Can't get out of HBOOT mode

cdmiller1983

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just tried to root my EVO 4G. I followed all the steps on evolution.io and worked. Thought I was cruising then I reset my phone to factory settings and then went to the HBOOT screen...where it says S-OFF. I can't understand why I can't get out of this thing and get my functional phone back. I tried recovery, clearing cache, delvik cahce (or whatever that is), I tried a factory settings, I've tried rebooting, I've tried a battery pull for 10 minutes, I've tried everything I can think of. But of course I know nothing about this stuff so I'm not really sure why I tried rooting my phone in the first place. Someone please help me get out of this white screen HBOOT and recovery crap. I really need it!!!!!!!!!!!!

PalmFanat1c

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me on my hero. What you need to do is google around for a XXXRECIMG for the evo it should be a .ZIP file that is between 110-120 MB and let the bootloader flash it then the bootloader should go back to being S-ON. Then after that go into recovery and try and get the recovery menu to pull up. I dont know how to get it to pull up on the EVO so just mash some buttons and it will come up and then hit Reboot system and you should be back at stock giving you another chance at Root.

Also when you flash the RECIMG it should go back to full stock all the way down to the Recovery

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me on my hero. What you need to do is google around for a XXXRECIMG for the evo it should be a .ZIP file that is between 110-120 MB and let the bootloader flash it then the bootloader should go back to being S-ON. Then after that go into recovery and try and get the recovery menu to pull up. I dont know how to get it to pull up on the EVO so just mash some buttons and it will come up and then hit Reboot system and you should be back at stock giving you another chance at Root.

Also when you flash the RECIMG it should go back to full stock all the way down to the Recovery

Do not listen to this guy. If you can boot into recovery, flash a new rom. You do not want s-on which defeats the point of rooting and you will lose your custom recovery. If you can't get into a custom recovery, download clockworkmod, RA, or twrp and rename to PC36IMG.zip and place on root of SD card. Boot into hboot and the phone will automatically search for the file. Once found it will ask you if you want to update. Hit vol up to install and once done hit vol down yo choose the option not to reset device. Now go try to boot into recovery and flash a rom.

Notes :
You will have to pull the SD card out to put the files on it. If you don't have a rom on there, make sure to out one on there when you download, transfer, and rename the recovery zip.

The recovery zip renamed PC36IMG.zip has to be on the root of the SD card (in no folders)

The rom doesn't have to be in a certain space. As long ad you know where it is and can navigate to it.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message Via HTC Evo 4g

yeshwa

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Simple..Its reverse process..First hold volume down button then power button for some seconds.. you will get you get back your functional phone again !!!!1