Choice of Stock Android vs. Sense?

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What is the possibility that HTC would give you an option during the initial boot of having Stock Android or Sense?

Could give HTC the boost that it needs in the US market, cause I am sure there are a lot of people that want Stock Android, but don't want to wait for the year long cycle for stock phones.

I was thinking SIII or HTC Evo, and I picked the Evo cause I didn't like touchwiz, but if the SIII gave the option of stock android, then I would have picked that instead.

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
This would be a great move, and definitely will put it next to Nexus in terms of phone of choice.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think the chances are extremely low. But I really like the idea. Stock Android could be ported and tested very quickly compared to all the work they have to pour into Sense, so I don't think it would be a costly thing for them to do. But I am guessing even if they gave such an option, they would not "support" it.

Theoretically, we will have the option by flashing ASOP, but that is not the same as something known to work and with all the drivers ready.

Reactions: propertyevox3

propertyevox3

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Stock android is just fine but you guys have to remember that HTC and sense go together, in addition to that sense is HTC'a product and it's how they always there money, try looking at it like this what if apple did like Google and sent out its iOS software to different manufactures ? Everything would be the same android is all about options, you want a pure Google phone? The Samsung galaxy nexus is on almost every carrier now from what I know

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sense is what is hurting this really great piece of hardware. Stock android + the Evo 4G Lte hardware would be a perfect match. Htc goes way too far in the things they try to do with Sense. A good number of people really like the UI overlay that Sense provides, but I personally could do without all the other things they tinker with.

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Sense is what is hurting this really great piece of hardware. Stock android + the Evo 4G Lte hardware would be a perfect match. Htc goes way too far in the things they try to do with Sense. A good number of people really like the UI overlay that Sense provides, but I personally could do without all the other things they tinker with.

Yup

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Always stock but you could do a lot worse then sense 4.0. HTC has done a pretty darn good job with it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What is the possibility that HTC would give you an option during the initial boot of having Stock Android or Sense?

Could give HTC the boost that it needs in the US market, cause I am sure there are a lot of people that want Stock Android, but don't want to wait for the year long cycle for stock phones.

I was thinking SIII or HTC Evo, and I picked the Evo cause I didn't like touchwiz, but if the SIII gave the option of stock android, then I would have picked that instead.

The only boost would be to the enthusiast community, which numbers in the minority. The regular smartphone buyers don't know what stock Android means and I bet they don't even know what Sense is. They go into the Sprint store looking for an attractive device and might ask about its battery life, camera and texting. They'll play with it for a while, scrolling through the different pages. Might even take a photo or try to place a call. Basic stuff the general masses care about. You ask the first 20 customers that walk into a Sprint store whether they're running TouchWiz, Sense or stock and you'll get at least 18 quizzical looks.
Just look at the advertising for proof. Advertising feeds the public what it wants. Features, design, features, design. The day companies realize that the mass consumer is more interested in RAM, memory, and the like, and make purchasing decisions based on those, then you'll see ads touting those items. But right now, not so much.
HTC would get a boost from deciding to vigorously advertise the Evo4GLTE.

Reactions: TraderGary

zjaksn10

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Debated on trading my GS3 for a Nexus yesterday and putting it on my PTN instead of my EVO. For fear of liking the Nexus better and losing the awesome camera on the EVO I just decided to sell the S3. I want stock android so bad but my phone will not root no matter how perfect I follow step by step directions.

jaykimdotnet

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well considering the first Nexus device was an HTC phone, it wouldn't be the first time vanilla Android was on an HTC device. Sense is getting uglier with each iteration of the Android OS, but save for an executive order from google, it looks like officially, we'll just be enjoying this beautiful display and pretty hardware without seeing Matias Duarte's work on screen. Luckily Cyanogen and Kang are getting close so there's hope there for those resourceful enough to get their flavors of stock on their Evos. Here's to hoping we can be senseless by fall!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
When I said "stock Android" earlier, I suppose I should clarify that it could still look and feel much like an HTC.

All they have to do is to offer all the widgets (Sense's clock, calculator, dialer, sync program, etc), skins, screen backgrounds, icons and such as installed packages, along with the stock Android ones. Let the user decide what they want to use.... mix and match as you see fit.

Just keep out of the kernel, launcher, browser, recently used tasks, messing with runtime settings, etc. This wouldn't have been a good option years ago, but the stock Android experience has improved so much, that a lot of what HTC is customizing just isn't necessary anymore. Now Sense usually isn't better, it is just different and yet slower while consuming precious RAM.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Google could easily remedy this, by stating that manufacturers must allow a choice, if they want google branded apps, but I doubt they will go that far.

Since HTC is having so much apparent trouble in the US market, something like a choice between stock and sense could be the impetus that gives it a much needed boost in the US market.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Google could easily remedy this, by stating that manufacturers must allow a choice, if they want google branded apps, but I doubt they will go that far.

Since HTC is having so much apparent trouble in the US market, something like a choice between stock and sense could be the impetus that gives it a much needed boost in the US market.

HTC isn't even focused on marketing Evo4GLTE in the states. That's the problem. They're focusing on China with an all out marketing campaign.

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
If they did give the option it would help sells everywhere not just the U.S its stupid that they don't especially since sense is whats killing multi tasking.