Has Unrevoked Hurt Your Phone?

Has Unrevoked hurt your EVO?

• Total voters

dirkyd3rk

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I used unrevoked on my evo when froyo was shipping on the evos around last xmas. My phone came with the 2.10hboot and the unrevoked I used leaves me with no fastboot. I need fastboot should I unroot and use unrevoked forever or can I downgrade my hboot without bricking my phone since it has newer partitions.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used it and haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. Any issues I've had have been with the ROMs.

Those against it are nerdy-snobs. It works fine.
Reading the replies, I've noticed the contradictory nerd snobbery too. The same people who sneer at people for not rooting their phones are demanding they do it the most difficult way. It's the same attitude that holds Linux adoption back: on one hand the nerds bark that people should abandon Windows, but when anyone asks what to do with Linux, the nerds snap, "Read the wiki, n00b!" Real helpful. It's the same as those who think if you don't code your web site in Notepad - forgoing all the efficiency benefits a comprehensive WYSIWYG editor can provide - then you have no business having a site.

Reactions: fparkin

dcatiller

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I used Unrevoked 3 In December (after the last OTA). No problems whatsoever, and I've tweaked, geeked and otherwise freaked my phone with ROMs, kernels, etc. It is a solid root method. The EVO was my first Android phone (day 1 purchase) and I've had to completely unroot and go back to stock for an insurance claim, then used Unrevoked to root again and re-tweak.

I don't get the hate at all, and agree that it is ultimately snobish. I've worked with Linux for over 16 years and computers for over 25. I've seen this kind of snobish need to create an exclusive club of the capable many times before. Sure I could have rooted the long way, but I have better things to do and an awesome 1-click tool to root with. As for those who use the 1-click and brick their phones due to a lack of knowledge or research, I support their freedom to do so, and hope they don't bash the tool for it. This world has all kinds and we can't take powerful tools away from those who use them correctly in order to keep "noobs" out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigFace

k20jonny

May 6, 2011
Visit site
It just confused me. Im still confused. i would like to unroot my evo4g and return it back to its original state. But im not clear on that. Theres got to be a million DIY's on the internet on how to root your evo 4g. If anyone can point me in the right direction i would highly appriciate it.

This is the version im on:

andriod: 2.2
software number: 3.70.651.1
pri version: 1.90_003
Hardware version:0004

Also, im new to rooting should i have used unrevoked3 or something more "easy" to understand?

Thank you

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Jerry Hildenbrand had an editorial recently called, "Sometimes, root isn't the answer," which basically said it was OK to not root. Nerd-snobs act as if their pen protectors will leave them if they don't sneer "bloatware" in at least 15 forum posts a day. It reminds me of the jackholes I used to see on a PC news site who'd spam any and every post with, "Get a Mac!" or "Linux is ready to crush M$. Freedom!" Get a grip, kids.

relee74

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using Unrevoked a couple of times, most recently this morning. I keep getting the error message: "Root failed. Is your software version too new?" So screw it, I'll keep the stock settings.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing remotely "snobish" about recommending the longer and correct way. What people don't realize is it goes way beyond just the actual rooting part. I haven't been on AC in a while now... But for longest time it was the same nonsense. Someone trying to do something AFTERWARDS that caused an issue. But because they didnt take the time to read and learn the correct way to do it, they're now stuck. To make matters worse is when you try to help them, they have no idea what you're talking about. They have no idea what ABD is, they have no idea what it means to "push" a file to your phone or anything like that. They have no idea how to do a logcat during a bootloop for example.. I lost track of how many times myself and some of the other original Evo Hacks section users tried to help someone with a problem *after* using unrevoked but couldn't because they had no idea how to do the most basic ABD commands or hell even knew what ABD was and how to set it up. I lost track of how many times someone would root and find themselves having issues doing stuff that's specific for root users because something didnt go right during the root process. And since nobody knows what unrevoked actually does behind the scenes, they're SOL.

So ya, nothing snobish about wanting people to do it the correct way so we can actually help them when issues arise. Contrary to what you guys may think, we had the best intentions of pushing people to do it the right way. There's a reason why so many of us stopped posting here. A big part of the reason is from people calling us "snobish" or "elitists" because we were so anti unrevoked meanwhile we were looking out for their best intentions. But w/e, call us whatever you want, do whatever you want. All I know is I when things hit the fan with my phone, I know what to do, and all i tried to do was spread that knowledge to other people. Wish you all the best.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing remotely "snobish" about recommending the longer and correct way. What people don't realize is it goes way beyond just the actual rooting part. I haven't been on AC in a while now... But for longest time it was the same nonsense. Someone trying to do something AFTERWARDS that caused an issue. But because they didnt take the time to read and learn the correct way to do it, they're now stuck. To make matters worse is when you try to help them, they have no idea what you're talking about. They have no idea what ABD is, they have no idea what it means to "push" a file to your phone or anything like that. They have no idea how to do a logcat during a bootloop for example.. I lost track of how many times myself and some of the other original Evo Hacks section users tried to help someone with a problem *after* using unrevoked but couldn't because they had no idea how to do the most basic ABD commands or hell even knew what ABD was and how to set it up. I lost track of how many times someone would root and find themselves having issues doing stuff that's specific for root users because something didnt go right during the root process. And since nobody knows what unrevoked actually does behind the scenes, they're SOL.

So ya, nothing snobish about wanting people to do it the correct way so we can actually help them when issues arise. Contrary to what you guys may think, we had the best intentions of pushing people to do it the right way. There's a reason why so many of us stopped posting here. A big part of the reason is from people calling us "snobish" or "elitists" because we were so anti unrevoked meanwhile we were looking out for their best intentions. But w/e, call us whatever you want, do whatever you want. All I know is I when things hit the fan with my phone, I know what to do, and all i tried to do was spread that knowledge to other people. Wish you all the best.

Got to say that you and the others that I don't see anymore (whether they got different phones or just left) where very helpful when I first came here. Your help hasn't went unforgotten!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii