Higher resolution contact pictures?

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So on the OG EVO and the 3D you could create a "phone" contact and link it to the "google" contact of the same person to have a very clear contact picture. Does anyone have a trick for the LTE because it appears to be blurring because of dropbox I'm guessing....whatever is causing it sucks because now all my contact pics are a bit blurry. Any ideas?

Thanks

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine all look blurry as well...this happened on CM9 on my last phone as well, so I "THINK" it might be a ICS thing. Another reason I say that is that during the Jellybean announcement, they showed a JB device next to a ICS device, and one of the things they showed off was how the contact pictures were hi-res compared to low-res. Just a haunch though!

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It's a mix of several problems that you are seeing. I'll recap, not just for you, but for someone who finds this through search.

#1 -- Any contacts that are synced with gmail are downsized to 96x96. This can be demonstrated by uploading a nice hi res photo to a google contact, then syncing twice. The first sync will send the contact photo TO your gmail contacts the second will bring back the downsized version to your phone. On anything made after 2008 it looks HORRIBLE. There is a work-around by linking local (phone) contacts which keep the high resolution picture on the phone itself, which leads to...

**Earlier EVOs had either a 250x250 or 200x200 local contact photo allowance. This looked great there, because the screens were much lower resolution.

#2--As of ICS the local contact photo is maxed at 256x256. Though this is an improvement from the 96x96, it still looks pixilated on a 720 res screen. So doing a local contact version improves the situation from HORRIBLE to merely BAD

This has been addressed in Jellybean, where the contact resolution has been bumped up to 720x720. Fortunately, this device is almost guaranteed to get the update (unless HTC wants a small riot), so it's a waiting game...

Hope this helps, if so, let me know via thanks or reply. :)

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list of those that can't stand the low-res contacts pics.

I use HD Contacts in the Play Store, unsync contacts with Google, and use MyBackup Pro to back them up/restore.

That looks interesting; I may give it a spin.

I don't know if its related, but I've found the same issue with album art images when they're blown up in a larger widget (e.g. 4X4 Power Amp). Are they re-sized to lower-res as well? I guess I could go through my library and try to replace them manually, but I'm too lazy :p

anon(280955)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of those that can't stand the low-res contacts pics.

That looks interesting; I may give it a spin.

I don't know if its related, but I've found the same issue with album art images when they're blown up in a larger widget (e.g. 4X4 Power Amp). Are they re-sized to lower-res as well? I guess I could go through my library and try to replace them manually, but I'm too lazy :p

The only thing is you have to assign contact pics, so the initial setup can take a little bit. Now that I'm used to it ... it's a must, for me. Try it on.

I don't notice the same issue with the Power Amp widget and actually one of the reasons I use Power Amp is because the album art looks good without having to update everything like on the stock Music application (which doesn't always seem to stick or find the correct album art, anyway). Are you selecting 'Fit Album Art' on the widget setup?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't notice the same issue with the Power Amp widget and actually one of the reasons I use Power Amp is because the album art looks good without having to update everything like on the stock Music application (which doesn't always seem to stick or find the correct album art, anyway). Are you selecting 'Fit Album Art' on the widget setup?

Yeah I've been selecting fit album art. I just think it's because I have a hodgepodge of thumbs that were originally sized for my old zune in my music folders. I just haven't gone through and updated them all.
Ah, the first world problems of having an HD res phone. :p

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
getit thanks!!!! Exactly what I wanted, also great news to hear this is going to be added in JB. This will make new phones a cinch to setup. I hated the load all the pictures on just to make a phone contact to link to google. Now just put in your google account and done. I think they should skip over 720p though and go straight to 1080p. Why waist the time just to do it again in 1.5-2yrs?