Anyone Else Scared To Root?

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So I have an HTC EVO (obviously) with the latest HTC update and want to try rooting my phone.

Everytime I devote the time to do it, I end up getting lost in all the different posts and threads and different ROMs out there. What Im looking for is to have my phone, with the Stock ROM, rooted. Just so I can see what it entails.

I'll be honest, once I start researching, I get freaking paranoid and confused about all these things that I need to do and end up just backing out.

Anyone else share my same thoughts/fears?

jaytank

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Count me in for this

I will be very honest here - after the update Battery life has improved for me quite a bit (almost 22 hrs with moderate usage) and I see Froyo coming soon - so at this point I am not looking to ROOT - unless there is a significant advantage which I am unaware of

Kasracer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I want to root is to remove a bunch of the applications that came on the device but everything seems to complicated and I don't want to restore my phone or anything; I just want to delete those apps.

Oh well I can live with them.

snake411

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
U can use unrevoked 3 for an easy root. As far as removing the apps, thats not going to be as easy.

*This was posted from my Evo 4G using Tapatalkpro! Great app, if you want to browse and post through many dfferent forums*

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys, rooting isnt that scary. You may have a few minor issues the first time you try to root, but after that the possibilities are endless.

I would recommend using simple root, or enrevoked , as these take care of all coding for you. However, it is good to be overly cautious. Make sure you read each step, and follow the videos if there are any.

Also make sure you are using the right version. If you installed the ota, you would need unrevoked 3 or simpleroot 2. And if you havent, simple root 1 will work just fine.

Also if you haven't installed the ota, you can use the unrevoked app to play around with superuser permissions.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think about doing it too, but pushed away by too many methods and no backup phone in case something goes south.

I have no good reason to root other then getting rid of bloatware and speeding things up maybe.
The stuff I use most doesnt work well or at all in the roms anyway so that pushes me futher.

Wireless/4g tethering or whatever its called would be nice for free too, but honestly I dont use it now. If it was free I could prob find a reason though.

With Froyo coming, I will see what that does for the phone before I dip into rooting

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think about doing it too, but pushed away by too many methods and no backup phone in case something goes south.

I have no good reason to root other then getting rid of bloatware and speeding things up maybe.
The stuff I use most doesnt work well or at all in the roms anyway so that pushes me futher.

Wireless/4g tethering or whatever its called would be nice for free too, but honestly I dont use it now. If it was free I could prob find a reason though.

With Froyo coming, I will see what that does for the phone before I dip into rooting

You can run the RUU at any time to return to stock.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was going to use SimpleRoot2 but read that I should not put my trust in other people's coding to do something like this. I should do the actual root myself so I can see what has happened and/or what is happening to understand it. Hell, I can't even understand it when I have not even rooted yet.

So, let me get this straight. I can root my phone and not install any custom ROMs right? I just want to remove all the crap that I don't need/want on my phone. Rooting does not remove any other functionality that I currently have (with the stock ROM)?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was going to use SimpleRoot2 but read that I should not put my trust in other people's coding to do something like this. I should do the actual root myself so I can see what has happened and/or what is happening to understand it. Hell, I can't even understand it when I have not even rooted yet.

So, let me get this straight. I can root my phone and not install any custom ROMs right? I just want to remove all the crap that I don't need/want on my phone. Rooting does not remove any other functionality that I currently have (with the stock ROM)?

correct sir

diplomat2387

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I am scared as well...I rooted my Hero with Flipz Kitchen and auto root..But even when I did that I had someone walking me through it over GTalk..The Evo seems a little bit more complicated bc it seems like people are having problems on different steps with the Simple Root method..I want to root my phone bad though..

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Call me a purist but i personally wish all these "3 click roots" and blah blah blah's didn't exist. You learn a lot about the architecture of the Android OS while playing around in ADB and it makes sure you have at least a basic understanding of how things are behind the scenes.

I hope this isn't misinterpreted as me being mean but anyone who participates in these forums can quickly recognize theres at least 4 different ways to root (and more if you consider the combinations). Many people have many problems and then us guys trying to help out have to try and figure out what went wrong with the 100 possible combinations of how you rooted. When you consider theres 4 root methods some of which only root while other root and unlock NAND, 3 RUU's, 2 sets of radios, windows/mac .... well you can see where i'm going.

It's frustrating to say the least and not because of all you guys that are trying to root but because of how much useless knowledge we need to retain because theres sooooo many different combinations and stuff.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
KSmithInNY,

I agree, i rooted the old fashion way. Had some help from ruffles and beezy, and chugged through it. But many people don't have the time or the technical expertise to pound through a list of adb commands. But i don't feel they should have to stick with a stock experience. Because of that i cant fairly suggest they should follow the guide over at XDA on how to root with the new OTA with the flash exploit. It is frustrating and does discourage people from exploring the limits of their devices.

Even before the 3 step methods, there were atleast 2 ways to root using your pc, plus a temp root unrevoked, plus the rooting on a mac commands.

I agree with you that chugging though adb is the best way to get a feel and appreciate all of the hard work that goes into the other "easy methods".

Any one considering rooting needs to:

1. Read the FAQ
2. Read the Rooting on Windows (Even though it doesn't work), and re-read the FAQ
3. Pick one of the rooting methods that you are most comfortable with, or think you understand the best.
4. Make sure you follow each step of that method down to a T.
5. Be prepared to have to start over. S*%t happens, its not a big deal. Try again, and the second time, you'll know more than the first.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just to give you some history.. I was afraid myself until SimpleRoot came out.

Once there is enough support and people to answer fixes when things go wrong then I feel comfortable.

I Started out with Custom Firmware on a PSP, then went into Flashing GBA Carts, NDS carts, Then entering codes and enabling Bluetooth Data through my Instinct.. to Rooting my pre and using preware to now rooting my android.

Just remember.. FOLLOW EVERYTHING EXACTLY.

I didnt take the OTA update.. So when i rooted I used the version for the OTA update.. I didnt pay attention, so when i got to step 4 the phone wouldnt reboot and I was pissed.. So i installed the OTA went back redid it again and it worked flawlessly.. I had my phone synced to the video of the guy doing it over on XTA.

You just have to trust these people. 99% of us are here to support each other, granted its fun to troll or call out a dumb post once in a while, we are a community and we are all out to get what we want from our devices instead of waiting for the Big Guys ( google, HTC, Sprint) to do it for us. We have devs that eat sleep and piss this stuff, its in their blood.. To be honest many sprint employees read this stuff, read the forums, and use the mods and hacks our devs here and at xda do to implement into new patches and for newer handsets. Some of them even get hired =)

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I did the the ADB way. I felt like I had a better understanding of what is going on when I did that. It was also very satisfying.

I just learned about ADB (or I am just learning). I'm in and out of Linux all the time and I always try to learn how to use the terminal for whatever I can. If ADB is a terminal/telnet thing like I'm suspecting it is, I'll be rooting that way tonight! I'm excited!

damnitryon

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Just to give you some history.. I was afraid myself until SimpleRoot came out.

Once there is enough support and people to answer fixes when things go wrong then I feel comfortable.

I Started out with Custom Firmware on a PSP, then went into Flashing GBA Carts, NDS carts, Then entering codes and enabling Bluetooth Data through my Instinct.. to Rooting my pre and using preware to now rooting my android.

Just remember.. FOLLOW EVERYTHING EXACTLY.

I didnt take the OTA update.. So when i rooted I used the version for the OTA update.. I didnt pay attention, so when i got to step 4 the phone wouldnt reboot and I was pissed.. So i installed the OTA went back redid it again and it worked flawlessly.. I had my phone synced to the video of the guy doing it over on XTA.

You just have to trust these people. 99% of us are here to support each other, granted its fun to troll or call out a dumb post once in a while, we are a community and we are all out to get what we want from our devices instead of waiting for the Big Guys ( google, HTC, Sprint) to do it for us. We have devs that eat sleep and piss this stuff, its in their blood.. To be honest many sprint employees read this stuff, read the forums, and use the mods and hacks our devs here and at xda do to implement into new patches and for newer handsets. Some of them even get hired =)

I got started the same way a couple of years ago with PSP's as well. Then about 3 months ago I dug up my old HTC Vogue/VX6900 and tried putting android on it, for the most part it was a success while I was launching android from Harret, however once I made the plunge into removing WinMo, things got difficult once I installed android (some revision of Warm Donut ROM) and I constantly had troubles with the thing taking ~10 minutes just to get out of the boot animation.

So, I have more experience with ROMs, and Firmware than most people, however when it came to rooting my Evo yesterday, it was a nightmare. I'm comfortable in terminal/command prompt, however it seemed like at every turn it was a new error. First when I tried

Code:
(Mac)
./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

then after this decided maybe it's my Mac, so I walked to the PC desktop I have and tried to do the same operation (not the same exact command, obviously) to no avail.

it would return me a "Permission Denied" error, even though I was in Disk Mode, with debug enabled, and finally I was able to resolve the issue by changing the USB Connection mode to Charge Only, which seems stupid, but whatever, it worked. After this I finally went into the bootloader to begin rooting, and again, more problems. It returned a message something along the lines of "Main version is older". At that point I just said screw it, and downloaded unrEVOked3, because I was sick of racking my brain and searching just to find answers, and just wanted to get it overwith. I think I spent a good 3 hours before just giving up and going with unrevoked3.

However, I do still have a few questions about where I go from here, if anyone can shed some light, I would really appreciate it;

Everyone recommends titanium backup, and I'm for the most part unfamiliar with it, and admittedly haven't looked into it too much. What does it backup? Will it allow me to retain my text messages from ROM to ROM?

I don't mind sense, I've actually come to like it as I hate WinMo with a passion, and the last phone I used for an extended period of time was an old Centro. I was actually hesitant to use Sense because I've had TouchFlo in the past and thought it was horrible. However, I've fallen in love with the matching Twitter, FriendStream/Facebook, and Calendar widgets, are there any comparable sets of widgets? Or is there any way to remove the widgets and transfer them into another ROM, (Is there corresponding APK's?)

Oh, and what ROM's are worth downloading? Am I falsely assuming that there are a number of just plain crap ROMs?

Sorry for the long winded post... heh.

Last edited: