running cm6.1.2... now new kernel?

gshurling

May 20, 2010
Visit site
hey everyone, I'm new to rooting and flashing ROMs on my EVO. I'm currently running CM6.1.2, have been reading about kernels. Does CM come with an optimized kernel already or do I need to change that too? I'm mainly interested in increasing battery life. I don't game, or watch alot of HD video, or anything that I would classify as CPU intense. If I need to, which kernel would yall recomend and how do I do it? thanks, I'm loving my new hobby.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
hey everyone, I'm new to rooting and flashing ROMs on my EVO. I'm currently running CM6.1.2, have been reading about kernels. Does CM come with an optimized kernel already or do I need to change that too? I'm mainly interested in increasing battery life. I don't game, or watch alot of HD video, or anything that I would classify as CPU intense. If I need to, which kernel would yall recomend and how do I do it? thanks, I'm loving my new hobby.

What kind of battery life are you getting now? That will give me (or others) a better idea to recommend

gshurling

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting about 7 hrs out of the standard battery. Cell standby usually Accts for about 40-50% of the battery. Android system is next.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting about 7 hrs out of the standard battery. Cell standby usually Accts for about 40-50% of the battery. Android system is next.

Less than what I thought since you don't put a lot of strain on the phone.

For cm6 snap is a real popular kernel, there is also savage, and zendroid.

Here is a link to the kernels plus others that will work for cm6. They are all listed under AOSP, plus there are benchmarks if you want to see how they hold up.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Id recommend taking the step up to CM7 also, working 4G + HDMI. Besides your kernel options are wider and battery life is better (for me at least).

gshurling

May 20, 2010
Visit site
ok thanks guys, I'm in a really sketchy area for CDMA and I think that has alot to do with it. Is the GPS fully operational in CM7? I run and rely heavily on on CardioTrainer, and when I flashed CM7 the speedometer seemed to be a bit off. Maybe I was just having a bad day though :)

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I been using CM7 since the first nightly and the battery life has been great for me, but I'm not in a sketchy area for signal.

I'm also not a gamer but I get a lot of text and emails. I do watch an occasional youtube and I do spend a lot of time on the internet.

I get an average of 18hrs. With light usage I can get a day.

Some do have issues with gps but there is a method to make it flawless. Take a quick glance here. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...33-official-cyanogenmod-7-discussion-168.html. I re-posted the fix for a few users.

J Snazzy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been rocking savged zen for froyo on cm6 and am currently at 24 hours and 30 minutes with 55% percent left. Light usage here, most standby and wifi usage.

When you aren't using your phone with this kernal it last forever.

gshurling

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that would sure be nice! Thanks for the heads up. Think that kernel will work for CM7, cause I just switched over:)

J Snazzy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that would sure be nice! Thanks for the heads up. Think that kernel will work for CM7, cause I just switched over:)

I've heard it's even better on 7. I would go cfs as those are more stable from what I have read.

Ended up going around 28 hours with 19% left.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa