Question about the 4g

Carsten23

May 5, 2010
www.facebook.com
I have been on long time reader and decided to sign up :)

OK I looked everywhere on this one and I have to questions. My first one is since it is 3g and 4g I know it says with 4g you can have 8 wifi devices on at one time but if you don't have 4g and have 3g will you still be able to use it as a mini router and be able to connect devices to the phone??

My other one is I have a Samsung Instinct and I was wondering does the Evo have wireless backup? Like I have all my phone numbers on sprints mobile sync and was wondering if the Evo would have that?

jamiespeck

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I would think that what ever your connection is at is what it will send it so if your on 4g and using it as a mini router that what it sends out and on 3g would do the same.

Its got goggle all u have to do if load all your contacts in goggle or in the evo and it should send them to goggle and be backed up there. i just got rid of my pre and got a hero to play with the android till it comes out and i just loaded my contacts in goggle and it sent them to my hero when it got activated.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The Evo's router ability is just like a mifi device. It broadcasts its data connection regardless of what speed of data connection it has.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The capability will be similar to the Mifi and Overdrive where it broadcasts the cell signal as a wireless access point. Other devices already have the feature (like my Touch Pro 2) so it's really nothing new. However the ability to connect eight devices over 4G is certainly nice. I believe it's been reported that you'd still be able to share over 3G if you're not in WiMAX coverage.

As for backing up, that shouldn't be a problem. I think the EVO would probably have a wireless backup solution for Sprint. However even if it doesn't, you can always sync with Google for e-mail, contacts, and calendar. That's what I do, so I never lose that data no matter what device I may switch to.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what affect this will have on gaming online using consoles. Cell phone signals can change instantly and even go back without the device signal strength showing it so will that cause lag or glitches? And also how well will it run in the first place supposing there's a stable signal of only 3g with full bars... Hmm.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I tether my computer (a lot lately) and haven't had any drop outs. Plus 3G on a laptop is much faster than 3G on a phone. It was faster than the internet at my sister's place (DSL, God rest her poor soul) and never cut out. My limitation is usually before my phone gets too hot using the wifi-tether. If its something that doesn't require secure websites, then I just use PDAnet. Its fast enough to stream video, but likely you would have a problem with gaming as upload rates aren't fantastic on Sprint's 3G. Then again, I only tested it so far in 1 city. I can try it where I am now (just moved) and report back with a guestimate upload speed.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I tether my computer (a lot lately) and haven't had any drop outs. Plus 3G on a laptop is much faster than 3G on a phone. It was faster than the internet at my sister's place (DSL, God rest her poor soul) and never cut out. My limitation is usually before my phone gets too hot using the wifi-tether. If its something that doesn't require secure websites, then I just use PDAnet. Its fast enough to stream video, but likely you would have a problem with gaming as upload rates aren't fantastic on Sprint's 3G. Then again, I only tested it so far in 1 city. I can try it where I am now (just moved) and report back with a guestimate upload speed.

Good info to know! Yea if you get the chance definitely post the results I'm sure everybody would be interested to know. Maybe the release of the evo will suprise us all and beat you to the test with it in all of our hands ;) wishfull thinking.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Nope, pretty much same speed (faster download at my last location, but the tower was in the backyard). I suspect if you are in a 4G town, not an issue... if you are using a Nintendo DS, also probably not going to be an issue, PS3/Xbox360... issues on 3G

Carsten23

May 5, 2010
www.facebook.com
That you very much! I travel a lot and I I would love to use my laptop and browse the internet the whole trip. I will be getting 4g in my area around the Cleveland area but I know I have 3g and I can't wait to have a "wireless router" in my pocket connecting my iPod Touch. One other question is I think it does but does it also have wifi on it alone with the 4g and 3g?

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by the wifi on it alone with the 4G and 3G? If you are asking if it can connect to wifi networks, I'd count on it.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
im gonna start buying the accessories for the evo. does anyone know which bluetooth would work better for the evo. im looking at that jawbone icon i seened on the poster