Can HTC/Sprint see wether or not my phone was rooted?

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my EVO a while back, and the used the RUU to return it to stock when 2.2 came out, and now there is light leakage on the bottom and I want to get it fixed by HTC. I never bought any insurance or anything, so I have to dela with HTC directly.

I'm just wondering if there are any traces of my rooting left on my device. I'm afraid that they will get it, figure out it was once rooted and tell me my warranty is void.

Also, has anyone else ever got their phone replaced through HTC? Will they send me a lender phone while mine is gone? How does it work? Thanks.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint will swap you out on the spot, or send you one in the mail and then you send the broken one back.

If you ran the RUU and superuser is no longer on your phone and you dont have any working root apps then you should be perfectly fine.

But just to be sure, go into the bootloader by pressing volume down+power while the phone is powered off. Then look in the top left and if it says S-ON, then youre good to go and they cant tell at all.

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint will swap you out on the spot, or send you one in the mail and then you send the broken one back.

If you ran the RUU and superuser is no longer on your phone and you dont have any working root apps then you should be perfectly fine.

But just to be sure, go into the bootloader by pressing volume down+power while the phone is powered off. Then look in the top left and if it says S-ON, then youre good to go and they cant tell at all.
Thanks for the answer. Thanks given from me. But even after running the stock Sprint 3.29.651.5 RUU my evo says S-Off. So what do I need to do to get it back to factory S-On? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I was rooted via unrevoked 3.21 not the forever version though.

Last edited:

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I did'nt know about the "thank" button until I read your signature, so I hit the Thank button for you :cool:

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Sprint will swap you out on the spot, or send you one in the mail and then you send the broken one back....

Sprint will only do that if you have ESRP or TEP unless you pay for 35 bucks. HTC will keep your device for 1-3 weeks and they WONT give you a loaner device. Just go to Sprint, pay the 35 and add TEP, youll have a replacement in 1-2 days and most techs wont know or even look to see if its rooted.

TheNexxuvas

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
and most techs wont know or even look to see if its rooted.

FALSE

As a corporate Sprint Tech let me give you some great advice.

Unroot it and set it back to all defaults, then come in. We all know what to look for in rooting and we cannot do much work on rooted phones specially if it ends up involving an exchange.

We have 3 main official hardware parts for the EVO. All 3 different manufacturer screens, the phone speaker, and the complete back housing.

Now, me personally since I rooted my employee phone don't mind doing any hardware repair on any rooted phone. But when someone comes in with any kind of weird software glitch, I'm sending them home to unroot.

We get watched as far as that stuff goes and there are repurcussions. I'm also on the internal communications for techs as a special contributor and multiple, multiple discussions of "what to look fors" have been posted to let techs know what people enjoy doing to their phones that are outside the scope of warranty and etc.

Techs do know what to look for, playing dumb gets you no where and we are willing, more than willing to work with ANY customer, even those like myself who enjoy rooting and its awesome benefits, but will request of you that you respect our wishes to work on your phone after it has been unrooted as far as most problems go. I've yet to meet a person that was not willing to meet me in that halfway point and bring any device back unhacked so we could go through the proper procedures. We like our jobs and our customers too, so please respect that we would love to continue doing our jobs/careers and despite what forum goers think of us. We do have families, bills to pay, kids schooling to pay for and can't do that very well when unemployed from sprint for bringing in a hacked up/messed up phone that someone who didn't follow the proper root instructions brings us and decides to take advantage of a new tech or one who missed the superuser app or something else.

It's all about respect with me. I'm a Sprint Tech, a PC tech, and a human being that is willing to work with any customers as long as they understand that we are deploying a 2 way street with this. And come on, if you are smart enough to root successfully, you are smart enough to unroot successfully too and bring it to us back in normal condition so we can help you out, which helps us out.

Sorry if I offend anyone with my post, not meant for it, just putting it out there that we all have a part to play in the task of getting you back up and running again. :cool:

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my EVO a while back, and the used the RUU to return it to stock when 2.2 came out, and now there is light leakage on the bottom and I want to get it fixed by HTC.

Hey, I had light leakage on my phone and fix it myself for $2. It saved me time and a headache and the best thing about it you couldn't tell it from a new one.

Its been almost five months since I made the repair...its so simple even a caveman can do it(sorry geico).

If you really like your phone and everything is good and you don't want to be without your phone. I suggest you go to an auto parts store and buy a small tube of black rubber silicone used for gaskets.

Put a half bead of it on your finger thats all you'll need and rub and press it on the bottom edge between the glass and plastic. Wipe off the excess clean your phone let the silicone cure for 15 mins and your done...no more light leak.

This should take you a max of 20 mins including curing time and you can still use your phone while its curing. ;)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
FALSE

Unroot it and set it back to all defaults, then come in. We all know what to look for in rooting and we cannot do much work on rooted phones specially if it ends up involving an exchange.

We have 3 main official hardware parts for the EVO. All 3 different manufacturer screens, the phone speaker, and the complete back housing.

Now, me personally since I rooted my employee phone don't mind doing any hardware repair on any rooted phone. But when someone comes in with any kind of weird software glitch, I'm sending them home to unroot.

We get watched as far as that stuff goes and there are repurcussions. I'm also on the internal communications for techs as a special contributor and multiple, multiple discussions of "what to look fors" have been posted to let techs know what people enjoy doing to their phones that are outside the scope of warranty and etc.

Techs do know what to look for, playing dumb gets you no where and we are willing, more than willing to work with ANY customer, even those like myself who enjoy rooting and its awesome benefits, but will request of you that you respect our wishes to work on your phone after it has been unrooted as far as most problems go. I've yet to meet a person that was not willing to meet me in that halfway point and bring any device back unhacked so we could go through the proper procedures. We like our jobs and our customers too, so please respect that we would love to continue doing our jobs/careers and despite what forum goers think of us. We do have families, bills to pay, kids schooling to pay for and can't do that very well when unemployed from sprint for bringing in a hacked up/messed up phone that someone who didn't follow the proper root instructions brings us and decides to take advantage of a new tech or one who missed the superuser app or something else.

It's all about respect with me. I'm a Sprint Tech, a PC tech, and a human being that is willing to work with any customers as long as they understand that we are deploying a 2 way street with this. And come on, if you are smart enough to root successfully, you are smart enough to unroot successfully too and bring it to us back in normal condition so we can help you out, which helps us out.

Sorry if I offend anyone with my post, not meant for it, just putting it out there that we all have a part to play in the task of getting you back up and running again. :cool:

I agree with you. Sprint techs have been great in the past, I've taken mine in a few times before and they've been nothing but helpful.

Although I'm guilty of tricking them in the past... ;)

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
FALSE

Definitely one of the best Sprint-employee responses I've read in quite awhile. Too bad I don't live in your area with the ability to get service at the store you work at. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty