Camera locking, distorted pics, rebooting

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My phone just began this oddity a few days ago.

Just to clear this up now...The phone was completely wiped and 2.3.3 installed as "new" about 3 weeks ago in effort to fix the 2.3 upgrade issues. MANY have been fixed since that (will post info for others on that later). The camera has been just fine until now.

1) Pics suddenly distorted the "side" of the pic (right for vertical / top for horizontal). It would take the pic and look very good in the immediate preview and thumbnail. However, when I open the pic, the entire side would look as if it tried to repeat a portion on the image and ghosted over what was there. Sometimes it has been a fourth of the image; sometimes it has been more. Once opened like this, it is a permanent effect and even appears this way when copied elsewhere such as facebook.
I thought it might have been a slightly low (medium lamp) lighting issue, but these pics have always taken well before. Then it started happening more and not very consistently in that light. However, full light pics are fine.
I've checked the memory and storage but all is good.
Lastly, I did the "press the lense frame" thing but have not loose issues that I can see. I read people's issues and solution like this to 2 color image issues in the past. I gave it a try, but it had not effect.

2) The phone started rebooting while using the camera for a bit. The only new condition in that was "airplane" mode to save battery in a museum and leave off the data connection. This kept happening with reboots taking FOREVER.

The battery temp was fine, however, as was memory and such.

3) An additional issue in these days was that the camera (which was begin brought up from the timeout screen wouldn't come on. The homescreen worked, but even trying to "re-open" the camera would not work. I even tried other camera apps but would only get a completely blank screen so it couldn't be only the stock software. I had to reboot the phone to get the camera to start again although the issue repeated itself once requiring another reboot (within an hour). The regular, device initiated reboots started happening after that.

Anyone else?

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone just began this oddity a few days ago.

Just to clear this up now...The phone was completely wiped and 2.3.3 installed as "new" about 3 weeks ago in effort to fix the 2.3 upgrade issues. MANY have been fixed since that (will post info for others on that later). The camera has been just fine until now.

1) Pics suddenly distorted the "side" of the pic (right for vertical / top for horizontal). It would take the pic and look very good in the immediate preview and thumbnail. However, when I open the pic, the entire side would look as if it tried to repeat a portion on the image and ghosted over what was there. Sometimes it has been a fourth of the image; sometimes it has been more. Once opened like this, it is a permanent effect and even appears this way when copied elsewhere such as facebook.
I thought it might have been a slightly low (medium lamp) lighting issue, but these pics have always taken well before. Then it started happening more and not very consistently in that light. However, full light pics are fine.
I've checked the memory and storage but all is good.
Lastly, I did the "press the lense frame" thing but have not loose issues that I can see. I read people's issues and solution like this to 2 color image issues in the past. I gave it a try, but it had not effect.
Anyone else?

I noticed the same exact issue yesterday - I had trouble forcing the camera to create the distortion, but it seemed to happen if I used the zoom, and took a picture of something over 12" away.

I caught a really great snapshot of my daughter that looked fine at first, but was a mess when I tried to share it. Bummer.

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Get the camera in the evo replaced. I had the same problem. It got to the point it would reboot the phone after just a few photos. After Sprint Tech replaced it, no problems. Sprint said the cameras unseat from the board or something along those lines. The good news it is a quick and easy fix. Just make sure to save some of the bad pics to show them.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My camera started going berserk over the weekend while I was out of town. It seemed that after every shot, I had about a 30% chance of the phone locking up and then rebooting. Once it completely froze and I was forced to yank the battery to reset it. I thought it was Google+ and its auto-upload feature, but disabling that didn't do much good. I'll probably take it in to a Sprint store and have them check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699