Cyanogen is playing tonight! :)

John Kotches

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Boiling down Cyanogen's point of view, if it isnt open source it doesn't go in the ROM.

From a legal point of view its smart. Open is usually free to use and distribute as long as you keep code attributions in place.

HTC has not open source, It's proprietary. Until It's open sourced it ain't going in

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i wish this had sense. i need sense before i make the switch.

Sense is closed source. He can't "legally" distribute it. They (cyanogen) had a run in with Google not too long ago about the distribution of closed source apps in their ROM's. Google states that although Android is open source, the Google stuff built into Android is closed source and he didn't have rights to profit off its distribution or some crap. Google it, it was a big story at the time.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does no sense mean wiimote works?

Sense is HTC's ui overlay for Android. It's the stuff you see when you use your phone. Cyanogen is not including that, and is using plain old vanilla Android.

Sense:
htc-sense.jpg

Vanilla:
Android-2.2.png

The Wiimote works because Cyanogen is awesome.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I want to put this on my phone, can anyone just point me to a direction with where I might be able to find like a 1 stop shop for how to root etc?

I did the OTA update and I have an epson screen 003 build. I have the basic jist of it, you root and nand, titanium backup your stuff, put on your rom and BAM. But as easy as that sounds, I am sure there is a lot more to it and if you ignore anything you can be seriously screwed.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What would be the benefit of using this particular ROM over waiting for the official Sprint/HTC Froyo rom?

And how hard would it be to go back to the stock ROM if I wanted to?

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
I want to put this on my phone, can anyone just point me to a direction with where I might be able to find like a 1 stop shop for how to root etc?

I did the OTA update and I have an epson screen 003 build. I have the basic jist of it, you root and nand, titanium backup your stuff, put on your rom and BAM. But as easy as that sounds, I am sure there is a lot more to it and if you ignore anything you can be seriously screwed.

[Program] SimpleRoot .1 ---- 3 Click Root w/ nand unlock!! - xda-developers

What would be the benefit of using this particular ROM over waiting for the official Sprint/HTC Froyo rom?

[REQ][HOW TO] Relock or Unroot EVO - xda-developers

Saturn2K

May 24, 2010
Visit site

This rom won't have Sense in it. It's completely stock Android AOSP, so it will be fast, efficient, and is widely supported by the community.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This rom won't have Sense in it. It's completely stock Android AOSP, so it will be fast, efficient, and is widely supported by the community.

I think I read somewhere that cyanogen is trying to remove the 30 FPS cap. Is this true? If so that almost makes it worth it all by itself.

Does stock Android have the social network integration like Sense does? Like with the Facebook contacts integrating into my contacts list.

I know I can replace the widgets with beautiful widgets and other options, but I really like my contacts all being in one place.

The EVO is my first Android phone and I haven't rooted yet, so please forgive all the n00b questions. :p

Saturn2K

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that cyanogen is trying to remove the 30 FPS cap. Is this true? If so that almost makes it worth it all by itself.

Does stock Android have the social network integration like Sense does? Like with the Facebook contacts integrating into my contacts list.

I know I can replace the widgets with beautiful widgets and other options, but I really like my contacts all being in one place.

The EVO is my first Android phone and I haven't rooted yet, so please forgive all the n00b questions. :p
I'm not sure, I have never used AOSP contacts. I imagine it does all of this because I've seen people migrate back to using it instead of Sense's address book. If it doesn't, there are third party alternatives such as Phonebook 2.0, Address Book, and Gist, to name a few.

supanatuwral

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sense is HTC's ui overlay for Android. It's the stuff you see when you use your phone. Cyanogen is not including that, and is using plain old vanilla Android.

The Wiimote works because Cyanogen is awesome.

Yea, I got the whole sense vs vanilla thing. I am just wondering if removing it his way will fix our whole blue-tooth stack problem. This isn't the first non-sense ROM is it? Why can't we use the Wiimote on any other ROMs that don't have sense? I know there is a lot involved in that question and I am probably not asking it right, but I get the main points.... Of course Cyanogen rocks! That's why we have been drooling for this release.

BTW......"non-sense"......can I trademark that? I mean if apple invented touchscreen and apps, why can't I have non-sense? We can call it the Non-Sense UI.......It will fix all of our blue-tooth's......:p

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I got the whole sense vs vanilla thing. I am just wondering if removing it his way will fix our whole blue-tooth stack problem. This isn't the first non-sense ROM is it? Why can't we use the Wiimote on any other ROMs that don't have sense? I know there is a lot involved in that question and I am probably not asking it right, but I get the main points.... Of course Cyanogen rocks! That's why we have been drooling for this release.

BTW......"non-sense"......can I trademark that? I mean if apple invented touchscreen and apps, why can't I have non-sense? We can call it the Non-Sense UI.......It will fix all of our blue-tooth's......:p

Cyanogen wrote his own HID bluetooth Stack if I am not mistaken, or more correctly, modded the existing one. Other devs just didn't put it in.

tacomaster

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I've been reading a lot on rooting and have decided to do so. My question is though should I just wait for this ROM to come out? If not then which ROM would u recommend. I would like to have full.use of my camera and 4G and get better battery life. Thanks in advanced

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I've been reading a lot on rooting and have decided to do so. My question is though should I just wait for this ROM to come out? If not then which ROM would u recommend. I would like to have full.use of my camera and 4G and get better battery life. Thanks in advanced

Update and use unrevoked 3...you'll be like you are now but rooted until this comes out. In the future try not to hi jack threads...there are other threads concerning your question.