plus if they are giving you credit that means they do know they suck.
I argued that why sprint is not charging activation fee to new customers (As customer service says that everyone pays activation fee), If I had cancelled my service and came back, how hard is that? So they understood and I didnt have to argue (my call that gave me $195 was only 9 minutes long...lol)

Jimbizzzale

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The activation fee is another way to make more money, sprint isnt making a ton of cash so those of you that gripe and complain about sprints crappy 3G speed you should be happy to pay the fee.

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just filed a complaint with the BBB for this the other day. Said how can they offer me 150 off a phone, only to charge me about 40 for it within the month? I think if enough people file a complaint something might come of this

Reactions: Mercury81

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I also do not like being charged an activation free for the same phone line every time I change phones. If I'm using my same line contract after contract why should Sprint and other mobile phone carriers be allowed to recharge this free of using the done line that was originally activate. This makes no sense at all from consumers perspective.:eek::confused::thumbdown::thumbdown:

sent from my Evo4LTE

Last edited: