How Do I Get My EVO 4G Back to Froyo 2.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smccarthy945#AC

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I know a little bit about Android flashing, etc but I am no where near an expert. I have spent about three days trying to figure out how to get my phone back to the Froyo 2.2 release without any luck.

I followed the RUU document pinned on this forum and was able to flash the phone back to 2.1 update 1. The problem is that once you are on update 2.1, Sprint never sends you any more OTA updates. I am unable to get the phone to update to 2.2.

I have tried a few other methods and I have only been able to flash the phone to 2.1. How do I get the phone to a factory 2.2 so I can take an OTA 2.3 update? I rooted the phone before and that's why I need to get it back to a factory 2.2.

Thank you in advance.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you not root an evo on 2.1? Have you tried to get the stock 2.2 RUU and rename it PC36IMG and place on root of sd card. Turn off phone, and enter Hboot (hold vol down and power button down at the same time) It will search a few things and upload the PC36IMG. This will take a few mins and then it will ask you if you want to update. Hit Yes and it should flash 2.2 to the phone. Make sure you have a good charge on your phone first as this will drain a good bit of it and if it dies while trying to flash, you have a $450 paper weight.s

smccarthy945#AC

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you not root an evo on 2.1? Have you tried to get the stock 2.2 RUU and rename it PC36IMG and place on root of sd card. Turn off phone, and enter Hboot (hold vol down and power button down at the same time) It will search a few things and upload the PC36IMG. This will take a few mins and then it will ask you if you want to update. Hit Yes and it should flash 2.2 to the phone. Make sure you have a good charge on your phone first as this will drain a good bit of it and if it dies while trying to flash, you have a $450 paper weight.s

Where do I get the 2.2 RUU file? I have been looking all over for it? Thanks.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, if I do this will I lose all my info and such? Will I have to download all my apps again?

yep....running the RUU will completely wipe your phone. Your contacts should already by backed up with Google...if they are not...do that lol and make a list of the apps that you have so that you can redownload them afterward (any paid apps Google keeps track of so you can just go to "My Apps" in the market and just hit install)

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, if I do this will I lose all my info and such? Will I have to download all my apps again?

If you are unrooted, as it seems you are, yes you will lose everything. If you are rooted grab the free version of titanium backup, backup all your apps to your SD card. Flash, redownload titanium backup, and restore apps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rsaylor78

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am unable to boot into Hboot. Every time I try the screen just stays black. When I release the keys the sprint logo comes up and the phone boots. Any ideas? I'm on 2.3.3 and want to go back to 2.2.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you tried the 3.70 zip file and it didn't work you might be stuck.

I don't think you will be able to since you went to 2.3 and the hboot updated also with it. You might have to wait for root and flash then.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rsaylor78

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
No option to continue anyway. RUU says the bootloader is the wrong version. I've tried the 3.70 version, and once I saw the error I was worried that I was stuck till we can root 2.3.3. Thank for the help.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I am completely new to flash backs and rom (need a newbie version) i tried the 3.70 flashback (put on sd card, hold power and down, get white screen, phone tries to boot PC36IMG and says update failed because the version is older) any way around this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Punchntheteeth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress