Has Unrevoked Hurt Your Phone?

Has Unrevoked hurt your EVO?

• Total voters

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I want to see if you personally have had a bad experience with the Unrevoked rooting process.

NOT Unrevoked Forever, which is all together entirely different.

If you've had a problem please describe what it was and I'll bring up whatever issues I can with their team members or submit some bugs myself if I can re-create the issue.

Last edited:

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
worked great, took about 10 min. been flashing roms since the 1st of january.

been having trouble with phone so i've had to unroot a couple of times, however i have re-rooted about 2 or 3 times using unrevoked and it has been flawless. i've been using the version for linux.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2CupsWithString

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It worked for about a week. Then it went crazy and effed up my phone. So I went back to stock and unrooted my phone and did it a much better way.

I can see this thread turning into a war. I am calling it now. Haha.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Can the people who vote that it has hurt your phone please describe in detail what happened, thanks.

Alright. It worked great for the first week. Then it went into boot loop mode and wouldn't quite. Then when I would try and flash a rom or anything it would always come up with errors. I ended up formatting my sd card and putting a stock pc36img on my newly formatted sd card and flashed that thru hboot. Then ran unrevoked s-off. Was back to stock and not rooted. Then I rerooted the 'right' way and flashed a rom and haven't really had any problems since. Unless I try and use a Cyanogen Rom or ROM Manager.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been rooted for quite a few months with unrevoked done on a Mac and have flashed several roms and haven't had any issues. I have also rooted a couple of friends Evo's with the same results.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked 3.21 confused the hell outta me, made me unroot for froyo when it dropped.

Then I did full regular root and I learned ALOT.

krispy521

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I used unrevoked to do my first root ever. I followed the video on youtube and it was easy as pie. No problems here. This was about 2 weeks ago. I have also had no problems with using clockworkmod that it comes with.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone with unrevoked 3.21. Only did so cause my home computer was shot and I was still saving for a new one. I did the root process at my work with unrevorked because it only takes about 15 mins. I wish I could had done it through adb so I could learn more about it.

With being a firefighter, I never know when I will have to run a call nor do I know how long I could be gone and the fact our computer is near the main entrance to the building is another minus. Just anyone could walk in and mess it up or one of the medics that is there could mess it up.

For me it was the safest way at the time to root.

So far I had no problems and I hope it stays that way!! :)

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Worked fabulously for me. I don't get all the hate.

Being an idiot, I voted yes when I meant to vote no, so discount one of the yes votes.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Worked fabulously for me. I don't get all the hate.

It's not really matter of hate. Unrevoked itself doesnt really cause any problems. The biggest problem is that it really makes the rooting process too easy because all you do is install some drivers on your computer and click a button and you are rooted. There are things that you really should learn if you are going to have a rooted phone, and you don't learn anything by using unrevoked. If you are rooted, sooner or later something is likely to get screwed up (regardless of which root method you used) and you won't know where to start in order to fix the problem. Thats why we get all these "Help my evo is bricked" threads. Someone that has rooted the long way has probably already learned enough from the process to be able to fix it on their own.

All of that being said, I do have to say that I originally rooted with unrevoked. I didn't have any problems, but I soon realized that I didn't really know what was going on. So, I went back to stock and rooted the long way. Now, instead of being clueless I have learned enough that I am able to help others out when they have problems.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not really matter of hate. Unrevoked itself doesnt really cause any problems. The biggest problem is that it really makes the rooting process too easy because all you do is install some drivers on your computer and click a button and you are rooted. There are things that you really should learn if you are going to have a rooted phone, and you don't learn anything by using unrevoked. If you are rooted, sooner or later something is likely to get screwed up (regardless of which root method you used) and you won't know where to start in order to fix the problem. Thats why we get all these "Help my evo is bricked" threads. Someone that has rooted the long way has probably already learned enough from the process to be able to fix it on their own.

All of that being said, I do have to say that I originally rooted with unrevoked. I didn't have any problems, but I soon realized that I didn't really know what was going on. So, I went back to stock and rooted the long way. Now, instead of being clueless I have learned enough that I am able to help others out when they have problems.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

It might be good for some people to jump right into it and learn a lot really quickly. But for others (such as myself), it's much easier to start really easy (unrevoked) and slowly move into more complex things.

I used unrevoked and am confident enough in myself to fix it myself.

But, to each their own.

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I used unrevoked last July when I first got my Evo just to get Wireless Tether. When the 2.2 OTA came out, I realized the problems that could occur and ended up flashing the original Evo RUU (don't remember the number anymore) and used OTA updates to get to the stock 2.2.

With the newer versions of unrevoked (and now that I had a better understanding of how things worked), I gave them a shot again since I knew how I could "fix" it. Haven't had any issues and have been trying out new ROMs, making theme changes, backups, etc since. I'm happy now.

anvicoto

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I used the new unrevoked method since the 1st of the year, no problems so far.....I have flashed and restored quite a few roms.

Sent from my unrEVOked rooted PC36100 using Tapatalk ;)

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Alright. It worked great for the first week. Then it went into boot loop mode and wouldn't quite. Then when I would try and flash a rom or anything it would always come up with errors. I ended up formatting my sd card and putting a stock pc36img on my newly formatted sd card and flashed that thru hboot. Then ran unrevoked s-off. Was back to stock and not rooted. Then I rerooted the 'right' way and flashed a rom and haven't really had any problems since. Unless I try and use a Cyanogen Rom or ROM Manager.

Whats the "right" way?

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Whats the "right" way?

By going through ADB to root your phone instead of letting a program like unrevoked that doesn't share how the root process is done.

By doing it through ADB its easier for the ones that know it the method well to help when things go wrong.

By unrevoked not saying how the root process is done, its hard to help if no one knows the steps or where it went wrong.