My rooting scenario (question)

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have done the Unrevoked 3 root on my EVO. I would now like to do a full root so I can try the cyanogen roms. My questions are.

1. Do I need to unroot what Unrevoked 3 has done first somehow? If so, how? Or can I just perform a full root over top of it?

2. What method should I use to make sure I backup my apps, pictures, videos, etc so I don't lose personal stuff?

3. Preferred method to do a full root these days? Simple root method?

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have done the Unrevoked 3 root on my EVO. I would now like to do a full root so I can try the cyanogen roms. My questions are.

1. Do I need to unroot what Unrevoked 3 has done first somehow? If so, how? Or can I just perform a full root over top of it?

2. What method should I use to make sure I backup my apps, pictures, videos, etc so I don't lose personal stuff?

3. Preferred method to do a full root these days? Simple root method?

A: 1. I believe so. I've never used Unrevoked but isn't it just a apk? You can search like above on the sticky or on xda on how to unroot.

A: 2. You can use mybackup, after you root you can keep using that or use Titanium Backup from the market (root only)

A: 3. If your a noob, (which it seems) you should use a simple root method, there are plenty. If you know about adb, toastchf's method on xda is the way to go

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A: 1. I believe so. I've never used Unrevoked but isn't it just a apk? You can search like above on the sticky or on xda on how to unroot.

A: 2. You can use mybackup, after you root you can keep using that or use Titanium Backup from the market (root only)

A: 3. If your a noob, (which it seems) you should use a simple root method, there are plenty. If you know about adb, toastchf's method on xda is the way to go

Toasted is completely right Except for the APK part :p

unrevoked3 is a program on your pc that will push the files thru Adb for you...

K so yeaaaa... There is no real simple way of doing this... just download the original RUU and use that to return to stock...

Then use simple root once your all good and stock again...

If you run into issues ummm Message Toast :p

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So all ther issues I've been having with rooting are coming from the fact that I used unrEVOked3?!?!?! :p

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So all ther issues I've been having with rooting are coming from the fact that I used unrEVOked3?!?!?! :p

Yea... I guess... maybe someone should tell the team about their screw up with the Hboot?

Personally i've been getting a sick satisfaction from all this... Considering i personally went thru hell Fixing this krap... *I didnt use Unrevoked*

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yea... I guess... maybe someone should tell the team about their screw up with the Hboot?

Personally i've been getting a sick satisfaction from all this... Considering i personally went thru hell Fixing this krap... *I didnt use Unrevoked*

W.........T..........F?!?!?!?!

New plan of action for me when I get home:

1. Un-root using the sticky in this forum.
2. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to root my phone.
3. Get pissed off cause I messed something up again.
4. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to root my phone again.
5-20. Freak the **** out cause it's not working still.
21. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to MAKE my phone be rooted.
22. Be happy because I finally have a custom ROM installed.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
W.........T..........F?!?!?!?!

New plan of action for me when I get home:

1. Un-root using the sticky in this forum.
2. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to root my phone.
3. Get pissed off cause I messed something up again.
4. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to root my phone again.
5-20. Freak the **** out cause it's not working still.
21. Use SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition to MAKE my phone be rooted.
22. Be happy because I finally have a custom ROM installed.

Dont forget post a thread about this BS sucking...

But once you finally get everything said and done... Like mine... You get bored and want to screw things up to entertain yourself...

Hence my Bored thread on here...

TehMan

Jul 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
But once you finally get everything said and done... Like mine... You get bored and want to screw things up to entertain yourself...

Hence my Bored thread on here...

which will be the result of something amazing :D

I tried unrEVOked in the beginning and jumped ship shortly after and went the simpleroot way...which is still very easy to do and works great

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No it is full root...

you have full Nand unlock and all...

The issue is using ADB to load new boot animations or Splash Screens the permissions aren't there...

Because the Hboot is not the ENG-Hboot 0.76.2000

Also you cant load Cyanogen...

Those Reasons alone for me were enough to Root Properly with ADB

but for Root Noobs that just want to try out different Roms

Unrevoked works Fine....

I UnrEVOked my buddies Evo and he's good... Nand Backups and all...

Just no Cyanogen for him... and Im not redoing that krap he can do it alone

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
He's gonna have the same fun I did trying to do full root after using unrevoked. I was content with free wifi tether but then I wanted more. It took me 2-3 hours on two different nights to get Simple Root working after unrevoked.

Starting over is a PITA! I have to say it everytime. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty