Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

I saw a commercial last night for the new LG Optimus phone. They specifically mention that it's running Andriod Jelly Bean and because of that it supports running two apps on one screen.

Since companies are starting to use the code name for the given version of Android, Google should step in and make manufacturers be more transparent about upgrade intentions.

General consumers will soon become aware of what capabilities are available with different versions of Android. Before it was just assumed that the newest version was obviously better, but your average Joe had no idea what was available phone to phone. It's not false advertising just yet, but just throwing out "Android" isn't good enough any more. The manufacturers are allowed to be wishy-washy and say "It's still being reviewed" while giving customers false hope that if they buy this phone with the latest hardware, why wouldn't you get the latest OS? When in reality it seems to be a crapshoot unless they tell you outright.

It would be one thing if a cell phone was something you could just go out and buy whenever you wanted. But they know that with the contract-based system in the US it isn't feasible for most to go buy a different phone if you get hosed out of getting the latest version of Android.

Just doesn't seem to fit the way Google has done business. I know they're not the manufacturer, but these phones are nothing without Google. It seems manufacturers are sitting back to see how successful a given phone is before committing towards upgrading to the latest OS. Should you be guaranteed an upgrade if the hardware supports it? No, that can still be a business decision. But manufacturers should have to make a decision much sooner. The Evo LTE has been out for almost seven months (customs hold notwithstanding), they should have given a statement by now as to whether they will be upgrading it to Jelly Bean.

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

If they were capable of that, their profits wouldn't be down.

They were using the excuse of having too many different phones, which they've largely resolved. Even with (I'm estimating) a third of the number of different models compared to last year, they still can't get out timely updates?

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

And a CS in store tech also said to do a battery pull on the EVO LTE....

Their words mean zip without screenshot of the computer screen bulletin release saying such.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site

You mean kinda like the ones that started the wildfire of us thinking we were getting JB in November ;)

It's not unrealistic to expect. The phone is near identical to the ONE X which got the update a few weeks ago.

It really seams to be based more on a phones popularity rather than if the hardware can handle it, that determines if a phone will recieve an update.

I alway got the impression with the OG EVO that manufactures intentionally hold back updates and then releases them when the community starts to turn to other solutions (like rooting and running custom Roms) to protect their sales and the carriers. It seemed to be the case with the last update for the EVO LTE as well. The community seems to be having a much harder time rooting the phone since the last update which also broke stuff for a number of users. They don't seem to care much because there isn't a whole lot consumers can do. I'm sure if things where different Sprint would have been down HTC's neck to have had the update out already.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

scratchfwb

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Well i just had an auto Service update of some sort. I've never seen that before. Looked at my phone and "service update complete" was on the screen

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

FWIW, I just got some independent confirmation that an update's well under way. Sounds like it's pretty close -- but I do not have a date or anything.

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, I just got some independent confirmation that an update's well under way. Sounds like it's pretty close -- but I do not have a date or anything.

How trustworthy is this source? There have been several so far. I'm sure yours is probably the most credible, but we're all a little under the weather as far as this update is concerned.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

From your lips to Dan Hesse's.

BTW, your independent confirmation wasn't @sprintcares on Twitter like the article on your competitor's site was it?

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Ty Phil so many people are dying in this forum for information.

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

How trustworthy is this source? There have been several so far. I'm sure yours is probably the most credible, but we're all a little under the weather as far as this update is concerned.

He prefaced it with FWIW. He's just trying to be helpful and he took the time to come to our forum and post it. Cut him some slack.

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

He prefaced it with FWIW. He's just trying to be helpful and he took the time to come to our forum and post it. Cut him some slack.

I'm not questioning his credibility. I'm simply asking if this would be someone that has updated him before with information that was true.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

The fact that Phil took the time to come into the forum and let us know that his source told him that the update is on its way should stop some of the outrage. We know Phil's contact is credible or Phil would not have come here to post his information. So lets calm down. BTW Thanks Phil.

Ice

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

The fact that Phil took the time to come into the forum and let us know that his source told him that the update is on its way should stop some of the outrage. We know Phil's contact is credible or Phil would not have come here to post his information. So lets calm down. BTW Thanks Phil.

Ice

Thanks for checking in with us Phil

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Kpobrien89

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

No offense, but why would sprint need to tell an authorized retailer what their update plans are?

None taken. We are called a "preferred retailer". We have access to all Sprint systems as well as the playbook and any other information.

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site

don't question Phil, I asked him if he could make the play store links for app reviews be in https so I could see them at work without having to add it myself. within the hour it was done.. hes got magic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699