Breaking my Nova Addiction

MK Redding

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's been so long now I can't remember when it began. It must have been back in the touchwiz days when a friend or someone I thought was a friend introduced me to Nova Launcher. He said check it out it won't hurt and it's free. Being impressionable during that phase of my life and rooting just became a hassle I said sure why not, it can't hurt (the 1st one is always free). After that I found myself paying for Nova Prime and I was hooked. Jonesin' for the next release. Tweaking and tweaking to get it just right. Before I knew it I was a Nova junkie. Every new phone or tablet had Nova installed before anything. Then when the backup feature was introduced I was in too deep. I'd get a new phone, install Nova, restore my backup and I was good to go. I went from my google nexus through multiple Notes all the way to the S22U with no complaints and still have none.

This week I decided to go to rehab get cleaned up go cold turkey and embrace One UI 4 in preparation for One UI 5 to see if I could survive. Surprisingly I did. I'm not going to lie some adjustments had to be made. A couple resizable widgets are no longer resizable and that app drawer, what the hell. I mean I wish the designer of it would explain what the thought process was. Some things work in custom sort but don't work in alphabetical? puzzling but I'm ok. At least good lock got me scrolling vertically and not horizontally, and now that it does icon packs I'm good.

So I'm clean now and as all of those who get clean whether it be rehab or a program feel the need to do. I have to stand on my soapbox and preach the virtues of being clean. The one thing I noticed going through this when I would upgrade a phone shortly there after I'd question if it was a smart move. Sure the phone would be faster have a feature here or there but I would quickly come off that new phone high. Maybe that's because for the longest time I've just been putting my old phone into a new phones body (were you really expecting some startling insight? I was a junkie for Christ's sake). My advice let your phone breathe for a few before you restore that Nova backup.

And just to be clear I know Nova 8 is coming and this has nothing to do with Nova being bought by Branch. My phone just feels brand new again. But who knows I may have a relapse, require an intervention, that sort of thing. Nova 8 might be like crack and I might take a hit.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Now that was an entertaining, well told story. Thank you! :D You're on the right track, and your brothers and sisters here will have your back, through thick and thin, from relapse to intervention ;)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You will adjust to one UI. I made the switch for taskbar and nova doesn't support fold phones and there's a delay issue. I would go back to Nova if they supported folding phones. There is no right or wrong, use what you like and works for you. If it wasn't for goodlock stock would not be that great IMO

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just went back to one UI the other day from using nova from day one. I kinda like one UI for now but let's see how long it will last for me. There are so many launchers out there to choose from back in the day I tried almost all of them but as I get older and my arthritis gets worse I find myself staying with the basic.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I also have been a Nova user since my first Android device, a Nexus. I disliked vanilla Android, despite not getting a Samsung device for another 6 years. For me, the Nova withdrawal began this year, when I chose to use the beta OneUI 5 exclusively on my S22 Ultra. I had been alternating between Nova and OneUI 4 from February 2022 until the first beta OneUI 5 became available. However, it appears that my withdrawal has been completed. I'll see if I relapse or not, once OneUI 5 becomes official. :)

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I also have been a Nova user since my first Android device, a Nexus. I disliked vanilla Android, despite not getting a Samsung device for another 6 years. For me, the Nova withdrawal began this year, when I chose to use the beta OneUI 5 exclusively on my S22 Ultra. I had been alternating between Nova and OneUI 4 from February 2022 until the first beta OneUI 5 became available. However, it appears that my withdrawal has been completed. I'll see if I relapse or not, once OneUI 5 becomes official. :)
"Hi Laura"...welcome. who's your sponsor? the group has your back!

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've only been using Samsungs since 2017. I only used BlackBerrys before that since '07.

My oldest son had a couple of Samsungs during that time, an SII then an S4, so I was familiar with TouchWiz. When I got the S8, it was already shifted to OneUI, and it was not bad overall. I just didn't like some things about it.

I don't like the homogenized icon look - all of them in that squircle border.

I had installed the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite of android apps, and the UI would not pick up the current date on the calendar app icons.

I stuck with it for about 4 months before I decided to try Nova. Once I got it installed, set up what I like, that was it.

I try out the updated OneUI as it comes out. Through an S9, and now on the S20 FE.

I find no reason to switch back. The BlackBerry calendar app icon still doesn't update the date (but then Samsung's calendar app doesn't update on Nova, so there's that). The icons are still all in the ugly squircle.

I also like to have the swipe-up gesture to open the email app. Somewhat reminiscent of BB10 gestures - though not an exact replacement.

I also don't keep customizing. I set things how I like and leave it. The way it's set up now is almost exactly how I originally set it up on the S8. I may occasionally change the homescreen backgrounds, but that doesn't depend on the launcher.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've only been using Samsungs since 2017.

I also don't keep customizing. I set things how I like and leave it. The way it's set up now is almost exactly how I originally set it up on the S8. I may occasionally change the homescreen backgrounds, but that doesn't depend on the launcher.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That's what I like about Nova,I could take it from phone to phone and not have to change things, have the same set up regardless of phone you have. Another great feature, you can back up your Nova settings and restore them on new phone, an amazing time saver.

Nova mastered gestures a long time ago, way before Google thought of it.

Stock has gotten a lot better over the years, that I agree with. If you are using stock make sure to check out good lock, that adds more options to the launcher plus others options. I'm on the fence about going back to Nova, I do like the task bar on stock, but is it enough??

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Back in the day, with my Motorola Droids & Razors, I was always switching between launchers (including some cool 3d ones) and finally settled on Nova for years. Kept Nova with my Notes, starting with N2... I really did not like touchwiz at all. A few years ago someone on DF reviewed Lucid Launcher. Being something a bit different, I had to try it out and it became my launcher from phone to phone. This year with the S22U, I eventually decided to give the 1UI a shot. Probably because I kept hearing everyone talk about Good Lock. I've been good with it. I haven't gone back to my Lucid Launcher. I suppose it helps that if I need a LL fix, I can always go to my tablet that still has it as it's launcher.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Nova since my first Android model, Moto G OG, and I'm officially addicted. Now I'm using a Samsung device and even the Good Lock modules can't do the trick. They could help to have the same looks for home screen and drawer but not even close to the way I interact with my phone. I'm hooked with Nova gestures, swipe actions on icons and other Nova goodies. So, yes, I'm an addict and it seems I won't recover so soon.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the stock launcher and giving Nova a rest . There are little things that I miss from nova like the folder options, being able to resize the icons and hide the notification bar., but I've adapted to not being able to do that. The stock launcher has come a long way from TouchWiz.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I used Nova for long long time and still my favorite but stock launcher been very good so stock until I get bored

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Really liking one UI so far can't see myself going back to nova at this point.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I used Nova for many many years, but I stopped on my s22+. Decided to use nova again and only lasted a week. One UI is just much smoother and more immediate. For example, on nova when I go back to my homescreen the icons are not operable for a second or two. Seems like nothing but in real life use it got pretty annoying as I like to navigate my UI quite fast. Animations are all super smooth on one ui but not so much in nova anymore either. So I am a one UI fan!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the stock launcher and giving Nova a rest . There are little things that I miss from nova like the folder options, being able to resize the icons and hide the notification bar., but I've adapted to not being able to do that. The stock launcher has come a long way from TouchWiz.

TouchWiz kept me away from anything by Samsung for years. I didn't even consider buying Samsung devices till it was gone.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow