Custom ROM/radio update question...

bigmonvt

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I rooted with unrevoked 3 and now I'm finding that I may want to experiment with custom roms. I've been lurking in the forums for a while now and haven't been able to locate answers to a couple of questions...

I used ROM Manager to backup my current rom. Everything is cool, I see the rom files on the mem card. If I were to flash a custom rom and radio updates and then decide to return to my current rom, do I only need to reflash that backed up rom? What about the radio updates, would I need to obtain those in separate downloads or would the succeeding radio updates be ok to use?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

whats77inaname

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you....unrevoked and then deciding that I wanted to play w/custom roms, so I make this post fully understanding your situation. You can't install custom roms using unrevoked, you'll need to Simpleroot. At this point, however, if I were you, I'd wait until the rooted version of Froyo (2.2) comes out sometime this week. The custom Roms that will be developed in the future will be written based on Froyo, so Eclair will pretty much be obsolete, and you will have spent your time doing this, and then having to do it again very shortly.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you....unrevoked and then deciding that I wanted to play w/custom roms, so I make this post fully understanding your situation. You can't install custom roms using unrevoked, you'll need to Simpleroot. At this point, however, if I were you, I'd wait until the rooted version of Froyo (2.2) comes out sometime this week. The custom Roms that will be developed in the future will be written based on Froyo, so Eclair will pretty much be obsolete, and you will have spent your time doing this, and then having to do it again very shortly.

rooting is really just one step. once you have root you just flash roms. the only repeat step would be flashing a new rom when it comes out. no point in waiting if you don't want to. :)

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You will be able to flash Roms with Unrevoked 3...

Just download the Rom you want and place is on your SDCard...

Make a Back up *which if later you decide the Rom isnt for you just restore*

Flash the Rom using Rom Manager or just get into Recovery... Eitherway works...

Radios are just as easy to flash...

Just get into Recovery

Go to install .zip from SD

**Note you can only install one Radio at a time**

Select the Radio flash and Reboot... Then Repeat for Wimax Radio...

**BACKUPS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN THIS WHOLE THING**

K Have fun and dont screw it up... :cool:

bigmonvt

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Radios are just as easy to flash...

Just get into Recovery

Go to install .zip from SD

**Note you can only install one Radio at a time**

Select the Radio flash and Reboot... Then Repeat for Wimax Radio...

**BACKUPS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN THIS WHOLE THING**

K Have fun and dont screw it up... :cool:

Thanks d3xn2o... So there is no need to reflash the radios if I need to return back to the previous rom?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks d3xn2o... So there is no need to reflash the radios if I need to return back to the previous rom?

If you flashed them they should stick... if they dont then just flash them again :p I was running the 2.2 Radio on my personal 2.1 rom... :cool:

bigmonvt

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha, thx! One other question... Do you know if I can simpleroot on top of unrevoked 3? Or should I unroot and then use simpleroot? Seriously considering abandoning unrevoked because there seems to be much more support available for other rooting methods...