Can't boot into recovery

jimdunk

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I just unlocked with the HTCDev method and when I try to reach recovery it freezes on the red triangle screen. I have to remove the battery to reboot. When I try to flash ClockworkMod I get an error " An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" I've tried fix permissions, and flash alternate recovery with the same result. The phone is usable but I cant flash anything.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
you need to install a custom recovery first, you do that with fastboot. copy the recovery image into the same folder as fastboot and rename it to recovery.img. enter the bootloader with your phone connected to your pc
when in the bootloader use your volume to scroll and choose fastboot then hit power button. you should have fastboot usb highlighted at the top of the the list. now in your command window type;

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then type fastboot boot recovery

you should be good to go

Reactions: jimdunk

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you need to install a custom recovery first, you do that with fastboot. copy the recovery image into the same folder as fastboot and rename it to recovery.img. enter the bootloader with your phone connected to your pc
when in the bootloader use your volume to scroll and choose fastboot then hit power button. you should have fastboot usb highlighted at the top of the the list. now in your command window type;

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then type fastboot boot recovery

you should be good to go

That's the long way of doing it man.

Fond your choice of custom recovery you want. RA, CWM, or TWRP. Make sure you stay away from TWRP 2.0 as last I seen it had lots of bugs and bricked a few devices.

Once downloaded, rename zip file to PC36IMG.zip. make sure you don't name it PC36IMG.zip.zip on accident.

Place this file on the root of your SD card. (Root meaning in no folders)

Boot into fast boot and your phone will automatically search for the PC36IMG.zip file. Once it loads up, it will ask you to update. Volume up for yes, volume down for no.

Hit volume up to install update and it will flash your custom recovery.

Once update finishes hit volume down to decline a restart.

Volume down to recovery and select it with power button.

Boots into the custom recovery.

Make a nandroid backup first thing before you do anything to your phone.

Remember not to flash anything with at least 40% of battery life and nandroids only work on the recovery it was made on. Ie CWM backups will not restore through RA recovery.

Sent from my Eclipsed Droid RAZR via Tapatalk II

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
benny3,
Thanks for the quick reply. Please excuse my stupidity but where do I find a custom recovery image?
Use the attached file and put it on the root of the SD card as per dumpedduce's instructions above (you won't have to rename the file - I've already done that for you).

This is RA-supersonic-v2.3 - HAUS MOD rev.A, which is the best, tried and true recovery for the EVO 4G. Both CWM and TWRP are inconsistent when wiping, and can cause issues with partitioned SD cards.

jimdunk

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied, I'm finally up and running with new rom without bloatware (no more low memory messages) . It's amazing how well all this works when people like me actually read and follow directions. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress