4G LTE Connection Fix For Sprint Phones (...worked for me at least..........)

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey all...I know there's been a ton of talk about Sprint's LTE service being horrible. It was for me too. For the first 4 days I had my phone I didn't connect to 4g once, and my 3g speeds were worse than dial up. I've done a few things and they've seemed to give me consistent results and have boosted by speeds, both 3g and 4g, immensely. (I'm in Atlanta, by the way, about 45 minutes north of the city, and I work about an hour and a half straight north of Atlanta.)

1. Find your MSL. Download MSL Reader from the Play Store. Run it, and let it do its thing. The last number it gives is your MSL. Mine, for example, is 125392.

2. Open your dialer. Dial ##3282#.

3. Select Edit Mode.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-18.png

4. Enter your MSL number you obtained by using MSL Reader app.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-25.png

5. Click on Advanced.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-35.png

6. Scroll down until you see "RTSP/HTTP Setting" and select it.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-46.png

7. You will see RTSP proxy IP, RTSP proxy port, HTTP proxy IP, and HTTP proxy port. These will be filled with data - write down the values if you wish, if not, no harm done. Editing this will not affect your phone's operation. All this is doing is bypassing Sprint's proxy - essentially we are cutting out the middleman to reduce lag. They're already pushing data the size of a watermelon through a network tube the diameter of a golf ball.....let's improve that.

8. Fill in the values as follows and then hit the back button on your phone twice to go back to the "main" menu.
a) RTSP proxy IP: 0.0.0.0
b) RTSP proxy port: 0
c) HTTP proxy IP: 0.0.0.0
d) HTTP proxy port: 0
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-52.png

9. Now Click on LTE record.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-35.png

10. Click on LTE scan Timer. Change the original value of "30" to "5".
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-26-31.png

11. Hit menu (upper right hand corner of the same screen where you changed 30 to 5.

12. Hit Commit Modifications. Let the phone do its thing. It will say rebooting in 10 seconds or hit "ok" for manual reboot. Either way, just reboot your phone.
Screenshot_2012-10-22-02-32-28.png
Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-25-25.png
------------------------------------Other tips that could help--------

1. Update your PRL. I'm using 25006. There are a few FAQs floating around on how to do that, I'm sure.

2. Try downloading 3G Reconnect from the market. Basically it toggles your data in order to find the best tower off which to work. Worth a shot. I've only been using it a day, and it seems to have improved consistency for me at least.

3. Pray. Hard. Heh heh...

Doesn't seem like having a reliable service should be that complicated, but hey - it is what it is until Sprint completes the roll-out. They were amazing before where I worked in 'cow country' and I'm sure they'll get their stuff in order. I'm not about to jump ship yet. I have faith that in the coming months they'll be just as strong as the other Big Two providers.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-11.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-22-09-24-11.png
    314.4 KB · Views: 231

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see if this works in other markets....meaning, did I get lucky and it actually DID work? Or did Sprint finally finish up work on their towers in ATL, and the'yre beginning to push out some good signals? ..................time will tell........

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've also heard that reducing LTE scan time can eat at your battery. However, it only scans when you're NOT connected to LTE, from what I understand.....and further, I haven't noticed a difference in my battery life. I'm rooted and control my CPU, so any would be battery life issues are compensated for by lowering the CPU speed when the phone is off, less than 20% battery life, etc. etc.

I still haven't figured out WHY this 'hack' works exactly, but after doing this I've been on LTE at least 85% of the time during my twelve hour shift just driving around.....up from maybe 10% prior. It just seems to help the phone stay hooked on LTE longer. I know many people have had problems where the phone goes 4g and then right back into 3g.

Keep an eye on what tower you're connected to. At one point, prior to this little 'hack', my phone was trying to connect to some tower in TN and had zero bars at like a 1,000,000 db (kidding). Why, OH WHY is that happening, and how is it even possible SPRINT?! I was dropping calls wondering WTH was happening and then I looked at my network info and TN showed up. Scanning for LTE more frequently will hook you to the closest tower to you I suppose.

Who knows. Works for me. Best I got at this point!

willnotstop

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My phone has had no problem and then Friday I couldn't call or txt I had no service for a couple days satursday night the phone worked randomly and then around 3 in the morning it stopped working i'm not sure what to do I have factory reset the phone 3 times and the phone has no real time damage. I can't get a store cause i'm a hour away from the store and i'm busy with college. Any ideas please I wanna be able to have a phone not just a walking tablet

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sure thing....try what I posted above first. That may or may not work for you. Try downloading a network booster app. There are a few out there. I ran one and it boosted my signal about 6db (supposedly).
What market are you in? It may just be that the towers aren't ready yet, unfortunately. My phone is still hit or miss, but it's MUCH better than it was...tolerable now. So give that a try.

Also, you can try just running off the CDMA network, versus CDMA+LTE. That may improve things, but you'll have no 4g with that setting.

willnotstop

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
its says i need to root my phone how do i do that. i don't think its a tower thing cause other people phone work i think my phone is acting dumb and isn't searching for the tower

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Is the LTE scan timer seconds or minutes?
I have not changed mine but i went to lunch in an area that i know for sure has LTE. I had to put my phone in airplane mode then back to normal for LTE to work.
I have not made the changes but if its minutes that makes sense as i was there long enough to park my truck, wait in line for my food and get half way done before i realized i was on 3G still.
And FYI, i have been using a GS3 and eat there several times a week and every time i have been there my GS3 is on 4G. So seems the GS3 does make the switch faster.
If the timer is in seconds i dont want to mess with it but if its in minutes going from 30 to 5 to me makes sense.. But i wanted to see if anybody knew for sure..
thanks

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay - Work has been keeping me insanely busy. Rooting did not mess up my phone....but it CAN if you do something stupid while its in the process of rooting (ie unlugging it.) I used Panda to root and decided to go with s-off. It works like a champ. I then installed TWRP and flashed MeanRomICS. There are threads all over these boards to do it. Start to finish it shouldn't take you more than an hour, having never done it.

The LTE timer, from my understanding, is in minutes. There is also a weird issue with the HTC 4g LTE where cycling through Airplane mode (turn it on, then turn it off manually) will give you 4g. Meaning your phone didn't recognize there was 4g around you even though there was. The Evo LTE has a pretty high threshold and seems to have an issue finding the signal.

Jarnld

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
@USGUYVER

Let me know if you need a walkthrough or assistance. It can be confusing the first time you do it, but once you've done it once and grasp the concepts you'll never NOT root a phone again. It gets addicting ;)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to us.
Changing my timer to 10 from 30 now that i know its in minutes..
But probably going back to my GS3 in a few days now that its got JB.
Looking forward to the EVO LTE getting JB..

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did this and it seems like there might be a slight improvement, it seems like I have NO data more often, or it'll be off when I turn the screen on, but after a few seconds it comes back on. Is there anyway to go back to default if I decide to? Like an idiot, I didn't write down what it was before.

Thanks.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here you go Husker Z

RTSP Proxy ID
rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port
HTTP Proxy IP
pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
@USGUYVER

Let me know if you need a walkthrough or assistance. It can be confusing the first time you do it, but once you've done it once and grasp the concepts you'll never NOT root a phone again. It gets addicting ;)

I was more wandering about the timer I changed it to 15 but now I'm thinking og changing it to 5. How has your battery been since you did change the timer

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance