Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Default Re: Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLibations View Post
    I'm not seeing any Rescue app either. I did get stuck with Google Play Magazines though. I'd rather have Rescue.. whatever it is.

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by riccowboy View Post
    I did not get this rescue app in my update. Did anyone else not receive the rescue app?
    It does not appear on my usable apps list either, however, it is on my father's phone that I just updated. This is an app by LogMeIn, that allows remote support from tech support. There was a warning on the app that said not to click a button unless directed to by support.

You can view the app under the "All Apps" tab when you go into Settings. I cannot figure out a way to get it into my usable apps list. I was thinking about doing a Factory Reset, but I can't figure that out. It doesn't seem to be located in the same place since this upgrade.

I did notice there is a News and Weather App available. It pulls up Google News and Weather.

Here are two pictures of what I'm talking about:

Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here-2012-12-14_19-11-17.png Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here-2012-12-14_19-11-38.png
    Last edited by genescuff; 12-14-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by genescuff View Post
    It does not appear on my usable apps list either, however, it is on my father's phone that I just updated. This is an app by LogMeIn, that allows remote support from tech support. There was a warning on the app that said not to click a button unless directed to by support.

You can view the app under the "All Apps" tab when you go into Settings. I cannot figure out a way to get it into my usable apps list. I was thinking about doing a Factory Reset, but I can't figure that out. It doesn't seem to be located in the same place since this upgrade.

I did notice there is a News and Weather App available. It pulls up Google News and Weather.

Here are two pictures of what I'm talking about:
    Interesting. Maybe it's regional?

Last edited by TonyLibations; 12-14-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    Tony Anderson
    Jacksonville, FL
    @TonyLibations <---For the Twitterin'

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLibations View Post
    Interesting. Maybe it's regional?

I doubt it. My dad has it and I don't. We live in the same town. My phone was a preorder, and his I ordered a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it could that small update that fixed the contact ringers but was pulled. That's really the only difference between our phones. I applied that update, and he didn't.

EDIT: I found another app on my dad's list of usable apps, Polaris Office. This is not on my phone however.
    Last edited by genescuff; 12-14-2012 at 09:42 PM.

I doubt it. My dad has it and I don't.
    Lol. Oh, duh!
    Tony Anderson
    Jacksonville, FL
    @TonyLibations <---For the Twitterin'

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

you can change the color of message bubbles in texting and also the background or add a custom picture for your background

just click menu in message and then personalize

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

Rescue doesn't show up in my list of apps either, but open Google sear h and type Rescue, it will show up (so will Polaris Office).

One app that was removed was Mirror.
    Thanked by 2:

Just tried this and it works. I couldn't care less about the Rescue app shortcut not being available, but Polaris Office comes in handy, too bad I have to search for it to use it....first world problems, I know.
    TonyLibations likes this.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts

Just tried this and it works. I couldn't care less about the Rescue app shortcut not being available, but Polaris Office comes in handy, too bad I have to search for it to use it....first world problems, I know.
    You can't even "use" it when you search for it. It appears HTC just licensed it as a type of "viewer"/"opener" of documents, not as a composer of them. You can use shortcutmaker to create an icon to launch it, but it just says the file is not supported.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

I got rescue, Polaris office, mirror, and play magazine

but I reinstalled NOVA launcher because
    my scrolling wallpaper stopped working
    and was the only way to fix it and these apps showed up after reinstalling it

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here-uploadfromtaptalk1355544984840.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    You can't even "use" it when you search for it. It appears HTC just licensed it as a type of "viewer"/"opener" of documents, not as a composer of them. You can use shortcutmaker to create an icon to launch it, but it just says the file is not supported.
    You can't create a new document with it, at least I can't/don't know how, but you are able to edit documents (MS Office) with it. It's a lot like DocumentsToGo on my old Palm Centro, minus the ability to create a document.

EDIT: After you mentioned creating a shortcut, I looked into it, and found an app on Google Play called "Smart Shortcuts". It works really well from playing around with it for a few minutes. It scans the phone and lists all of the apps on it. Rescue, and Polaris Office show up and are launch-able. It even lists the app Mirror that another user on the forum said was removed with the Jellybean Update.
    Last edited by genescuff; 12-14-2012 at 11:37 PM.

its all else fails factory reset. My wifi stopped couldntconnect and my service was horrible in my home. I reset it worked perfect and my single got up to 4g

Camera shutter sound. Anyone know how to turn this off? Really bothers the heck out of me.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    "Paint to live. Live to paint."
    secretmethod70 likes this.

Proximity, and some design issues aside...I LOVE that I can take apps notifications out of the status bar. It was always so darned cluttered.
    Thanked by:

I am sure I am overlooking the obvious here, but how do you add a smilie to a text message now?
    I used to add them from the menu button, but that option appears to be gone now.

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

The new themes are pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
    I am sure I am overlooking the obvious here, but how do you add a smilie to a text message now?
    I used to add them from the menu button, but that option appears to be gone now.
    Long press the smiley face on the lower left side of your keyboard.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sorniel M Davila View Post
    Secondly, Google Now is awesome but it does not appear as a stock Jelly Bean update. This version is very blah and not useful. I want Google Now to be integrated with Sense 4+.
    What's the difference between Google Now on stock Android and Google Now on the EVO LTE with Jelly Bean?

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    Proximity, and some design issues aside...I LOVE that I can take apps notifications out of the status bar. It was always so darned cluttered.
    WHOA, that setting for the status bar is wonderful!

EDIT: Scratch that. I thought it would allow me to hide an app's persistent notification while maintaining the benefit of it staying in memory. That seems not to be the case... hoping it's just a glitch.

ROM
    MeanROM ICS v6.5

is it just me or you can't view pictures in landscape mode in the gallery?

Edit- well I feel like a fool, I had "Auto rotate screen" unchecked lol
    Last edited by The Urban Legend; 12-15-2012 at 05:28 AM.

I performed a factory reset after updating, just for good measure. Now that I'm getting around to disabling apps I don't use, I've discovered that the FM Radio app can no longer be disabled like I was able to do in ICS. Kinda bummed about that. It's not really an issue as far as performance, but I like to get rid of icon clutter when I can.

EDIT: Looks like Friend Stream, Mail, Sprint Hotspot, Stocks, Tasks, and some others can't be disabled anymore either. Disabling them never caused me any problems in the past. It's not going to make me dislike the update, but it's definitely disappointing not to be able to control what runs on my phone like I used to be able.

EDIT2: AH! But there's an option to hide apps in the app drawer menu now. At least I can still keep them all from cluttering my screen.
    Last edited by secretmethod70; 12-15-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Thanked by:
    crxssi 
    crxssi and deviantartjr like this.

Whatever you do, do not go into developer options and select protect sd card. I just learned the hard way as my apps were all acting buggy after selecting it. Took about 6 hours to figure that was what I did wrong. All is well now! Just sayin...:beer:

sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk2
    Thanked by:
    crxssi and deviantartjr like this.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by secretmethod70 View Post
    I performed a factory reset after updating, just for good measure. Now that I'm getting around to disabling apps I don't use, I've discovered that the FM Radio app can no longer be disabled like I was able to do in ICS. Kinda bummed about that. It's not really an issue as far as performance, but I like to get rid of icon clutter when I can.

EDIT: Looks like Friend Stream, Mail, Sprint Hotspot, Stocks, Tasks, and some others can't be disabled anymore either. Disabling them never caused me any problems in the past. It's not going to make me dislike the update, but it's definitely disappointing not to be able to control what runs on my phone like I used to be able.

EDIT2: AH! But there's an option to hide apps in the app drawer menu now. At least I can still keep them all from cluttering my screen.
    Yeah, but it really sucks that suddenly there are all these apps we can't disable. Before I think it was just a few, including Sprint Zone that were non-disableable.

I WAS able to disable Friend Stream, [EDIT: and Stocks, and Mail] so not sure why you can't. I also discovered that you can now disable apps even when they have updates installed. Before you used to have to remove updates before you could disable something (which was irritating).

Add to your list of those not allowed to be disabled- Flickr for HTC Sense.

But thanks for the "hide" tip! I didn't even know it was an option!
    Last edited by crxssi; 12-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Yes HTC upping the apps we couldn't disable was definitely my first peeve about this update but it's nice that they added the option to hide all their bloat from us. I just hope none of these apps start running in the background.

Put your device on silent?

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asterather View Post
    Is that a request or something? Personally, I have my device on silent when I am at work and not otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by taniapomales View Post
    Camera shutter sound. Anyone know how to turn this off? Really bothers the heck out of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Is that a request or something? Personally, I have my device on silent when I am at work and not otherwise.
    Sorry. Forgot to quote. See above.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast